Stealing From The Poor

https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-files-lawsuit-recoup-24m-210439236.html

Perhaps the most heinous crime of all.  Exactly why public functions should not be privatized,,, corruption.  Totally unfounded but, I would guess these folks got some help from "public servants" and, I would guess that this is not an isolated incident.

• Like 1

I believe that private prisons are and should be unconstitutional.  If we are going to allow them to exist, they should not get the benefits of government ran prisons in terms of liability for wrongdoing.

In the same vein, I am also very skeptical of private charities with little history of good works receiving large amounts of public funds.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-files-lawsuit-recoup-24m-210439236.html

Perhaps the most heinous crime of all.  Exactly why public functions should not be privatized,,, corruption.  Totally unfounded but, I would guess these folks got some help from "public servants" and, I would guess that this is not an isolated incident.

people just do not care about people like they used to. maybe they never did. i read all the harry bosch police novels and they are wonderful. he has a motto he lives but and i love it and have tried to live by it."everybody counts or nobody counts". it is very simple and basic but it is such a powerful statement".  Everyone should count. brett and those guys should be ashamed but the guys feeding them that money should go to jail.

That's just old fashioned corruption right there. 

Article doesn't really go into what role the State Human Resources Department played in it all. Were they just handing out money and "hoping" it went to the right people and causes? Was the agency doing it's own due diligence and auditing where the money was going? Did it have an obligation to? 

If the State Human Resources department messed up that bad then maybe the Feds need to come to Mississippi and take a closer look at things. 

And all this in the poorest state in the nation with the people most in need of that assistance. sick. 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:40 PM, AU9377 said:

I believe that private prisons are and should be unconstitutional.  If we are going to allow them to exist, they should not get the benefits of government ran prisons in terms of liability for wrongdoing.

In the same vein, I am also very skeptical of private charities with little history of good works receiving large amounts of public funds.

I agree. If our public system of government arrests a person, tries a person and holds a person....that person should serve in a public prison. Private prisons should be illegal. 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I agree. If our public system of government arrests a person, tries a person and holds a person....that person should serve in a public prison. Private prisons should be illegal. 

This sums it up perfectly.   I am completely against privatization of prisons.  

I also think our government is way too loose with “handing out” money to organizations that aren’t properly vetted and don’t have enough oversight.  

And finally, people that defraud the government should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GoAU said:

This sums it up perfectly.   I am completely against privatization of prisons.  

I also think our government is way too loose with “handing out” money to organizations that aren’t properly vetted and don’t have enough oversight.  

And finally, people that defraud the government should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  

Rick Scott would be an excellent place to start.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/fl-op-col-rick-scott-medicare-fraud-20181002-story.html

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2014/mar/03/florida-democratic-party/rick-scott-rick-scott-oversaw-largest-medicare-fra/

How would you all feel if public funds were used for private education? 

• Dislike 4

There’s a place for private enterprise but this isn’t one of them. 

• Like 1

Youre placing the blame on the wrong places. Well obviously the people that used influence and all are to blame, but the systematic bureaucric problem that allows this is much more important to fight. That can only be done through decentralization. Trying to centralized even at the state level is too big. The successful social programs of foreign countries only work because of decentrization, almost to an extreme level. 

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

Privatization isn't the issue. The problem is the size and scope and monies within massive systems which breed corruption. 

Privatization is an issue.  Under the guise of "small government" we have been privatizing for years.  We have reduced government employees.  Yet, we have increased the cost of government.  Our debt/deficit is a reflection.  Seems "small government" is very, very expensive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Youre placing the blame on the wrong places. Well obviously the people that used influence and all are to blame, but the systematic bureaucric problem that allows this is much more important to fight. That can only be done through decentralization. Trying to centralized even at the state level is too big. The successful social programs of foreign countries only work because of decentrization, almost to an extreme level. 

That theory is precisely how federal dollars for the poor wound up in the pocket of Brett Favre.  Are you not following?

47 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

That theory is precisely how federal dollars for the poor wound up in the pocket of Brett Favre.  Are you not following?

51 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Privatization is an issue.  Under the guise of "small government" we have been privatizing for years.  We have reduced government employees.  Yet, we have increased the cost of government.  Our debt/deficit is a reflection.  Seems "small government" is very, very expensive.

You're claim that the current move of 'decentrialization' is anything more than a farce. The same big bureaucratic institutions are still in control, just under different masters. Individuals without any real accountability operating in overly complex institutions which allows the corruption to exist.  

If you think that this is a symptom of privatization you're either uninformed of how corrupt federal actors are or purposefully blind. 

9 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

You're claim that the current move of 'decentrialization' is anything more than a farce. The same big bureaucratic institutions are still in control, just under different masters. Individuals without any real accountability operating in overly complex institutions which allows the corruption to exist.  

If you think that this is a symptom of privatization you're either uninformed of how corrupt federal actors are or purposefully blind. 

I do not understand what you are attempting to say.