Speaking of program direction, great interview with Marquis Burks

homersapien

Is this the interview where he says Auburn has a lot 1st round talent on the defensive side of the ball?  Was that someone else?

The one thing about every interview is how hard the players are working both because of how hard the coaches are pushing and how much the players want it. Also in every interview the speed this team has if combined with technique and we could be good. This year not only do we have talent but we have depth throughout the defense with exception of Edge but we have studs there.  The real question is can we find a QB and has O-line improved especially run blocking as pass blocking wasn't that bad last year.

It was interesting when picking guy that gives him most trouble he picked Brahm's.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarEagle231 said:

Trying to think of a way to be negative about this interview...I'll come back when I think of something

There will be plenty of help with that, I bet!!

5 hours ago, WarEagle231 said:

Trying to think of a way to be negative about this interview...I'll come back when I think of something

Go hang out in the Recruiting Forum for awhile. That will get you in the right frame of mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Couple of interesting things he said. When they asked if Hars is a disciplinarian like portrayed, and he started stumbling a bit at first, I panicked, but then his answer was not what I was expecting and made a lot of sense.

He said that Hars and the coaches aren't the disciplinarians themselves, rather, the culture is now that the players police themselves. Basically they make sure that everyone's on time for the 6:00am meetings, etc. I like this. That makes a ton of sense to me. My guess is that Hars and co had to be more hands on with that as they instilled that and waited for the team to step into that self-policing mode, and now that everyone there is either his recruits or Gus guys that bought in, it's no longer a big problem like it was

• Like 4
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, au302 said:

Couple of interesting things he said. When they asked if Hars is a disciplinarian like portrayed, and he started stumbling a bit at first, I panicked, but then his answer was not what I was expecting and made a lot of sense.

He said that Hars and the coaches aren't the disciplinarians themselves, rather, the culture is now that the players police themselves. Basically they make sure that everyone's on time for the 6:00am meetings, etc. I like this. That makes a ton of sense to me. My guess is that Hars and co had to be more hands on with that as they instilled that and waited for the team to step into that self-policing mode, and now that everyone there is either his recruits or Gus guys that bought in, it's no longer a big problem like it was

Good take. We may not be loaded with  5 star kids, but discipline and attention to detail and coaching, can go a long way. Depending on our O Line play and getting the right QB back there, AU may surprise a few people. I for one think Harsin deserves 3 years, but recruiting still needs to improve by leaps and bounds. Can’t live and die by the portal. Just my thoughts. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 3:47 PM, WarEagle231 said:

How about the part where he said our OL is developing a more "nasty" attitude because of playing against our DL who has a nasty attitude?  

(j/k)    ;D

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 4:27 PM, Old fan 47 said:

Good take. We may not be loaded with  5 star kids, but discipline and attention to detail and coaching, can go a long way. Depending on our O Line play and getting the right QB back there, AU may surprise a few people. I for one think Harsin deserves 3 years, but recruiting still needs to improve by leaps and bounds. Can’t live and die by the portal. Just my thoughts. 

20-30 years ago this was true. Today if you don't have the hosses, coaching can only go so far. While we may steal a win, to play with the big dogs, you need the coaching and athletes. 

Recruiting is the most important aspect of success in college football. 

30 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

20-30 years ago this was true. Today if you don't have the hosses, coaching can only go so far. While we may steal a win, to play with the big dogs, you need the coaching and athletes. 

Agreed, but as we were last year, we are already behind the 8 ball. This ain’t Idaho

On 7/9/2022 at 3:27 PM, Old fan 47 said:

Harsin isn't the problem with recruiting, the ghost in the closets behind the scenes is the problem, the guys who want their toy back is what hurting Auburn recruiting. Also, we need to get out of the Under Armour contract  ASAP!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Recruiting is definitely important but as we found out with Malzahn, coaching is a close second in importance.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Recruiting is definitely important but as we found out with Malzahn, coaching is a close second in importance.

Malzahn made great classes full of the wrong people. Even with his big big problems with system and simplicity causing issues, we still competed for an SEC title and defeatediltiple number 1 teams. 

If he would have correctly recruited OL, he is probably still our coach.

Edited by GunsmithAU
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

Malzahn made great classes full of the wrong people. Even with his big big problems with system and simplicity causing issues, we still competed for an SEC title and defeatediltiple number 1 teams. 

If he would have correctly recruited OL, he is probably still our coach.

He would need to change a very stagnet offense. Only worked with out of this workd QB’s

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

He would need to change a very stagnet offense. Only worked with out of this workd QB’s

No, it only worked with above average OL. 

Every year we had a great QB, we also had an amazing OL. If the malzahn O couldn't run it down your throat, it didn't work. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Reference 2017, Sridhar played well, but it was the OL and KJ who led us to back to back #1 wins. 

On 7/11/2022 at 3:59 PM, GunsmithAU said:

Reference 2017, Sridhar played well, but it was the OL and KJ who led us to back to back #1 wins. 

I may not be remembering correctly but was the 2017 OL actually good or was Kerryon doing his best LeVeon Bell impression with defenders in the backfield? 

• Thanks 1

Seems promising but what the players that left the program said about Harsin not understanding kids from different backgrounds or the south really limits what the ceiling is for our program under his leadership IMO

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

I may not be remembering correctly but was the 2017 OL actually good or was Kerryon doing his best LeVeon Bell impression with defenders in the backfield? 

He played Bell all season. KJ in interviews said his game really exploded when he started watching a lot of Bells tape and emulating his style. 

I mean that in the let holes develop then explode through, not the play Houdini way. 

10 hours ago, Tiger said:

That OL with Cox as the H back was pretty good. That was a solid group 

14 hours ago, Tiger said:

Seems promising but what the players that left the program said about Harsin not understanding kids from different backgrounds or the south really limits what the ceiling is for our program under his leadership IMO

Those were perceptions/conclusions that look incorrect to me. Surely he doesn’t have all the same backgrounds in this years team that appears to be staunchly supportive of Harsin. Why we would choose to lay hold (as gospel) those perceptions of people that have chose to move on , over those that stayed to continue to do their best for AU is beyond me. I am fully supportive of the AU 2022 football team (which obviously includes the present coaching staff).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1