2017 vs 2019

The idea is basically who was the better team, sans QB. 

i was rewatching the 2019 UGA game thinking, “this was really a great team outside of the RB depth and Bo”. OL was not great at run blocking, but that Mickey Mouse scheme didn’t do anything to alleviate things for them. I think I’d take 2017, just bc of how good our RB options were and how we could run on elite teams, but I really do love that 2019 defense against the run. If it was a h2h instead of which one you prefer, the 2019 one was built perfectly to stop our 2017 O 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The idea is basically who was the better team, sans QB. 

i was rewatching the 2019 UGA game thinking, “this was really a great team outside of the RB depth and Bo”. OL was not great at run blocking, but that Mickey Mouse scheme didn’t do anything to alleviate things for them. I think I’d take 2017, just bc of how good our RB options were and how we could run on elite teams, but I really do love that 2019 defense against the run. If it was a h2h instead of which one you prefer, the 2019 one was built perfectly to stop our 2017 O 

I agree. I think with adequate offense 2019s team wins the west. The defense did their job against LSU just didn’t get much help from the O

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, e808 said:

I agree. I think with adequate offense 2019s team wins the west. The defense did their job against LSU just didn’t get much help from the O

That LSU game ended up being an all time greater once you contextualize it

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn had good players on the defensive side to execute that game plan which can’t be understated.

• Like 1

2017 had no business NOT being in the playoffs. Top to bottom, that was a very talented bunch.

I will say just based off of potential that 2015 would’ve been scary. Prior to that season, majority and I mean majority of pundits had us going to the national championship or at least for sure winning the SEC championship. Ugh the pain. 

2017. Dominated both UGA and UAT. Took their foot off the throat of LSU. A QB (Stidham) who could actually complete a deep ball with regularity (Slayton).  And had beautiful chemistry with first down machine Ryan Davis, who was unguardable in some games. A healthy Kerryon guarantees a trip to the CFP.

2 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

2017. Dominated both UGA and UAT. Took their foot off the throat of LSU. A QB (Stidham) who could actually complete a deep ball with regularity (Slayton).  And had beautiful chemistry with first down machine Ryan Davis, who was unguardable in some games. A healthy Kerryon guarantees a trip to the CFP.

Or if Bubba hadn’t been such a dumb*ss (injuries do tend to happen when playing that tough a schedule). Or if we had done an easier OOC home and home those two years. Or if we hadn’t choked in BR.

But yeah, I’d argue 2017 team was on a power level better than 2013. #ISaidIt

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Or if Bubba hadn’t been such a dumb*ss (injuries do tend to happen when playing that tough a schedule). Or if we had done an easier OOC home and home those two years. Or if we hadn’t choked in BR.

But yeah, I’d argue 2017 team was on a power level better than 2013. #ISaidIt

I honestly think 2017 was the most talented AU team of the decade. The fact we didn't make playoffs is an absolute travesty. Ole 4 game Gus....and the LSU choke....ugh.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

I honestly think 2017 was the most talented AU team of the decade. The fact we didn't make playoffs is an absolute travesty. Ole 4 game Gus....and the LSU choke....ugh.

2017 LSU is tied with 2014 A&M for the third most painful loss of the 2010s (after 2013 NC and 2018-19 F4).

But 2017 (and actually, 2019 too) is still a case in point of why I think the SEC scheduling system is grossly inequitable and needs to be reformed.

2017’s median SEC regular season game margin was even higher than 2004!

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

2017 LSU is tied with 2014 A&M for the third most painful loss of the 2010s (after 2013 NC and 2018-19 F4).

But 2017 is still a case in point of why I think the SEC scheduling system is grossly inequitable and needs to be reformed.

2017’s median SEC regular season game margin was even higher than 2004!

That A&M loss still haunts me worse than any from the Gus era. I think because I still had so much stock in Gus even after the NC let down. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That A&M loss still haunts me worse than any from the Gus era. I think because I still had so much stock in Gus even after the NC let down. 

Worst Auburn loss I’ve seen outside of the final 4 and the natty 

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ve never came close to crying after an Auburn loss in any situation other than the 2014 A&M L. Getting back to the red zone and fumbling it again was beyond disheartening.

Laid on my floor for the longest time. God, that sucked. 

• Like 1

2017 was the better team but 2019 the better defense. We'll probably never have a defense that good again. They slowed practically everyone, including Burrow, but our offense was horrible 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

2017 was the better team but 2019 the better defense. We'll probably never have a defense that good again. They slowed practically everyone, including Burrow, but our offense was horrible 

I don’t think it was horrible per se, but the over reliance on treating Nix like a tenured veteran that could do everything and make every throw…not great 

Aside from the obvious with the OL, Bo was probably the first fresh face Gus willingly trotted out that couldn’t reliably hit his “easy” plays. He was a very not safe ball carrier, he would throw bubble screens off platform, and the deep ball, especially while moving coming off of play action…man. 

I wish he could’ve did more to convince Malik to stay, just so we could have had a different look out there when it got real bad. Not sure what Malik would’ve been here, but he looked capable of doing the easy Gus things in his short stint. Something like the Florida game, we just needed a guy who wouldn’t f up, pardon my French. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ve never came close to crying after an Auburn loss in any situation other than the 2014 A&M L. Getting back to the red zone and fumbling it again was beyond disheartening.

I can’t talk about it. I’ve never said words like that before . I’m leaving the board lol. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I can’t talk about it. I’ve never said words like that before . I’m leaving the board lol. 

I feel okay admitting how deeply committed I was to sports once upon a time just because I got my life slightly figured out since then haha 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 8:31 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel okay admitting how deeply committed I was to sports once upon a time just because I got my life slightly figured out since then haha 

I was such a trash can mess on this. I was a certified homer . I will never commit to that again. I should be homeless lol

• Like 1

2017 was a better overall team, but 2019 could have wreaked havoc if they had an AVERAGE offensive line. Possibly even get a Playoff berth.

Let's look at the losses:

2017:

Clemson - Playoff team, it was a tough one, but AU had opportunities to win. 2016 was embarrassing and it still came down to the last play.

LSU - Classic Gus meltdown (13 UGA, BCSNCG) where all they had to do was sit on it and get some first downs to put the game out of reach. Such an infuriating second half to watch.

UGA (SECCG) - Health Kerryon and they might squeak by UGA who knows. Hard to beat a team twice and that UGA team could have won the title. That really sucked. 

UCF - Embarrassing. I don't care that AU "didn't want to be there" that's an awful excuse. We're not that program. We just didn't show or take UCF seriously.

2019:

Florida - With an average OL and Bo not turning the ball over so much we have a good chance to win. Would've been epic.

LSU - Helluva game. Don't think LSU ever loses a game in that universe. What an incredible performance by our defense. They seriously stepped up. Pretty sure that was the fewest amount of points LSU scored that year IIRC and it was in Death Valley. God bless Kevin Steele.

UGA - Again, an average OL and AU wins by a TD or 10 points. Our defense was ready for that game. It's a shame they never got off the field

Minnesota - jfc

I'd roll with 2017 because they could run the ball and there is NOTHING like watching Auburn run the damn ball down people's throats

• Like 3

On 7/27/2022 at 2:26 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was arguing with some fraternity brothers that year about AU's defense being really damn good.  They disagreed until after the LSU game

• Like 1