Since we are clearing the deck...can we get a new radio announcer?

GAAubie

Since we are firing everyone, can we get a new radio announcer? Andy is a good guy, but leaves a lot to desire when calling football games. Can we get someone more accurate and dynamic? We need Jim Fyffe 2.0 for our new coaching staff! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Since we are firing everyone, can we get a new radio announcer? Andy is a good guy, but leaves a lot to desire when calling football games. Can we get someone more accurate and dynamic? We need Jim Fyffe 2.0 for our new coaching staff! 

Agreed!! His calling of the games are as comical as the games themselves

Edited by jluvah

14 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Is he still bad? I haven't listened since like the 4th game of his 1st year. Was hoping he would grow into it like Rod did. 

This is the biggest failing of the Auburn Network.  Its not Andy's fault, but the Network only promotes from within.  The issue with that is that any new "voice" will have next to no play-by-play experience for football.  And as with any sport for broadcasting, you need reps to get better.

I have called more football games than pretty much anyone at the Network and that's a really bad thing.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Or Gary Sanders & Gusty Yearout.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is the biggest failing of the Auburn Network.  Its not Andy's fault, but the Network only promotes from within.  The issue with that is that any new "voice" will have next to no play-by-play experience for football.  And as with any sport for broadcasting, you need reps to get better.

I have called more football games than pretty much anyone at the Network and that's a really bad thing.

I didn't realize that, that's not good at all. 

Needs to happen badly. Andy is as great of a guy as it gets, and he was thrust into an unimaginable situation. Immense respect for him. However, he is simply not good at his job. I was told he referred to Missouri as "Stanford" pretty much the whole game. That's extremely embarrassing, and happens often. If we're going for a fresh start, lets' make the switch now.

Andy can still call Basketball and Baseball. He's probably overworked anyways.

30 minutes ago, au302 said:

Needs to happen badly. Andy is as great of a guy as it gets, and he was thrust into an unimaginable situation. Immense respect for him. However, he is simply not good at his job. I was told he referred to Missouri as "Stanford" pretty much the whole game. That's extremely embarrassing, and happens often. If we're going for a fresh start, lets' make the switch now.

Andy can still call Basketball and Baseball. He's probably overworked anyways.

Eeesh.   I used to try and synch the radio broadcast with the tv but not any more.   Voice quality aside, his recurring mistakes on the names of players, teams and team records is embarrassing.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GAAubie said:

Unfortunately, this will not change. 

I love the guy and have a ton of respect for him but it’s not a good fit. 

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

I thought Larry Munson was the worst play by play guy in the history of the sport until Andy took over at Auburn. 

Woah woah woah now lol

I know it's Georgia, but Larry Munson was like the Vin Scully of CFB.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Woah woah woah now lol

I know it's Georgia, but Larry Munson was like the Vin Scully of CFB.

Larry Munson was loved in Georgia. I lived in Athens for 14 years, and I liked Larry personally, but he was a terrible play by play guy 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, au302 said:

I was told he referred to Missouri as "Stanford" pretty much the whole game. That's extremely embarrassing, and happens often.

Andy can still call Basketball

It is quite odd how he’s quick-minded calling bball, but struggles with fball pace. Perhaps there’s far fewer players to keep up with and he’s much closer to the action.

What a relief. Thought I was in the minority w Andy. He’s a great man but very boring. Haven’t listen to anything but pregame since Rod and even he had to grow on me. 

Andy is technically proficient.

No, he does not have the charisma or the passion of Jim Fyffe or Rob Bramblett.

But you are going to find few who who combine the two.

Andy calls a good game. Granted he is literally calling it off of a TV screen because the idiots at AU decided to push the radio announcers into the traditional press box.

49 minutes ago, jptiger said:

What a relief. Thought I was in the minority w Andy. He’s a great man but very boring. Haven’t listen to anything but pregame since Rod and even he had to grow on me. 

Felt the same way about Rob in the early years. And Rob got to call the games from a 50 yard line press box.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

I wonder how Cole Cubelic would do? Seems like more of an analyst. Has he called a smaller game for ESPN yet?

Cole got his start in broadcasting with...Andy Burcham.

He was Andy's color guy in the mid 2000s on the AU PPVs.