For all the Coach Prime fans …

RunInRed

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

giphy.gif

Our last 3 “safe” choices have been anything but. I just dont see Grimes moving the needle here.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Jimbo Fisher laughs at your silly number.

Exactly.  It's not how much you can afford to pay a single coach.  It's how many coaches total you can afford to pay at the same time.

I like Grimes, but again not sure if he has the “it” needed to be HC at Auburn. Auburn is a tough job maybe the toughest. He did a great job of recruiting when he was here (oline). Seems like a quality guy and coach.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CR said:

Our last 3 “safe” choices have been anything but. I just dont see Grimes moving the needle here.

I am not excited for grimes. Very cookie cutter Auburn stuff. I am not exactly buying all the hype being thrown around here about him too. Let his numbers speak for themselves. Reminds me of when that AD cousin came in here selling how great he is to the forum. Cringe.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I like Grimes, but again not sure if he has the “it” needed to be HC at Auburn. Auburn is a tough job maybe the toughest. He did a great job of recruiting when he was here (oline). Seems like a quality guy and coach.

This may be heresy, but, to me, Grimes is the 'safe' hire.  Not saying he wouldn't be a home run.  But on the face of it, he's...safe.

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

It is what it is. Prime has 3 discussed issues people need to sign up for and sell out on, or not. 

1) Lack of a big time +10years of progression track record. Anyone who’s hired before has been there: tangible know-what-you’re -getting experience vs sheer natural talent/ ridiculous potential/ higher ceiling. 
2) Motivation. It’s clear he has several priorities and he already has generational wealth.  And many options outside of coaching. Attracting and keeping him is and always will be more… complicated.

3) FSU. May always be a temptation. Now and 12 years from now.

To me, a opportunity like this and a ceiling so high is just impossible to pass on. But those 3 issues are baked in and require some smarts, soul searching, and a gut check. We’re about to find out a lot about AU and us in the coming weeks.

#2 is why I’m very skeptical that he’d come here. Coaching seems like more of a hobby for him. He seems very devoted to helping HBCUs. He obviously doesn’t need any more $.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Who Ain’t SWAC?

E. Robinson Jr. sure don't think Neon/Leon is today...LOL!

Edited by cctiger
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, AUwent said:

#2 is why I’m very skeptical that he’d come here. Coaching seems like more of a hobby for him. He seems very devoted to helping HBCUs. He obviously doesn’t need any more $.

Lol. Where do you guys get that from? The other coaches seem like it's not a hobby? How so?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. Where do you guys get that from? The other coaches seem like it's not a hobby? How so?

I’ve never understood that . He admitted he interviewed for a P5 last year and stated the mutual interest just wasn’t there which tells me whichever school it was didn’t want to take the risk

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

He’d come in a heart beat if he was confident he was given a chance to succeed.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

He’d come in a heart beat if he was confident he was given a chance to succeed.

So that's a no?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

I just don’t think grimes would be given 3-4 years 

I believe Grimes or anybody else will be given three to four years if they show some indication of progress. With Harsin, it's been downhill since he took over the job. Other than jawing about "culture" there is not one positive, quantifiable area in which Harsin has shown improvement. Recruiting? Won/loss record? Public relations? High school relations? Player retention? All merit either D's or F's.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

What? But I thought Auburn sold itself... To think Deion would have a problem to get recruits to play for him is pretty laughable.  

We have no idea whether Sanders could recruit to AU or not. Many are assuming that he'd hit it out of the park with every swing. Maybe, maybe not. He has a unique thing to sell at Jackson State, and by and large he's not competing with the Big Dogs for 40+ recruits every cycle. He'll be in a whole new ballgame at AU.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We have no idea whether Sanders could recruit to AU or not. Many are assuming that he'd hit it out of the park with every swing. Maybe, maybe not. He has a unique thing to sell at Jackson State, and by and large he's not competing with the Big Dogs for 40+ recruits every cycle. He'll be in a whole new ballgame at AU.

Don't think I've seen your preferred choice, who would u like?

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Don't think I've seen your preferred choice, who would u like?

I don't have a strong preferred choice. Dell McGee or Jeff Grimes would be reasonable choices as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping our new AD, whoever that may be, can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

If Norvell stumbles to a losing record….and they can him…How can they not call Deion? Maybe Norvell gets the shaft like the U did Diaz and bring their favorite son home.

A lot of people wanted Brent Venables when AU hired Harsin. One more day like yesterday and Venables may become available? :)

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A lot of people wanted Brent Venables when AU hired Harsin. One more day like yesterday and Venables may become available? :)

Venables turned us down or at least that's what I read on here. So, I'm sure it's true

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Because coaching football is their most lucrative, and usually only viable career option. Deion has tons of other options for what he could be doing with his life, and has explored those in the past - reality TV, music, NFL Network host, prime academy, etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Because coaching football is their most lucrative, and usually only viable career option. Deion has tons of other options for what he could be doing with his life, and has explored those in the past - reality TV, music, NFL Network host, prime academy, etc.

You guys don't know the status of every coach, so you can't pretend to know how everyone view their job. It's silly to try to quantify someone's passion for what they were doing. 

I have no problem with people wanting whoever they want, but it's dumb to list things that nobody could know as facts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You guys don't know the status of every coach, so you can't pretend to know how everyone view their job. It's silly to try to quantify someone's passion for what they were doing. 

I have no problem with people wanting whoever they want, but it's dumb to list things that nobody could know as facts.

Well it’s actually a pretty easy fact to look up. Guys like Saban, Kiffin, Smart, etc. have been in coaching literally their entire careers, most starting as position coaches or GAs right after they got out of college.

So yeah, it’s actually a verifiable fact coaching is the only job most D1 HCs have ever had. That isn’t a hobby that’s a livelihood. 

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 2