I believe Dell McGee is the answer

Auburn93

4 hours ago, metafour said:

I disagree, this would be a bad hire. Why? Because Dell McGee has basically no exposure other than UGA where he barely "coaches" (he's the RB coach), and he recruits under an absolutely elite recruiter who was dominating the state of Georgia even while he was at Bama (Kirby Smart). I don't doubt that McGee can recruit, but his job there is very easy. Apart from that, what schematic technical coaching ability does he possess? Furthermore, what are his coaching contact/connections? Apart from being at UGA since 2016, he has coached nowhere else of significance.

At least with Deion Sanders you can actually see him recruiting at some place that is actually difficult to pull recruits to, and you have some sense of program-building proof of concept even if it's at a lower tier. Deion Sanders also has immense NFL and other coaching connections - that's how he has former NFL HC Mike Zimmer on his staff as an analyst.

Dell McGee is WAY too green and unproven in so many aspects.

Kirby doesn’t waste a coaching position on staff. But agree Mcgee would be huge risk.

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Hokanson knows nothing. He’s just putting things out there to get subscriptions. It’s pretty well known Harsin will be let go soon, possibly this weekend. Keeping him until the end of the season would be a death sentence to our program. Also, Grimes is not the leading candidate. There is no leading candidate at this time. There are boosters who have favorites but no, there is nothing concrete at this time until we get our AD in place..

Birds post earlier said the same thing. Actually Bird alluded to it B4 Hoke tweeted it. So kudos to Mr Bird

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fredst said:

Grimes with Dell as his OC would be a combo I could get on board with

I feel the same way. I feel better about hiring a coordinator as a head coach. But a position coach? Need someone more proven.

• Like 1

Unless I am mistaken, he has never even been an OC. He has been an assistant head coach for a time, former AU player and running back coach. So, if we go ahead and put the title of assistant head coach on Cadillac he can finish the year and become the head coach. Kidding. However, I do not think AU needs a guy that has never even ran an offensive or defensive unit. I am good with him at OC.

9 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

Unless I am mistaken, he has never even been an OC. He has been an assistant head coach for a time, former AU player and running back coach. So, if we go ahead and put the title of assistant head coach on Cadillac he can finish the year and become the head coach. Kidding. However, I do not think AU needs a guy that has never even ran an offensive or defensive unit. I am good with him at OC.

One could that Dell's creds are more suited to being a head coach in the SEC than are Sanders'. Yet, we see the nearly hysterical support for hiring Neon Deion.

Remember, it would be hard to find a young coach with better background and experience than Harsin. We see how much that mattered.

Name one other top power five program that would currently hire Dell McGee as a head coach. There is your answer. If he didn’t play for Auburn he wouldn’t be mentioned. Aranda, Grimes, Wittingham, Stoops, Kiffin, Leipold, Fickell. All on the table if the PTB will get going in one direction and hire a man to run the program. Instead we want to hire Dell McGee because he is an “Auburn Man” and knows the SEC. This is why we can’t be consistent SMH. The only reason I’d go for Deion Sanders is because he is such a star that he absolutely would win recruiting battles and at the very least has proven on some level he can win. If I’m a recruit and Saban, Kirby, and McGee come to me I’m saying “who?” On that third one.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, StuckMic91 said:

Name one other top power five program that would currently hire Dell McGee as a head coach. There is your answer. If he didn’t play for Auburn he wouldn’t be mentioned. Aranda, Grimes, Wittingham, Stoops, Kiffin, Leipold, Fickell. All on the table if the PTB will get going in one direction and hire a man to run the program. Instead we want to hire Dell McGee because he is an “Auburn Man” and knows the SEC. This is why we can’t be consistent SMH. The only reason I’d go for Deion Sanders is because he is such a star that he absolutely would win recruiting battles and at the very least has proven on some level he can win. If I’m a recruit and Saban, Kirby, and McGee come to me I’m saying “who?” On that third one.

I'm glad you include Grimes in that list, because the negative response elsewhere baffled me (people who don't know what he's done since 2012?) + that's kind of our only realistic option out of them. Not including Deion of course.

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

Grimes and Dell would not be considered whatsoever if they didn’t have any ties to Auburn. Grimes is a nice head coaching hire for Colorado or Arizona State. Not Auburn. He’s a boring hire who hasn’t coached in the south in almost a decade. We got to stop tying one hand behind our back and short changing ourselves with who we set our sights on. Grimes and Dell doesn’t move the needle at all for the program. Prime and Lane does.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 2

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Grimes and Dell would not be considered whatsoever if they didn’t have any ties to Auburn. Grimes is a nice head coaching hire for Colorado or Arizona State. Not Auburn. He’s a boring hire who hasn’t coached in the south in almost a decade. We got to stop tying one hand behind our back and short changing ourselves with who we set our sights on. Grimes and Dell doesn’t move the needle at all for the program. Prime and Lane does.

Grudgingly I can come around to your view on Dell. But c'mon man, Grimes would be a damn good hire.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Grudgingly I can come around to your view on Dell. But c'mon man, Grimes would be a damn good hire.

Lol. No he wouldn’t. I wouldn’t want him as a OC hire let alone head coach. No major school with similar prestige to AU would have him anywhere near the top of their board. He wouldn’t even be on it. This would go right back to a boring “safe” (which btw isn’t safe at all because Safe means decent floor but low ceiling and I def don’t think grimes has a high floor.) vanilla hire that has AU ties. If he didn’t have AU ties he wouldn’t be considered. What has he done that even remotely makes you think he would be a good hire? 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, woodford said:

Why those two? I've warmed up to Deion but it's still all hype at this point. I like Lane a lot. I think he's a funny dude and I appreciate his trolling online. Offensive genius. Maybe has found a new cheat code with the portal? But why would he come to Auburn? He has a great chance to win 10+ games again this year and that would be back-to-back for Ole Miss He might have things humming over there. If he came to Auburn, he'd be using a lot of duct tape to start out with.

Luke Fickell is the most accomplished coach out there that we could actually have a chance in hell of snatching up.

I like Fickell but I don't see him leaving Cincinnati.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I'm glad you include Grimes in that list, because the negative response elsewhere baffled me (people who don't know what he's done since 2012?) + that's kind of our only realistic option out of them. Not including Deion of course.

Grimes to me has proven himself outside of Auburn on multiple occasions and is up for a HC job somewhere. He is the only “Auburn Man” I feel would make a great hire. Other programs are giving him a look as well. 

Saying Grimes and Deion are the only two realistic options is why we are in the mess we are in though. Miami stole Cristobal, USC stole Riley, LSU stole Kelly. If we get our house in order we can hire almost anyone we want not named Saban, Kirby, or Dabo. With that being said, I agree with the sentiment if the status quo continues. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol. No he wouldn’t. I wouldn’t want him as a OC hire let alone head coach. No major school with similar prestige to AU would have him anywhere near the top of their board. He wouldn’t even be on it. This would go right back to a boring “safe” (which btw isn’t safe at all because Safe means decent floor but low ceiling and I def don’t think grimes has a high floor.) vanilla hire that has AU ties. If he didn’t have AU ties he wouldn’t be considered. What has he done that even remotely makes you think he would be a good hire? 

BYU 2017 year before Grimes - 124th offensive production

BYU 2018 - 79th

BYU 2019 - 68th

BYU 2020 - 3rd

Baylor 2020 year before Grimes - 101st offensive production

Baylor 2021 - 40th

Baylor 2022 so far - 27th

the guys has improved offensive lines and offenses everywhere he has been. I get not wanting him as a HC but to say you wouldn’t take him as an OC? Especially when we are currently 107th in offensive production. It just seems short sighted to me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, StuckMic91 said:

BYU 2017 year before Grimes - 124th offensive production

BYU 2018 - 79th

BYU 2019 - 68th

BYU 2020 - 3rd

Baylor 2020 year before Grimes - 101st offensive production

Baylor 2021 - 40th

Baylor 2022 so far - 27th

the guys has improved offensive lines and offenses everywhere he has been. I get not wanting him as a HC but to say you wouldn’t take him as an OC? Especially when we are currently 107th in offensive production. It just seems short sighted to me.

If your last impression of him was our OL play in 2012, I can understand. But with the benefit of hindsight, I wish Gus had kept him and maybe Yox (and no one else).

1 hour ago, StuckMic91 said:

Grimes to me has proven himself outside of Auburn on multiple occasions and is up for a HC job somewhere. He is the only “Auburn Man” I feel would make a great hire. Other programs are giving him a look as well. 

Saying Grimes and Deion are the only two realistic options is why we are in the mess we are in though. Miami stole Cristobal, USC stole Riley, LSU stole Kelly. If we get our house in order we can hire almost anyone we want not named Saban, Kirby, or Dabo. With that being said, I agree with the sentiment if the status quo continues. 

What makes you think this? We haven't ever hired a top name coach and it won't happen this time. That is why we are in this mess, because the PTB and fanbase always thinks a better coach is around the corner.

Surprise me, please, and hire a proven coach! Even then, half of the dumbest fanbase in sports will be pissed and ready to fire whomever is hired.

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

What makes you think this? We Even then, half of the dumbest fanbase in sports will be pissed and ready to fire whomever is hired.

Auburn really isnt a dumb fanbase but it is a fanbase with the least reasonable and most unrealisticly achievable expecations in sports.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

What makes you think this? We haven't ever hired a top name coach and it won't happen this time. That is why we are in this mess, because the PTB and fanbase always thinks a better coach is around the corner.

Surprise me, please, and hire a proven coach! Even then, half of the dumbest fanbase in sports will be pissed and ready to fire whomever is hired.

How many coaches currently in the SEC fit that profile in your mind when they were hired at their current position?

Edited by AUwent

58 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If your last impression of him was our OL play in 2012, I can understand. But with the benefit of hindsight, I wish Gus had kept him and maybe Yox (and no one else).

Gus absolutely should have kept him. That same O-line that he recruited is what allowed us to blow open Grand Canyon sized holes in opposing D-lines in 2013. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

"We need a top tier proven coach!" ... Looks at brian kelley, looks at jimbo... 

Wheels begin to turn in ones mind.  Maybe we don't?

There is a vast canyon of coaches between “proven coach” and Dell McGee. Maybe before we look at a RB coach we should look at successful OCs and DCs. I’m not saying you’re wrong that “proven” head coaches don’t guarantee success. Just a huge pool of applicants between HC and position coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GAAubie said:

The qualifier was IF. We are a top 10 grossing CFB program. The only thing that holds the program back is not acting like the top 10 program we could be. The “lil ol Auburn”schtick is old.

The fan base (I think) as a whole just wants a good solid coach that can get us to consistent 10 win seasons. A championship is THE FARTHEST thing from my mind when I’m judging a coach on success. I think that is the case with a vast majority of the fan base as well. I just want to see good solid consistent football.

The PTB I can agree with however, I think it’s more they want to win with “their guy” and that tends to be an Auburn retread who shouldn’t be HC at a top 10 earning program. That is going to be the hardest part to overcome.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, StuckMic91 said:

There is a vast canyon of coaches between “proven coach” and Dell McGee. Maybe before we look at a RB coach we should look at successful OCs and DCs. I’m not saying you’re wrong that “proven” head coaches don’t guarantee success. Just a huge pool of applicants between HC and position coach.

Oh no doubt, please dont think i really believe dell mcgee is going to take us to any kind of promised land

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:37 AM, Mikey said:

I'd prefer Jeff Grimes or Dell McGee for the Auburn job. Just looking around college football, experience as a head coach is no guarantee of success. We don't have to look very far to see that. :( I'm thinking "fit" is more important that prior head coaching experience. There's a good chance McGee or Grimes would be a good fit at AU.

I agree with this. Get a guy that knows the job, knows the state and that can recruit. He can hire his staff and let his staff handle the on field coaching. Grimes or Dell can be a CEO and actually let his coaches coach. 

Dabo was never a coordinator but he was a great recruiter. Sam Pittman was never more than an O-Line coach but he could recruit. (I know Pittman has 3 straight losses but he turned them around quick)

I'm all for this. We've never hired a big name coach and it would be even harder to get a big name to come here now. Those are 2 reasons I'm on board with your post. WDE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StuckMic91 said:

The qualifier was IF. We are a top 10 grossing CFB program. The only thing that holds the program back is not acting like the top 10 program we could be. The “lil ol Auburn”schtick is old.

The fan base (I think) as a whole just wants a good solid coach that can get us to consistent 10 win seasons. A championship is THE FARTHEST thing from my mind when I’m judging a coach on success. I think that is the case with a vast majority of the fan base as well. I just want to see good solid consistent football.

The PTB I can agree with however, I think it’s more they want to win with “their guy” and that tends to be an Auburn retread who shouldn’t be HC at a top 10 earning program. That is going to be the hardest part to overcome.

Do you even understand that playing the toughest schedule in the country every year just MIGHT be keeping us from being a consistent top 10 program? You had better not be among those who want to play Florida every year too when the league expands.

Naturally, we put UCLA on the schedule in 27-28 and suddenly they become a powerhouse. In addition to Baylor and I feel like Miami is going to be a lot better once they get that recruiting class in.

Edited by AUwent