For those that doubt Prime Time

Potatooooooes!!

The whole Coach prime thing is dumb.  Would he generate excitement and bring in attention/recruits?  Absolutely.  Has he done anything in coaching that shows he’s prepared to run a $300 million a year program?  Not even close.  

If we want a real program, hire a proven Coach.  If we want to hope to strike it rich w/ a bargain basement gamble, keep hiring athletic directors from podunk schools and looking at coaches that are still 5 years away from even being considered by a rival.  

• Like 4
  • Dislike 19

12 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

The whole Coach prime thing is dumb.  Would he generate excitement and bring in attention/recruits?  Absolutely.  Has he done anything in coaching that shows he’s prepared to run a $300 million a year program?  Not even close.  

If we want a real program, hire a proven Coach.  If we want to hope to strike it rich w/ a bargain basement gamble, keep hiring athletic directors from podunk schools and looking at coaches that are still 5 years away from even being considered by a rival.  

Do you not like what you have seen Deion do at JSU, or is that not proven enough for you? Besides, do you know how many “proven” coaches turn out to be failures? Harsin proved himself pretty well at Boise, and look how that turned out. Dan Mullen proved himself pretty well at State, and now he’s an analyst on tv. I could go on and on. Hiring coaches is not science; it’s ALWAYS a gamble. What’s dumb is passing on a coach just because he doesn’t fit one vague metric of yours. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Taker said:

I mean considering our rivals and anyone else in CFB coaching experiencing success in today's climate just look at the coaches that those programs went out and got... PROVEN WINNERS (sarcasm) 

GA- Smart no HC experience

CLEM- Sweeny no HC experience 

OSU- Day no HC Experience 

OU/USC- Riley no HC experience 

Even UTK- Heuple only exp was a G5 school for 2 seasons 

Moral of the story, Make a hire that will put your institution in the best position to succeed. Prime is a proven WINNER from every aspect of his life (College, Pros, coaching, recruiting, planning, Etc) 

I think at this time if we had the opportunity to get a sniff at hiring prime we would be foolish not to pursue it over the other candidates that are out there

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Well done.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, pensacolatiger said:

.  Has he done anything in coaching that shows he’s prepared to run a $300 million a year program?  Not even close.  

Good think we are barely a 100mm a year program 

• Haha 1

1. What do you consider to be classified as a proven HC

2. what proven HC would be available 

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Good think we are barely a 100mm a year program 

Just this year, we were in the 150 ish range just a couple of years ago.  But you’re right, don’t know where I remembered 300m from (not us)

1 hour ago, Taker said:

Moral of the story, Make a hire that will put your institution in the best position to succeed. Prime is a proven WINNER from every aspect of his life (College, Pros, coaching, recruiting, planning, Etc) 

Dear lord that’s a great post. I’ll throw in one more:  Pat Dye: HC at Wyoming and east Carolina..

I’m actually shocked there’s even hesitation on Prime.  There are risks, but holy smokes, I’ve never seen an opportunity like this.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Taker said:

I mean considering our rivals and anyone else in CFB coaching experiencing success in today's climate just look at the coaches that those programs went out and got... PROVEN WINNERS (sarcasm) 

GA- Smart no HC experience

CLEM- Sweeny no HC experience 

OSU- Day no HC Experience 

OU/USC- Riley no HC experience 

Even UTK- Heuple only exp was a G5 school for 2 seasons 

I think at this time if we had the opportunity to get a sniff at hiring prime we would be foolish not to pursue it over the other candidates that are out there

Those coaches all had the opportunity to be a coordinator at that school and see how the program operated for years before they went HC.  Almost a head coach in training situation. All I’m saying is just because a coach would get attention, doesn’t mean they’ll thrive in that role

Just now, pensacolatiger said:

Those coaches all had the opportunity to be a coordinator at that school and see how the program operated for years before they went HC.  Almost a head coach in training situation. All I’m saying is just because a coach would get attention, doesn’t mean they’ll thrive in that role

Oops - not at that school, but major programs 

I'm not invalidating that hiring a coach with experience usually leads to more success, but Miami hired arguably the best coach they could in two different coaching searches (Richt, Cristobal) and the first ended up being woefully disappointing after the first season. The second hire has been straight up embarrassing, although maybe that eventually ends up paying off. 

We should not act like HC experience has a 1:1 correlation with success

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All I know is that it is not the time to play it safe. Play it safe and we'll keep standing by while our rivals win, but hey at least we'll go 8-4 again. No, now is the time to risk it and take drastic action to try and make a move, even if it comes with more risk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This is where I am with all the names being thrown around 

Grimes, Deion, Stoops, Freeze, Kiffin, Deering, Baby Briles and JC 

Grimes and Briles are good coordinators but I am not sold on giving them the keys to AU (possible harsin/Gustavo 2.0)

Stoops- He ain't leaving UK he is invested and building a solid program he wouldn't leave that for a "chance" to lead AU

Kiffen- See above just insert Ole Miss for UK

Doering- Again See above ETC

Freeze- He would come but I do not believe that He would be a sustained success here would flash like Gustavo did and sink to mediocrity for the most part

I think of all the names on this list the most compelling argument can be made for these 2

JC- Coastal he has had continued success with the program and built a solid competitive product that is continued year to year however much like Harsin that was at a G5 school with little competition He is/was successful the few times that they did play up in competition but it is a far cry from a grueling SEC competition. He would be worth a flyer on for the simple fact that he has earned his shot

Sanders- Name recognition,  instant recruiting prowess, proven can get top level talent to play at a program with little to no exposure so that should translate to a P5 SEC West program, relentless competitor always making preparations for the what ifs and possible maybe, he is lacking in the true coaching experience but at this point in time I think that he is itching to prove (competitor) that he can hang with the big boys and AU is not that far removed from national prowess and prestige so it would be interesting to him I think and beneficial for us due to the exposure and credibility it would bring to the program. 

Disclaimer: this is the opinion of a middle aged white male with little to no coaching experience, or experience at building a multi- million dollar franchise so feel free to discard it or rebuff it in any way you want because much like the opinion of the writer yours in fact carries no weight or Merritt either. 

Happy Hunting and War Eagle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think at the very least, Sanders should get an interview.  To be honest, I am for bringing in Sanders.  We are not at rock bottom, but we are very low hanging fruit right now.  We need good talent, and we need positive exposure for the university in the worst way.  We need someone who will surround himself with talented coordinators and let them run their side of the ball.  Someone who will aggressively work the transfer portal and maximize NIL.  Sign him to a 3-year contract with university friendly buyout.  If he succeeds, you extend his contract.  If he doesn't or wants to move on......either way, you are not handcuffed to a large buyout and your talent pool has been dramatically improved.  We would be taking a risk on hiring him, he might reciprocate the gesture by agreeing to the contract details above or something similar.  He needs a chance, and we need to step outside the box. This needs to be it.  I think all those in favor of Deion, should write a letter to administration/Roberts and at least push for Deion getting an interview.  Then it's up to him to sell himself and his vision.  Don't discard him because there is a risk involved.  Every coaching candidate is a risk, as has been mentioned by many.

• Like 4

Don’t get it twisted. The reason AU is underperforming is recruiting. Deon immediately gets AU back to top10 top 5 recruiting. Not to mention raiding the portal. He gets players excited. He gets fans excited. Now a days it’s all about your players,  not your coaches. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

The whole article is worth a read, but this is what stands out for us Auburn fans:

“So the issue remains about whether Sanders wants to be the possible king of HBCU football or set his sights higher. And for anyone who has doubts about whether there is substance behind the Prime, consider what Arkansas athletic director Hunter Yurachek told Dennis Dodd of cbssports.com after giving Sanders two interviews before hiring Sam Pittman.

“What impressed me about Deion the most and made me go back the second time was he was prepared,” Yurachek told Dodd. “There was an attention to detail. He knew things about our team, knew things about potential recruits and guys we were recruiting at the time. He had a game plan for moving forward.”

For those that aren’t sure about this guy, I’m telling you, he’s the one we need. https://www.yahoo.com/news/deion-sanders-jsu-cruising-another-020940294.html

Why didn't Arkansas hire him then?

All I’m saying is just because a coach would get attention, doesn’t mean they’ll thrive in that role

Right. He coaches at a school barley above a Div.2. Not even a G5. He signs 1, I mean 1 5star recruit that he beat Fla.St. out for, talked him into signing with a HBCU school and folks think that he is the answer to all recruiting woes. Yep, he's gonna go head to head with Napolean and bowl cut and they are going to be gift wrapped automatically...LOL! Again, if he is so great, and intreviewed so very very well, then WHY DIDN"T ARKANSAS HIRE HIM? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cctiger said:

Why didn't Arkansas hire him then?

Right. He coaches at a school barley above a Div.2. Not even a G5. He signs 1, I mean 1 5star recruit that he beat Fla.St. out for, talked him into signing with a HBCU school and folks think that he is the answer to all recruiting woes. Yep, he's gonna go head to head with Napolean and bowl cut and they are going to be gift wrapped automatically...LOL! Again, if he is so great, and intreviewed so very very well, then WHY DIDN"T ARKANSAS HIRE HIM? 

They were stupid? 
I hope we’re not...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

They were stupid? 

Just stupid huh. You mean Ozark country stupid? Yeah, got to be a whole lot better answer than that Bro.

4 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

The whole article is worth a read, but this is what stands out for us Auburn fans:

“So the issue remains about whether Sanders wants to be the possible king of HBCU football or set his sights higher. And for anyone who has doubts about whether there is substance behind the Prime, consider what Arkansas athletic director Hunter Yurachek told Dennis Dodd of cbssports.com after giving Sanders two interviews before hiring Sam Pittman.

“What impressed me about Deion the most and made me go back the second time was he was prepared,” Yurachek told Dodd. “There was an attention to detail. He knew things about our team, knew things about potential recruits and guys we were recruiting at the time. He had a game plan for moving forward.”

For those that aren’t sure about this guy, I’m telling you, he’s the one we need. https://www.yahoo.com/news/deion-sanders-jsu-cruising-another-020940294.html

And when it came down to it he went with the SEC coach instead of the high school coach.  Wonder why.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, cctiger said:

WHY DIDN"T ARKANSAS HIRE HIM? 

It was 2 years ago.  As for “napoleon and bowl cut” - yes,  that’s the point. I believe Deion at AU is their  worst friggin nightmare.

• Like 2

If you just watched the 60 mins segment on Deion and you still dont have him as #1 candidate. I can’t help you

For those that missed it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/deion-sanders-jackson-state-university-hbcu-60-minutes-2022-10-16/

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 3