Good info

bigbird

19 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

As I’ve said before,  it’s just a huge red flag to me that he’s never been a head coach at any capacity for as long as he’s been coaching and there has to be a reason. I’m not totally against him, but it just doesn’t really excite the average fan base either…

The thing is this. If the NEW AD comes in, his first hire is not going to logically be a very risky hire (this is my thinking). If it is the Utah state guy logically it makes sense it is grimes:

1. He tried to hire him before

2. Grimes seems to be well liked by everyone 

3. Grimes has a rapport with Auburn from his past

4. this seems to be his dream job.

all of that makes this a perfect hire from that sense.

With that being said, I agree with you. I do not for once think this will overwhelmingly go well with majority of the fanbase. Grimes will have to win us over. That will be one of his uphill battles. He can start with improved recruiting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

The thing is this. If the NEW AD comes in, his first hire is not going to logically be a very risky hire (this is my thinking). If it is the Utah state guy logically it makes sense it is grimes:

With that being said, I agree with you. I do not for once think this will overwhelmingly go well with majority of the fanbase. Grimes will have to win us over. That will be one of his uphill battles. He can start with improved recruiting. 

This👍

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't think RA is a D1 QB. But that's just where I'm at now, certainly hopes he proves me wrong

Personally I think he is. The ability is there but that throwing motion has to change, he’s throwing the football like it’s a baseball and that ain’t gone work. If he can smooth out those mechanics a bit I think he can be at least decent 

Now a QB who I think isn’t D1 caliber is TJ. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

As I’ve said before,  it’s just a huge red flag to me that he’s never been a head coach at any capacity for as long as he’s been coaching and there has to be a reason. I’m not totally against him, but it just doesn’t really excite the average fan base either…

Kirby Smart was a coordinator for a long time before he became a HC and that worked out okay for Georgia; however, so was Brent Venables and he seems to be a total flop so far.  The point is you never know, so pick the best guy available and see what happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

IF..... We can get either Grimes or Prime...It will be a win and we’re sitting in a great position 

*Still pulling for Prime*

Me too. :nanner:

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

I know some keep asking, "why Grimes"?

Here's a piece put out by the Broyles award explaining his nomination for the award as well as some previous accomplishments and history 

https://broylesaward.com/posts/pv_candidate/jeff-grimes/

Not many realize that Andy Reid, HC of the Kansas City Chiefs, was his offensive line coach in college.  I added a few links below.  One is the incredible story of adopting their daughter.

https://www.deseret.com/2017/12/14/20624289/byu-s-jeff-grimes-a-sweet-adoption-story-an-andy-reid-connection-his-career-path-and-other-things

https://www.al.com/sports/2011/01/offensive_line_coach_jeff_grim.html

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, rophle said:

Kirby Smart was a coordinator for a long time before he became a HC and that worked out okay for Georgia; however, so was Brent Venables and he seems to be a total flop so far.  The point is you never know, so pick the best guy available and see what happens. 

And the other side of the coin: we absolutely need to ensure the new HC is going to guarantee he WILL bring the Smarts and Venableses as coordinators, position coaches, and recruiters. Also, the AD and Pres must ensure the payroll budget supports this. An okay coach who can assemble stellar talent around him can look like a genius (evidence: Rumpelstiltskin). Harsin turned out NOT to be one of these types of HCs. Some might say, "If they could get a head coach job, they wouldn't come as a coordinator." They will for the right price. Some might say, "But they'll just get poached for a HC position." Instead of AU paying severance buyouts, LET somebody hire one of our assistants. Look at what they put in the stable while they were here. Just saying, HC doesn't have to be a football savant with a title yet, as long as he and the new AD can assemble a 5* coaching team - at least for a few years. With success you eventually get the bama factor where you attract talent without having to go find it. We can't afford another HC who staffs and recruits with a "help wanted" sign.

Edited by AUx
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Came here hoping to get meaningful discussion on grimes , yet y’all let Mikey 2.0 rile y’all up again. He always says stuff and never responds back. Rinse and repeat.

Thought you were talking about the yella bird...until I saw this

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Cleaned up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I don't really care if the hire "wins the fanbase" so long as the money guys behind NIL approve and support.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Or taking a high school WR and making him an All American LB.

Dansby was exactly who I was thinking of when I posted that, but there were a lot of them over the years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, woodford said:

This is interesting

This is very cool. Thanks for posting

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Also offensive linemen are supposedly the smartest dudes too. I imagine grimes would prioritize both lines as well. I think Grimes could do wonders with RA. 

There is a reason Andy Reid and Billy B, are great coaches.  Their foundation started with playing Oline.  Not the only reason but one of them.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't think RA is a D1 QB. But that's just where I'm at now, certainly hopes he proves me wrong

He definitely hasn't played well this season BUT I saw improvement against Ole Miss, several passes he made after staying in the pocket that made me think... dang, that was a good pass down the field.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

There is a reason Andy Reid and Billy B, are great coaches.  Their foundation started with playing Oline.

Yep

3 hours ago, DAG said:

As I said, I would still follow Auburn football but I guess nothing really jumps out at me when I read about him. It just seems like the same Auburn hire we’ve had for the past 30+ plus years. I have read his background and I have watched his offenses and I come away with “meh, probably gets us to 8 wins a year”. I don’t know, I guess I’m just tired of the retreads and coaches that have had similar backgrounds as him. It’s just my opinion, nothing against others. It’s really personal preference. I feel like I’ve watched this movie before: getting someone with Auburn ties who has had no head coaching experience and then 4 years later we’re wondering what went wrong. I don’t know how he will recruit against the top programs. I mean, when you have Smart, Swinney and Saban in the room then Grimes, I reallly don’t like our chances for that one bit. I also feel like people are missing what is happening to college football and with our depleted roster for next year, we need someone with name recognition who could immediately go to the portal and get top rated guys. I feel like a lot of kids will be a wait and see with Grimes before committing to us. He’s unknown unless you really really follow college football. Again, just my opinion, I would really just have no expectations with him. But again, with most of the candidates I wouldn’t have any expectations as well, which tells you how shallow the coaching talent is for this year…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rophle said:

This is where I disagree with so many people who use this comparison. Kirby was literally Saban’s right hand man and was Saban’s protégé. He wasn’t going anywhere unless it was at Auburn or Georgia or another big time program. Also, as you can see, UAT’s defense has never been the same since Smart has left. Smart was also known as Saban’s top recruiter. So yes, technically he had no head coaching experience, it was pretty obvious that Smart was going to excel and that he was going to be successful, at least to me. As for Venables, I was never really high on him to begin with but to be fair, the first year I usually give most coaches a pass. Now, if they still play like they are this year, then it’s time to say he was a bust…

Edited by Auburnguy101

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't really care if the hire "wins the fanbase" so long as the money guys behind NIL approve and support.

I mean, I understand that. I just want Auburn to be a consistent championship contender instead of having 1 great season sandwiched between 6 mediocre seasons…

Edited by Auburnguy101
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

As I said, I would still follow Auburn football but I guess nothing really jumps out at me when I read about him. It just seems like the same Auburn hire we’ve had for the past 30+ plus years. I have read his background and I have watched his offenses and I come away with “meh, probably gets us to 8 wins a year”. I don’t know, I guess I’m just tired of the retreads and coaches that have had similar backgrounds as him. It’s just my opinion, nothing against others. It’s really personal preference. I feel like I’ve watched this movie before: getting someone with Auburn ties who has had no head coaching experience and then 4 years later we’re wondering what went wrong. I don’t know how he will recruit against the top programs. I mean, when you have Smart, Swinney and Saban in the room then Grimes, I reallly don’t like our chances for that one bit. I also feel like people are missing what is happening to college football and with our depleted roster for next year, we need someone with name recognition who could immediately go to the portal and get top rated guys. I feel like a lot of kids will be a wait and see with Grimes before committing to us. He’s unknown unless you really really follow college football. Again, just my opinion, I would really just have no expectations with him. But again, with most of the candidates I wouldn’t have any expectations as well, which tells you how shallow the coaching talent is for this year…

Ultimately , you can have a very good relatable personality , which it seems like grimes does but it is going to come down to his support. If he really is the premier candidate then he needs resources for quality freaking staff and NIL by in. That is going to be the final conclusion. 

But as you have also alluded to, he would be a wildcard in the SEC. We really don’t know at all because we have no head coach experience to pull from. We will have to hope for the best. 

2 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I mean, I understand that. I just want Auburn to be a consistent championship contender instead of having 1 great season sandwiched between 6 mediocre seasons…

While I believe we can do somewhat better than what we did under Gus, we're not going to be a consistent 11+ win team. With the expanded playoff coming, that's perfectly ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

While I believe we can do somewhat better than what we did under Gus, we're not going to be a consistent 11+ win team. With the expanded playoff coming, that's perfectly ok.

I honestly believe Auburn with the right coach could be a consistent 9-10 win team. The problem is for the past 30+ years we have made some atrocious and lazy hires and the fans wonder why we are so inconsistent. And that’s another thing I guess why I’m vouching for someone different. If we fired Gus because he couldn’t win more than 8 games a year, than we need to find that coach who has the higher ceiling and I don’t really see many attainable candidates we can get besides a couple…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ultimately , you can have a very good relatable personality , which it seems like grimes does but it is going to come down to his support. If he really is the premier candidate then he needs resources for quality freaking staff and NIL by in. That is going to be the final conclusion. 

But as you have also alluded to, he would be a wildcard in the SEC. We really don’t know at all because we have no head coach experience to pull from. We will have to hope for the best. 

Even then though, I just see nothing from him that tells me with the right resources and staff we could compete with the top programs. I see him as another 8 win coach we’ve grown accustomed to at Auburn. However, with Deion, with the right staff and resources, I just have this feeling he will be special. Who knows, could be wrong. However, I did think Smart was going to be amazing and wanted him over Gus and look what happened. Just a gut instinct I guess…

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

You're coming around to the guy because at least in some pics he looks like Negan. ;)

(I most know him as John Winchester, of course, as well as Comedian.)

Edited by AUwent

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You're coming around to the guy because at least in some pics he looks like Negan. ;)

(I most know him as John Winchester, of course, as well as Comedian.)

Realist like Negan haha