2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

why would  rhule lose millions from his buy out if he takes a job this quick? does anyone know? i saw that but i rarely keep up with the pro's.

He won’t. He will still get what is owed to him, sans whatever Auburn pays him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

But if we can somehow get anyone else on the list Zeek posted, I'll be psyched!

Kiffen - Hard but defined. Money and more money, and would he stay?

Prime -  Hard. Complicated, sec opportunity vs labor of love .  Would need to be friggin compelling.

Grimes  - easy. Standard stuff

Freeze - easy. Money and nausea

• Like 1

Well, my sources have held up.  I know who the primary target has been/is, but Sanders would be an interesting candidate. (He’s not the primary target…)  I will admit I was skeptical, but after reading the pro-Sanders folks from the board, you guys made a good case.  Good job, guys.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, aubcali said:

Well, my sources have held up.  I know who the primary target has been/is, but Sanders would be an interesting candidate. (He’s not the primary target…)  I will admit I was skeptical, but after reading the pro-Sanders folks from the board, you guys made a good case.  Good job, guys.  

Primary target?

Sanders, Kiffin, Rhule, and Grimes.   
I think any of those 4 would make a great hire.   There’s several others that I think could/would be a good hire.   
I think Freeze is a good coach, but would be too polarizing.  We really need someone who will be received well by the majority of AU folks from the beginning.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WarTim said:

Primary target?

Several sources have stated that Kiffin is our new ADs top target.  
When Hartline was the supposed next AD, they had Grimes attached to him.  

I think Dion Sanders would be a instant success here, I just think his passion for the HBCU’s and his desire to make them relevant is more of a factor than money or wanting to coach at a upper tier university. I just think the timing isn’t right. I here a lot of chatter talking Matt Rhule as the #1 desire but he wants to take the rest of the season to “decompress” from the Panthers. NFL isn’t for most college coaches. I don’t see Auburn ever going after a coach with a tainted past, per the creed, so I think Kiffin and Freeze re off the board. Grimes would be a work in progress, IMO, and would take a long time to get us back to where we want to be, I don’t know if Auburn as a whole has the patience for him. That’s my .02

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

All these major players in the sports industry can only make it easier for us to target Deion and give him a serious interview. 

I’ll take Deion or Kiffin for sure. Kiffin would be solely amusing to me because I’m in the land of a lot of Rebel fans, it’d be funny to watch them squirm for a while. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I could go there.  But he’s a pure mercenary, it’d be “Texas, ect wants him” yearly drama.

My personal choice would have been Mark Stoops at first, but #viper and the gang sold me on Sanders. 😂

3 minutes ago, aubcali said:

My personal choice would have been Mark Stoops at first, but #viper and the gang sold me on Sanders. 😂

As was posted a while back - all other coaching options  are various degrees of first aid,  Prime is a defibrillator 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

All these major players in the sports industry can only make it easier for us to target Deion and give him a serious interview. 

I’ll take Deion or Kiffin for sure. Kiffin would be solely amusing to me because I’m in the land of a lot of Rebel fans, it’d be funny to watch them squirm for a while. 

I don't care about the Ole Miss aspect as much as I care about the Bama troll factor. No clue if we really push for him, but he did complain about certain issues there(fan participation/lack thereof) that wouldn't be an issue here. I dont want to pay him crazy money and then struggle to pay/keep strong staff either. We shall see.

As far as kiffin do people think he can do something here that he couldn't do at ole miss? What's the upside?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As far as kiffin do people think he can do something here that he couldn't do at ole miss? What's the upside?

I think it's just hype for the most part. Thoughts that he would have better resources and support here so potentially better results. And then the built in Bama/Saban hate prob drives some of it too. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Agree 100%. 
He may say that he is happy where he is and I can respect that, but we can try. That would mean a lot. 
Auburn tried to get the Ark AD this past  week and failed. But they tried. So next they went after the MSU AD. 
It shows that we are willing to spend a lot of money and go after the best. 

Exactly. I can live with failure. I can’t live with not trying.