My final take on Freeze

auburnatl1

This won’t go over well but while getting ready to watch the msu game I thought itd be a good time to try to exceed the facepalms record.

The logic for Freeze. Respectfully, imo there’s some but not much. I’ve thought about it and I just don’t get it. Nonetheless, his case:

1. He beat saban twice (for some I could just stop there)

2. He had a 10 win season 

3. He has SEC experience

4. Liberty has improved

Context. He was 69-32 at ole miss which is under 70%, gus  (another “high school coach”) spanked him regularly, and his best years were done with with illegally recruited players. 7 years ago. And even before all hell broke loose, and this is critical, no major program pursued him. Then or now. Ever. Hot coaches that are established are ALWAYS  pursued.

The hell breaking loose stuff is already passionately argued everywhere  - so I’ll just say it’d be a problem for our screwed up reputation, many fans, and potentially recruiting (ie Petrino). He’s been branded a pariah. Its way beyond a pearl thing. Add to that the never ending media/fans ethical debates would be a distraction that we don’t have time for with the portal quickly coming. And finally, if the media ever really digs into the wondrous liberty years… 

But long ago he beat bama twice.   

Therefore, the counter to Freeze is: He’s not a major coach to the outside world, he’s major coach to how some of us fixate on bama (he’s literally Gus 2.0 - imo Gus could have done the same quirky offense turnaround at Liberty) and he breaks way more things than he fixes. It’s looking back. 

But, yes, he beat bama twice. 

My point. It’s deeply entrenched little brother jaba stuff. Another getting better for 2 years then hitting the elite teams 5*wall again. Big programs think top 5 recruiting classes and national championships. They don’t focus on bama. Time to up our goals and how to get there. JMHO

ps if liberty beats arky today, this board will be an absolute spectator sport. But it won’t change the fact that he’s another coach em up, non splash candidate 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Not a vote for Freeze but he did far more with Willis than Gus ever could. If Willis would have stayed under Gus he may be a 3rd string DB in the CFL or manager at a Courtyard Marriott. It tells me Auburn would excel in an important area under Freeze QB development, and a more refined less predictable offense. Anyway I think Freeze is toxic and Auburn should go another way. Sidebar an old guy told me Freeze has already purchased a lake house (Lake Martin) and the deal is imminent 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Not a vote for Freeze but he did far more with Willis than Gus ever could. If Willis would have stayed under Gus he may be a 3rd string DB in the CFL or manager at a Courtyard Marriott. It tells me Auburn would excel in an important area under Freeze QB development, and a more refined less predictable offense. Anyway I think Freeze is toxic and Auburn should go another way. Sidebar an old guy told me Freeze has already purchased a lake house (Lake Martin) and the deal is imminent 🤷🏽‍♂️

I don't understand turning Freeze in to a god over his success w Willis who is on record stating "he was way to immature for qb1 while at auburn". Perhaps he really is the beezneez but I really dont value the Malik success as much as others do. 

Yes it is worth mentioning and making note of but I don't know that it means he is a qb whispering guru.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1

I said this in another thread but I’ll repeat it here: if you are going to throw morals and ethics out the window, why not go after Urban or Art Briles? At least they are wayyyy better coaches and have won way more than Freeze. Auburn fans cannot even vouch for the right guy when it comes to a scumbag who wins games, it’s hilarious and dumbfounding at the same time. Also, and no Freeze fan has been able to answer me this: do you really and honestly believe that our new AD would hire him? You guys do know that he was the AD at MSU when all of that went down and probably has wayyyy more information that the public doesn’t know. So, yea, can’t even use logic as well. In essence, it ain’t happening and have never seen such a cult following for such a mediocre coach. At least want Urban or Art Briles, at least their on the field record is substantially better than Freeze…

• Like 6

Also, let’s play a fun game:

Coach A:

25-23 SEC record

Had 1 10 win season at ole miss in 6 years

Coach B:

18-22 SEC Record

Had 1 10 win season at Ole Miss in 5 years

Which coach would you choose?

Edited by Auburnguy101

8 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Also, let’s ply a fun game:

Coach A:

25-23 SEC record

Had 1 10 win season at ole miss in 6 years

Coach B:

18-22 SEC Record

Had 1 10 win season at Ole Miss in 5 years

Which coach would you choose?

Obviously out of those you would choose coach A because of his SEC record vs that of Coach B. However I believe that Coach B is the answer that you are looking for and a case can be made for him that he got to 10 wins within 5 season vs 6 seasons

3 minutes ago, Taker said:

Obviously out of those you would choose coach A because of his SEC record vs that of Coach B. However I believe that Coach B is the answer that you are looking for and a case can be made for him that he got to 10 wins within 5 season vs 6 seasons

Well, Coach A is David Cutcliffe and did so without cheating. The other was Freeze and his last year he went 2-6 in the SEC. So, again, tell me how great Freeze is? Had a worse record than Cutcliffe yet he would bring championships to Auburn? Again, Freeze fan boys can’t use faces and logic…

Edited by Auburnguy101

49 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

This won’t go over well but while getting ready to watch the msu game I thought itd be a good time to try to exceed the facepalms record.

The logic for Freeze. Respectfully, imo there’s some but not much. I’ve thought about it and I just don’t get it. Nonetheless, his case:

3. He has SEC experience

4. Liberty has improved

Context. He was 69-32 at ole miss which is under 70%, gus  (another “high school coach”) spanked him regularly, and his best years were done with with illegally recruited players. 7 years ago. And even before all hell broke loose, and this is critical, no major program pursued him. Then or now. Ever. Hot coaches that established are ALWAYS  pursued.

The hell breaking loose stuff is already passionately argued everywhere  - so I’ll just say it’d be a problem for our screwed up reputation, many fans, and potentially recruiting (ie Petrino). He’s been branded a pariah. Its way beyond a pearl thing. Add to that the never ending media/fans ethical debates would be a distraction that we don’t have time for with the portal quickly coming. And finally, if the media ever really digs into the wondrous liberty years… 

Therefore, the counter to Freeze is: He’s not a major coach to the outside world, he’s major coach to how some of us fixate on bama (he’s literally Gus 2.0 - imo Gus could have done the same quirky offense turnaround at Liberty) and he breaks way more things than he fixes. It’s looking back. 

My point. It’s little brother jaba stuff. Big programs think national championships. They don’t focus on bama. Time to up our goals and how to get there. JMHO

ps if liberty upsets arky today, this board will be an absolute spectator sport. But it won’t change the facts

Best take on Freeze I've seen. 

Lane, Sanders, Lanning...or bust.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Good points. Never read anyone say any of this before. 

Same ole same ole. 

• Like 1

So I may be in he minority here, but I am a big fan of Freeze....and not because he beat Bama twice. That is an impressive feat, but I happen to think he is a very good coach and QB developer. Look at what eh did with Bo Wallace and Chad Kelly...not to mention Willis. He has always had solid offenses. 

Yes, he did some shady #$%^ at Ole Miss, but people make mistakes. I think he has a firm grasp on SEC and recruiting in the south and now with NIL I believe he could do very well. The big step up with him is QB development imo. Yes we beat him regularly with Gus, but we also are supposed to beat Ole Miss on the reg. We beat Kiffen last year, too. Does that mean we shouldn't look at him. 

My list is Prime, Then Freeze and Kiffen are 4a and 4b (Prime is option 1, 2 and 3 lol). After those 3, Rhule, Grimes.

• Like 2

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

So I may be in he minority here, but I am a big fan of Freeze....and not because he beat Bama twice. That is an impressive feat, but I happen to think he is a very good coach and QB developer. Look at what eh did with Bo Wallace and Chad Kelly...not to mention Willis. He has always had solid offenses. 

Yes, he did some shady #$%^ at Ole Miss, but people make mistakes. I think he has a firm grasp on SEC and recruiting in the south and now with NIL I believe he could do very well. The big step up with him is QB development imo. Yes we beat him regularly with Gus, but we also are supposed to beat Ole Miss on the reg. We beat Kiffen last year, too. Does that mean we shouldn't look at him. 

My list is Prime, Then Freeze and Kiffen are 4a and 4b (Prime is option 1, 2 and 3 lol). After those 3, Rhule, Grimes.

Freeze ,

prime

Kiffin

are all good choices and Auburn will do well to have any of them. People with moral distress can quit posting and go spend more time with their family. Might do them some good. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Well, Coach A is David Cutcliffe and did so without cheating. The other was Freeze and his last year he went 2-6 in the SEC. So, again, tell me how great Freeze is? Had a worse record than Cutcliffe yet he would bring championships to Auburn? Again, Freeze fan boys can’t use faces and logic…

101- I am not a freezer in the slightest. I think that given the situation we should seek and hire a coach without the questionable baggage.  I know reformation is possible but I just do not see him as a viable option. I feel like he would be a distraction more so than a galvanizing figure

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

3. He has SEC experience

4. Liberty has improved

Context. He was 69-32 at ole miss which is under 70%, gus  (another “high school coach”) spanked him regularly, and his best years were done with with illegally recruited players. 7 years ago. And even before all hell broke loose, and this is critical, no major program pursued him. Then or now. Ever. Hot coaches that established are ALWAYS  pursued.

My point. It’s little brother jaba stuff. Big programs think national championships. They don’t focus on bama. Time to up our goals and how to get there. JMHO

ps if liberty upsets arky today, this board will be an absolute spectator sport. But it won’t change the facts

Only reason I’d facepalm is you used black colored font.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Taker said:

101- I am not a freezer in the slightest. I think that given the situation we should seek and hire a coach without the questionable baggage.  I know reformation is possible but I just do not see him as a viable option. I feel like he would be a distraction more so than a galvanizing figure

I was just saying in general the people who tout Freeze as this amazing coach that he’s literally no better than David Cutcliffe and David did it without the cheating. But again, that doesn’t fit the narrative for their fandom of Freeze…

• Like 1

I like Freeze because he has Memphis roots aat Briarcrest High and on a personal level some of the realest folks i know come out of memphis, those roots could help in recruiting. Was the dm'ing of that one girl about how "jesus like" his buddy is confirmed true? Ive heard mixed answers about that. I wouldnt be upset w the hire

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

3. He has SEC experience

4. Liberty has improved

You are dead on.

• Facepalm 1

I have not been a big fan of Burner. BUT, as mentioned previously he has been around. He knows position Coaches and Coordinators, Recruiters.

Have talked with former Players, they say Auburn needs Players.. No Brainer. NIL needs are HUGE, again No Brainer.

Scholly's are annual. I will assume that All players that are eligible for NFL draft that are NFL material will jump. The locker room at A day could be empty.

HF "could" excel with an expanded Recruiting Budget. Report decreased from 1.7mil to 200k, is this true?

• Like 1

I don't understand why so many people want Sanders, if we are going to hire someone with very little or no experience as a head coach I would choose Caddy over Deion.  Ive always thought of Sanders as a huge primadonna.  Just earlier this year Deion had a hissy fit and stormed out of a press conference because a couple of reporters called him Deion rather than Coach Sanders.  Comparing himself to Nick Saban, he said the press never calls Nick Saban "Nick" when addressing him and he won't have it either.  To which at least of a couple members of the press informed him that Nick Saban is called Nick regularly during interviews and press conferences.  That doesn't sound like Auburn coach material to me.  

• Like 2

Give me an example of the negative recruiting tactic and how it’s going to be successful?  Keeping in mind that you may not be representative of the typical recruit’s parent/handler/coach.

• Like 1

Freeze would be a major disappointment to me. This is a major crossroads. We need Kiffin or Prime. No more shenanigans. It’s time to compete for players everyday. It’s Jimmy’s and Joe’s.