What have we see so far from Freeze?

AURex

I am in the Hugh’s pew!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

He is a great recruiter based on the NLI letters we received where he moved our class from 50+ to 17th and may even pick up some in late NSD plus he is working the portal hard  and we look good on that front if we get the ones that we seem to be leading for. 

• Like 1

He and his coaches/recruiters did some deliberate homework in finding ones that we should have pursued earlier. They were able to get some real important position players to "flip" and come back home. They pursued players in JUCO to fill positions of need and kept our original group of AU recruits together.

I had hoped he and his coaches would be able to do something really positive. They did that and more.

WDE!!

• Like 4

On 12/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

Ok bro, u got that one right. Let's see how this one plays out. 

Skipped right over the guy I wanted instead of Mr. Potato Head. How’s he doing in his first full year of recruiting on the new job?

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Season/2023-Football/Commits/

Overall Rank

Composite Rank

Transfer Rank

4648201.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset
Head coach: Mario Cristobal

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

Skipped right over the guy I wanted instead of Mr. Potato Head. How’s he doing in his first full year of recruiting on the new job?

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Season/2023-Football/Commits/

Overall Rank

Composite Rank

Transfer Rank

4648201.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset
Head coach: Mario Cristobal

.. U wanted Mario? Great recruiter but hasnt shown as much success with wins and losses .. at least so far

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

.. U wanted Mario? Great recruiter but hasnt shown as much success with wins and losses .. at least so far

Mario instead of Mr. Potato Head?

CrazyGaseousAnemone-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Viper said:

Mario instead of Mr. Potato Head?

CrazyGaseousAnemone-max-1mb.gif

I think Mario recruited pretty well at Oregon as well and didn’t have much to show for it. He sure didn’t this year at Miami. Time will tell. I’d be interested as well to revisit this in about a year and see what Freeze’s first full round looks like. More than that, to see what the wins and losses look like compared with Mario’s after year 1. I think Lanning is a better coach overall than Mario, I could be wrong.

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AUINSY said:

I think Mario recruited pretty well at Oregon as well and didn’t have much to show for it. He sure didn’t this year at Miami. Time will tell. I’d be interested as well to revisit this in about a year and see what Freeze’s first full round looks like. More than that, to see what the wins and losses look like compared with Mario’s after year 1. I think Lanning is a better coach overall than Mario, I could be wrong.

Yup am looking forward to see where Freeze's first full class finishes at on NSD 2023 as compared to Mario's NSD 2022. I'm betting it won't be Top 4.

Not saying Mario was the correct choice as I do believe he would eventually have left AU for Miami regardless.

Still, there was supposed confirmation we avoided him because of his poor record at Oregon down the stretch of 2021 losing his last 3 of 4 games...two of those to 10-win Utah, who was really freaking good at the end of 2021, taking Ohio St in the Rose Bowl to the wire.

At the same time, I suppose we're supposed to forget Freeze's horrific 3-game end to 2022 at Liberty. They weren't playing any 10-win teams down the stretch.

Mario had a rough year in 2022 with what was left him by the two previous staffs. Will take time, but he will turn them around by stringing together several Top 5-10 classes, something they haven't had in 20 years. In 2-3 years, he'll be giving Dabo a run for ACC crowns...until Dabo replaces Saban.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:28 AM, bishoptf said:

Of all the Bama coaches Stallings was a class act, I can't stand anything with UAT or theif fans for the most part but Gene Stallings was a good coach and a good human being. Hopefully our outcome will be the same...:)

i forget the year but stallings beat us pretty handily so i wrote him and asked for his autograph. i asked him to put hare kitty kitty kitty but i never heard back from him. i am a true auburn man and i thought it would be epic. and he is the only coach i would have asked that of. but as an aside the last band i was in did free shows for the kids and adults at rainbow omega. where gene's son was. i never met either but talk about a blessing. folks were dancing in wheelchairs. a kid that was mentally handicapped got on stage with us and he played his guitar all night. it meant the world tohim and when we were done allhis little friends came up to him and talked about how epic he was and the smileon that kid is still in my heart. he could not play but he did not let that stop him. sorry for getting off track. i am alone and just need to run my mouth some.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yup am looking forward to see where Freeze's first full class finishes at on NSD 2023 as compared to Mario's NSD 2022. I'm betting it won't be Top 4.

Not saying Mario was the correct choice as I do believe he would eventually have left AU for Miami regardless.

Still, there was supposed confirmation we avoided him because of his poor record at Oregon down the stretch of 2021 losing his last 3 of 4 games...two of those to 10-win Utah, who was really freaking good at the end of 2021, taking Ohio St in the Rose Bowl to the wire.

At the same time, I suppose we're supposed to forget Freeze's horrific 3-game end to 2022 at Liberty. They weren't playing any 10-win teams down the stretch.

Mario had a rough year in 2022 with what was left him by the two previous staffs. Will take time, but he will turn them around by stringing together several Top 5-10 classes, something they haven't had in 20 years. In 2-3 years, he'll be giving Dabo a run for ACC crowns...until Dabo replaces Saban.

he lost his starting qb and it does make a difference. your bashing is getting tiresome and is a bad look since he has not coached a game here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

I am proud of Coach Freeze, the head coach at AU, and his staff. Is it OK to say that here?

I suppose if I wanted to toot the horn of another school’s head coach, I might visit their fan boy sites. 

you are dang right you have that right! do not let the haters steal your joy. what he has done is remarkable in two weeks and some haters will not tell you this. it was like running a race and everyone had a head start and you still have a great showing considering the circumstances.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

your bashing is getting tiresome and is a bad look since he has not coached a game here.

Was it a bad look the first 48 hours after his hire when 90% of this board bashed him for his past?

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

So far, given the short recruiting window since he arrived, he and his assistants have really done a great job recruiting. IMO, Early NSD was a great success after the hole the Harsin club dug him into.

I'm also giving him a pass on all the buddies he's hired as assistant coaches. The Harsin Boise crew sucked big donkey b*lls. We haven't sen any actual productivity yet from the Freeze hires and won't until next season, but I'm hoping his staff can succeed.

So, as per my original post -- I'm optimistic.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AURex said:

So far, given the short recruiting window since he arrived, he and his assistants have really done a great job recruiting. IMO, Early NSD was a great success after the hole the Harsin club dug him into.

I'm also giving him a pass on all the buddies he's hired as assistant coaches. The Harsin Boise crew sucked big donkey b*lls. We haven't sen any actual productivity yet from the Freeze hires and won't until next season, but I'm hoping his staff can succeed.

So, as per my original post -- I'm optimistic.

Seems very silly for a coach to hire assistant coaches that he has worked with in the past doesn’t it. Well maybe not so much!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viper said:

Was it a bad look the first 48 hours after his hire when 90% of this board bashed him for his past?

You sure about that 90%? Gonna need the link on that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Viper said:

Wasn’t Cristobal hired last year with about the same amount of time to recruit as Freeze has had? And ended up in around the same spot? Only difference is that he didn’t have quite the hole to dig himself out of. If you’re going to compare things, that seems like a more accurate comparison. Doesn’t fit quite as well with your narrative though, I guess. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Warnugget said:

Wasn’t Cristobal hired last year with about the same amount of time to recruit as Freeze has had? And ended up in around the same spot? Only difference is that he didn’t have quite the hole to dig himself out of. If you’re going to compare things, that seems like a more accurate comparison. Doesn’t fit quite as well with your narrative though, I guess. 

Nope. I'll wait on THE accurate comparison of any first year HC...the results of their first FULL class. Mario at #4. You putting $$$ on Freeze matching #4 on NSD 2023? I didn't think so. I guess that doesn't fit your narrative.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Nope. I'll wait on THE accurate comparison of any first year HC...the results of their first FULL class. Mario at #4. You putting $$$ on Freeze matching #4 on NSD 2023? I didn't think so. I guess that doesn't fit your narrative.

What’s my narrative? I’m not the one making silly claims. 

Edited by Warnugget
Autocorrect got me

1 hour ago, Viper said:

To answer your childish question, I’m not putting money on anybody to end next year with a #4 recruiting class. And if you’re really waiting on accurate comparisons, then why are you on so many threads flaunting your Freeze Derangement Syndrome, instead of acknowledging that he’s doing a good job with recruiting? Maybe if you could show us your bet slip where you put money on Cristobal pulling in a top 5 recruiting class this year, I’d humbly eat my words. You won’t though. 🤡

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Unless Mario hires top notch coordinators to manage games then he will be fired before Freeze. 

Edit. Is this what y’all argue about on Christmas Eve? Sigh. Enjoy the season. These conversations are pointless (I would know I engage in them weekly). 

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Viper said:

I would say 20% max.   Most of those were just a little shocked at the hire when it was not their  first choice.  

I said at the hire "" in 2 weeks people would get bored of it move on to the next big news topic. Those that have not are so emotionally vested it their stance may never take the hit to their pride and convert.

Those first 10 days were brutal!!.....  But THAT WAS THE BRUNT OF IT and we have gotten through it.    It is time to move forward. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Warnugget said:

What’s my narrative? I’m not the one making silly claims. 

He's using Cristobal as a smokescreen. What's really put the thorn in his side is that AU didn't hire his boi Sanders. Sanders currently has Colorado at #32 in recruiting while Freeze has AU at #16. (Rivals) Even 32nd is an overstatement for Colorado because for whatever reasons, four of Sanders' recruits didn't sign, they are still listed as "Verbal".

To make matters worse, the five 5* guys who were said to have tweeted Sanders and said they would go wherever he was coaching haven't materialized. When that silly claim was made here I asked for names, but of course the names of those Fab Five were never provided. Apparently they never existed. But, since people can't point at any success by Sanders they have to find someone like Cristobal to talk about.

'Tis a bitter pill for some to swallow.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1