2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

57 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Look at our schedule. Barring a rash of injuries, there is no excuse for us to not make a bowl game this year, even with our bad QBs. Pretty sure HF would adjust & rely more on the run game.

Adjust? What is that?

\s

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, metafour said:

Here is your actual timeline on Robby Ashford's career:

1) Was hyped 4-star QB at Hoover entering his SR year. Has a poor SR season and falls to 3-star as his final rating on most sites.
2) Was committed to Ole Miss prior to Kiffin being hired, ends up flipping to Oregon to be the 2nd QB in their class after the coaching change at Ole Miss (Kiffin didn't want him?)
3) Year 1 at Oregon: Plays baseball for ~20 games, quits to focus on football completely. ~#4 on their QB depth chart.
4) Year 2 at Oregon: Doesn't make much movement on their depth chart. Stuck at #3 or #4 on the depth chart. Opts to transfer.
5) Year 1 at Auburn: Loses fall camp battle to TJ Finley. Would have been #3 on the depth chart had Calzada not been injured.
6) Year 1 at Auburn: Pushed onto the field as the season collapses. Plays "hard", but not very well.
7) Year 1 at Auburn: Doesn't show much if any improvement game to game as the season progressed. In fact, after Harsin was fired they had to change the offense completely in order to work around his deficiencies. His completion percentage was actually WORSE in the 2nd half of the season.
8 ) Year 2 at Auburn: Shows some "improvement", but leaves Spring camp without being named the starter. Freeze and company are still searching for QB's in the Portal. Keep in mind, he has now been through 3-4 Spring Camp sessions and has not once been able to actually "win" the starting job. He is in year #4 of his NCAA career and is not even technically the starter here.

If you actually read the above timeline and think objectively, there is absolutely nothing in Ashford's resume to suggest that this is the makings of an actual worthwhile SEC starting QB.

Hope and prayer that he makes some sort of drastic improvement is all there is. But really, a QB who has been training for 3+ years already in college under multiple P5 coaching staffs is more or less developed by this point.

Yeah, I say let's take our chances with Thompson if we're not absolutely confident in someone better.

Edited by AUwent

45 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

And TJ is still on the roster and we still don't have a QB from the portal. We've been close on tons of players for years but until they suit up for Auburn, what does it matter? McCall isn't here.

Portal has been open for 2 days. Most spring games just ended. We'll have guys. If we had no targets we would accept a commit from the Oregon St kid already. 

Right, McCall isn't here be he's not good at school and we got screwed. Bad luck.

We missed on Leary, Mordecai, and Hartman. 

I'm still in the camp we should have taken Sanders. I believe there is valid criticism there. Look at his stats from this past Saturday. He's healthy and would have been a huge talent increase 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We missed on Leary, Mordecai, and Hartman. 

Don't believe we went after Mordecai, and Hartman was never going anywhere but ND due to previous relationships.

• Like 2

Just now, AUwent said:

It's just a head scratcher that we landed WW yet missed on everybody in the TP at QB.

@AUwent The only true documented miss was Leary. We didn't have a chance with any of the few others we pursued and would have taken. It's not everything but previous relationships are very important some times in the portal, especially at a position like QB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Here is your actual timeline on Robby Ashford's career:

1) Was hyped 4-star QB at Hoover entering his SR year. Has a poor SR season and falls to 3-star as his final rating on most sites.
2) Was committed to Ole Miss prior to Kiffin being hired, ends up flipping to Oregon to be the 2nd QB in their class after the coaching change at Ole Miss (Kiffin didn't want him?)
3) Year 1 at Oregon: Plays baseball for ~20 games, quits to focus on football completely. ~#4 on their QB depth chart.
4) Year 2 at Oregon: Doesn't make much movement on their depth chart. Stuck at #3 or #4 on the depth chart. Opts to transfer.
5) Year 1 at Auburn: Loses fall camp battle to TJ Finley. Would have been #3 on the depth chart had Calzada not been injured.
6) Year 1 at Auburn: Pushed onto the field as the season collapses. Plays "hard", but not very well.
7) Year 1 at Auburn: Doesn't show much if any improvement game to game as the season progressed. In fact, after Harsin was fired they had to change the offense completely in order to work around his deficiencies. His completion percentage was actually WORSE in the 2nd half of the season.
8 ) Year 2 at Auburn: Shows some "improvement", but leaves Spring camp without being named the starter. Freeze and company are still searching for QB's in the Portal. Keep in mind, he has now been through 3-4 Spring Camp sessions and has not once been able to actually "win" the starting job. He is in year #4 of his NCAA career and is not even technically the starter here.

If you actually read the above timeline and think objectively, there is absolutely nothing in Ashford's resume to suggest that this is the makings of an actual worthwhile SEC starting QB.

Hope and prayer that he makes some sort of drastic improvement is all there is. But really, a QB who has been training for 3+ years already in college under multiple P5 coaching staffs is more or less developed by this point.

Safety 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Safety 

Only a DB coach would want everyone not working out in current position to transition to secondary 😆

• Like 1

We are really in a wait-and-see holding pattern right now. Just not a lot of information out there; additionally the portal isn't near as full as it has been at this point in previous seasons. SEC transfers are out of the discussion too considering they would have to sit a year and the staff wants instant-impact players.

Quarterback:

• We for sure are looking for a starting-caliber quarterback to become available. Allegedly, there was one from NCST we liked but some leaks and threats of tampering accusations may have killed that route. The names currently in the portal are not impressive.

Running Back:

• I don't think we'll pursue any RBs in the portal.

Wide Receiver:

• We would love to add three. A big outside threat, an inside speed-type, and an all-arounder for the other outside position.

Tight End:

• I don't think we are looking for another addition.

Offensive Tackle:

• Maybe if a depth piece arises but I don't think we see another tackle brought in for this group.

Interior Linemen:

• The staff would like 1-2 more interior offensive linemen. At least for depth, they would like to add some quality pieces. Jeremiah Wright and Tate are solid but injury-prone.

Edge/Jack:

• We would still like more talent here.

Defensive Line/End:

• I could see us taking 2-3 here if the right names appear.

Linebacker:

• Could see us taking one if the right name pops up.

Defensive Backs:

• Need depth at corner and ideally a better option at safety.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't believe we went after Mordecai, and Hartman was never going anywhere but ND due to previous relationships.

Just because they didn't reciprocate and had some connections doesn't mean we didn't try.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We are really in a wait-and-see holding pattern right now. Just not a lot of information out there; additionally the portal isn't near as full as it has been at this point in previous seasons. SEC transfers are out of the discussion too considering they would have to sit a year and the staff wants instant-impact players.

Quarterback:

• We for sure are looking for a starting-caliber quarterback to become available. Allegedly, there was one from NCST we liked but some leaks and threats of tampering accusations may have killed that route. The names currently in the portal are not impressive.

Running Back:

• I don't think we'll pursue any RBs in the portal.

Wide Receiver:

• We would love to add three. A big outside threat, an inside speed-type, and an all-arounder for the other outside position.

Tight End:

• I don't think we are looking for another addition.

Offensive Tackle:

• Maybe if a depth piece arises but I don't think we see another tackle brought in for this group.

Interior Linemen:

• The staff would like 1-2 more interior offensive linemen. At least for depth, they would like to add some quality pieces. Jeremiah Wright and Tate are solid but injury-prone.

Edge/Jack:

• We would still like more talent here.

Defensive Line/End:

• I could see us taking 2-3 here if the right names appear.

Linebacker:

• Could see us taking one if the right name pops up.

Defensive Backs:

• Need depth at corner and ideally a better option at safety.

So basically everywhere except TE & RB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Just because they didn't reciprocate and had some connections doesn't mean we didn't try.

So by this reasoning, if AU sends out 90 scholarship offers and 20 commit to us, HF and the staff failed 70 times? Of course a coach picks up a phone and calls a portal player or someone close to a quality player and inquires about him. This is just doing due diligence. That does not mean there was a chance that said player ever considered AU, or a large percentage of the other teams that reached out. We probably inquired about others that we don't know about. 

Most coaches have a 1-3 year plan. I have no illusions that we have a winner at QB right now, and I know we are searching for an upgrade. But whether we find one or not, I'm gonna give a coach the benefit of the doubt until he forms the foundation to build on. This year is the foundation year, IMO. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Zeek said:

threats of tampering accusations may have killed that route.

I'm pretty sure NCST cried when Leary left too.  Maybe it was Wake, IDK....but there are no rules anymore.  Should tell the NCAA to bug off.  Unless there is direct contact from a coach to the player we're clean.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

So by this reasoning, if AU sends out 90 scholarship offers and 20 commit to us, HF and the staff failed 70 times?

Yes?  It's a numbers game.  We are never going to bat 1.000.  It's just the truth vs sugar coating it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Hartman was never going anywhere but ND due to previous relationships.

What relationship was that?  He didn't have a relationship with Freeman or Reese.

Just now, W.E.D said:

Yes?  It's a numbers game.  We are never going to bat 1.000.  It's just the truth vs sugar coating it.

I think we are just differing on what constitutes a legitimate chance versus an inquiry. Sure Everyschool U offers all the 5 stars everywhere and fails most of the time. I don't consider that a whiff. But others may view it differently. 

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

We really need A QB with 2 yrs eligibility left. We can't bank on WW being ready year 1. He needs a year to sit and watch.

I think at this point we can't be too big of choosers.  If we get a 1 year guy we're probably just doing this again next year and hopefully we have some better foundation to sell players on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Fair but it's highly likely had we tried someone connected would have found out and gotten some info out, even if it was just a smal hint. 

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Fair but it's highly likely had we tried someone connected would have found out and gotten some info out, even if it was just a smal hint. 

That's perfectly legal, I believe.  We should be doing that heavily

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Only a DB coach would want everyone not working out in current position to transition to secondary 😆

Not wrong...

Where else could you play him?

Just now, bigbird said:

Not wrong...

Where else could you play him?

McCaleb position .. Hugh must discuss with Gus 😁

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What relationship was that?  He didn't have a relationship with Freeman or Reese.

Fair. I misremembered on that. I did some digging and turns out he wanted and knew he was going to ND even before he publicly entered the portal so literally no team not named ND had 0 chance of getting him. For his last year of college he wants to go to a school that can be on a bigger platform and have better talent than Wake. As we knoe AU is depleted some on talent which is likely why he wouldn't have given us a look for his last year to make a splash for the NFL.

28 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

We really need A QB with 2 yrs eligibility left. We can't bank on WW being ready year 1. He needs a year to sit and watch.

Or we could get a 1 and done 2 yers in a row if need be.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Fair. I misremembered on that. I did some digging and turns out he wanted and knew he was going to ND even before he publicly entered the portal so literally no team not named ND had 0 chance of getting him. For his last year of college he wants to go to a school that can be on a bigger platform and have better talent than Wake. As we knoe AU is depleted some on talent which is likely why he wouldn't have given us a look for his last year to make a splash for the NFL.

ND was set up for any good QB to come in and elevate.  They have of the best OLs and run games in the nation and I'm sure some talent at skill positions.  They were a much better destination than us.  They pretty much had their pick of QBs and got one of the of the top ones if not the top.  I think they pretty much set their focus on him immediately.  I'm sure we made calls, but they were plug and play NFL QB ready