2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Obviously because the staff believes they can get better than him. No need to settle in January.

I'd say it's time to settle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'd say it's time to settle

It was time to settle after we did not get McCall tbh...Kind of sucks we did not have Nolan here for spring practice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cam and Nick won games by 30 pts throwing 15 times for 150 and running 15 times for 150.  If you can get Robbie to those numbers I think Auburn will be fine.  Asking Robbie to throw 40+ times like Harsin did isn’t the move.  Also not comparing Robbie to Cam or Nick.  I’m just saying that’s the model to win with Robbie. Auburn has the running back stable to go fast.  Put Fromm at Blocking Back/TE.  

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Cam and Nick won games by 30 pts throwing 15 times for 150 and running 15 times for 150.  If you can get Robbie to those numbers I think Auburn will be fine.  Asking Robbie to throw 40+ times like Harsin did isn’t the move.  Also not comparing Robbie to Cam or Nick.  I’m just saying that’s the model to win with Robbie. Auburn has the running back stable to go fast.  Put Fromm at Blocking Back/TE.  

Cam was one of the most efficient passers at Auburn. Look at his QB Rating. It's huge. He average like 210yds pg

• Thanks 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

Cam was one of the most efficient passers at Auburn. Look at his QB Rating. It's huge. He average like 210yds pg

And the nick marshall group was a perfect storm and a scheme that Gus utilized until the rule change. We got to be freaking realistic around here.

• Like 4

I think  there are several QBs in the portal already that are a little  better than what we have. Our staff obviously wants to get the best they can get, so I think they'll probably wait until near the end of the window to make a strong push.  They have caught a lot of criticism for not getting a QB from the first window. But nothing like the heat they would get if they sign a transfer who is no better or maybe less talented than what we have. It's hard for fans to be patient and to trust.

Just now, autan said:

I think  there are several QBs in the portal already that are a little  better than what we have. Our staff obviously wants to get the best they can get, so I think they'll probably wait until near the end of the window to make a strong push.  They have caught a lot of criticism for not getting a QB from the first window. But nothing like the heat they would get if they sign a transfer who is no better or maybe less talented than what we have. It's hard for fans to be patient and to trust.

Yeah, classic one in the hand vs two in the bush.

We'll see how it ends up.

Guys, it's more than just stats when looking at a transfer QB. Danny Hugh has said time and time again that all transfers have to fit our culture. I'm not sure he is gonna take A QB in the portal unless he knows for sure he will start from Day 1. He is in a tough spot trying to build a bridge to WW. He can't afford to lose the team his 1st year. Are we sure the Ore St or Old Dom QB is that much of an upgrade?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Guys, it's more than just stats when looking at a transfer QB. Danny Hugh has said time and time again that all transfers have to fit our culture.

Our culture the past few seasons has become one of mediocre results and sub standard QB play. If we are looking for a QB to fit our culture I don't think we have to look too far. There is a saying when talking about getting the job done in regard to personnel...you either change the person or you change the person. Looks like we have to hope Freeze can make who we already have better.

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Our culture the past few seasons has become one of mediocre results and sub standard QB play. If we are looking for a QB to fit our culture I don't think we have to look too far. There is a saying when talking about getting the job done in regard to personnel...you either change the person or you change the person. Looks like we have to hope Freeze can make who we already have better.

Yep. To me the Old Dom. Or Oregon St qb are backups to take TJ place if he leaves

Do people here still think the guys we have here are truly starting caliber? If they were, we wouldn't be searching so hard for 1-2 Transfer QBs.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do people here still think the guys we have here are truly starting caliber

Believe yes bc miracles can happen

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Believe yes bc miracles can happen

It's like how many times do we have to go through this stuff...didn't we go through fairy tales the last two years...If they haven't set themselves apart over the spring then it is not just going to magically happen in the next couple of months.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

Are we having fun yet? Or is that for the nest thread where it was allegedly gonna be a fun weekend? 😬🤐

• Haha 2

I can just see it now. We go into the 2023 season with what looks to be a decent, 7-9 win level squad, only to be hamstrung by QB play and only win 6 games. It would be the Auburn way to do this. 

• Like 1

I guess the spring game stats this weekend were missed....

4 TDs and a >70 Comp%

Oklahoma State transfer Spencer Sanderds (Blue), who has been fighting a shoulder injury all spring, finished 19-of-27 for 265 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. He also carried six times for 72 yards and a score.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I can just see it now. We go into the 2023 season with what looks to be a decent, 7-9 win level squad, only to be hamstrung by QB play and only win 6 games. It would be the Auburn way to do this. 

We need be QB play no doubt. But let's not forget last year we weren't a bulldozer crew on the OL And Our WR room is in need of a roster turnover as well. Can't blame it all on Robby

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I problem with that theory, while our OLs appear to be improved they likely aren't the best OLs in the SEC like the 2010 & 2013's were.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Guys, it's more than just stats when looking at a transfer QB. Danny Hugh has said time and time again that all transfers have to fit our culture. I'm not sure he is gonna take A QB in the portal unless he knows for sure he will start from Day 1. He is in a tough spot trying to build a bridge to WW. He can't afford to lose the team his 1st year. Are we sure the Ore St or Old Dom QB is that much of an upgrade?

@NWALA Tiger Any solid upgrade would be godd but you did make a great point. They do have to fdilt the cultutr HF wants.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

To me the Old Dom. Or Oregon St qb are backups to take TJ place if he leaves

Nolan is better than RA in accuracy if healthy, which as Bird pointed out is priority #1.