Spring Practice Updates…

toddc

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Y’all…if you’ve been here any time at all…you know that I’m realistic when it comes to our football team. I’m usually right…but that’s for another time. And let me say, before I state this…that I understand we haven’t played a game yet. But…

this team is going to be good. Maybe not top 10 good, but very very good. We are gonna win some ballgames. This OL is SOOOO much better. Our WRs have size and talent. Defense has depth. Dbacks are going to be top1-2 in the SEC. DLine with some speed. Man. 

my opinion, we still need a QB.  That’s the ceiling for us. 

but we messed around and somehow got us a coach/coaches and we got a major upgrade in talent. 

Started drinking again didn't you:poke:

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually I do but I'll let it slide.......for now

I was just waiting for you to post. I've been getting it so I thought who's better to share it with!

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I was just waiting for you to post. I've been getting it so I thought who's better to share it with!

Thanks so much....

6 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Y’all…if you’ve been here any time at all…you know that I’m realistic when it comes to our football team. I’m usually right…but that’s for another time. And let me say, before I state this…that I understand we haven’t played a game yet. But…

this team is going to be good. Maybe not top 10 good, but very very good. We are gonna win some ballgames. This OL is SOOOO much better. Our WRs have size and talent. Defense has depth. Dbacks are going to be top1-2 in the SEC. DLine with some speed. Man. 

but we messed around and somehow got us a coach/coaches and we got a major upgrade in talent. 

Your prognostication skills were dead on about Harsin.  I hope you haven't lost your touch.   

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I am just glad to hear something. It was so quiet that I was wondering if the coaches thought they were so good that they did not need spring training and called it off. 

• Haha 1

It is amazing how a handful of posters can dictate moods on here. We will see. I think from a coaching perspective they naturally will look better. I also think the schedule is favorable for next year.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is amazing how a handful of posters can dictate moods on here....

I think from a coaching perspective they naturally will look better. I also think the schedule is favorable for next year.

Welp.   Now    I think from a coaching perspective they naturally will look better. I also think the schedule is favorable for next year.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, DAG said:

It is amazing how a handful of posters can dictate moods on here. We will see. I think from a coaching perspective they naturally will look better. I also think the schedule is favorable for next year.

Not sure I'm buying us being in that 2nd tier of teams behind Bama/UGA. Especially when we play Aggies and LSU away. That's already 4 heavily underdog games.

We are missing the most important positions on the filed. We have no QB and no pass rushers.  We'll look better. We've gotten better in areas, but we're still missing a good bit to put us above middle of the pack 5 loss team

• Like 1

Based on schedule alone this team should be improved.  I’m excited to see Jarquez.  He and Alston could be a really good combo next year.  If Robby can become an average Qb you’d have a 3 headed monster in the backfield.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not sure I'm buying us being in that 2nd tier of teams behind Bama/UGA. Especially when we play Aggies and LSU away. That's already 4 heavily underdog games.

We are missing the most important positions on the filed. We have no QB and no pass rushers.  We'll look better. We've gotten better in areas, but we're still missing a good bit to put us above middle of the pack 5 loss team

FWIW, QB aside, I trust that Ron Roberts to be able to scheme up pass rush even without studs. Probably from really weird places. Or he'll compensate with the other things that make defenses great.

https://www.auburnobserver.com/p/auburn-football-pass-rush-2023-defensive-line
https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/auburn-hiring-ron-roberts-named-200030479.html

"Roberts was fired by Baylor in December but was a major part of their success in 2021, their defense led the Big 12 in turnovers (27) and was second in sacks (44) and scoring(18.3).

The Tigers will continue to run a similar 4-2-5 scheme under Roberts, but there will be a much greater emphasis on being aggressive and creating more chaos.

Roberts is a big on havoc rate — i.e. the percentage of plays in with the defense recorded a tackle for loss, sack, forced a fumble, intercepted a pass or broke up a pass — and in his introductory press conference, he listed desire for Auburn to have “20 percent of our plays, we need to work in the havoc rate. If you’re doing that, you’re going to be in the top 20 in the country. That’s our goal coming out of the gate.”"

Edited by Auctoritas

9 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Sounds amazing....

Don't break my heart PTB!

18 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

FWIW, QB aside, I trust that Ron Roberts to be able to scheme up pass rush even without studs. Probably from really weird places. Or he'll compensate with the other things that make defenses great.

https://www.auburnobserver.com/p/auburn-football-pass-rush-2023-defensive-line
https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/auburn-hiring-ron-roberts-named-200030479.html

"Roberts was fired by Baylor in December but was a major part of their success in 2021, their defense led the Big 12 in turnovers (27) and was second in sacks (44) and scoring(18.3).

The Tigers will continue to run a similar 4-2-5 scheme under Roberts, but there will be a much greater emphasis on being aggressive and creating more chaos.

Roberts is a big on havoc rate — i.e. the percentage of plays in with the defense recorded a tackle for loss, sack, forced a fumble, intercepted a pass or broke up a pass — and in his introductory press conference, he listed desire for Auburn to have “20 percent of our plays, we need to work in the havoc rate. If you’re doing that, you’re going to be in the top 20 in the country. That’s our goal coming out of the gate.”"

We'll see. I'd bet against us doubling our team sack totals bc of a new coach while losing two really good edge rushers and a solid guy on the inside.

It will be an improvement to just be competitive and actually look prepared in games.  It's been a few years. I left last year's Penn State game as dejected as I've ever been about the program. 

Granted, it was a different mood when Caddy took the helm. I'm just hoping that carries over with the new staff.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JKClark said:

Your prognostication skills were dead on about Harsin.  I hope you haven't lost your touch.   

Blind squirrel syndrome!!

On 3/5/2023 at 11:40 AM, Hank2020 said:

Blind squirrel syndrome!!

Good gracious, some of you guys are rough! Kind of like Golf was saying, I was happy to hear the good news!

• Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 4:57 AM, passthebiscuits said:

Better QB play with what we have may be our ceiling. I believe QB play will improve and impact our season in a positive manner with this coaching staff.  My 2 cents 

i think we are in much better shape. i am fully behind coach and i think he brings out the best in us. what i find is crazy is the lifting and training exercises. when harsin came it was said our guys were not getting it done or it was not working. anyeone remember that? i know they hit the weights hard and ran bleacher steps so i just assumed we would be more physical. and now i read early on, again, we were not maximizing our efforts or something. i believe an auburn player made the comment. so that is really strange to me. i figured the one thing hars did right was training. i gues not. anyone know or wonder what is going on?

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i think we are in much better shape. i am fully behind coach and i think he brings out the best in us. what i find is crazy is the lifting and training exercises. when harsin came it was said our guys were not getting it done or it was not working. anyeone remember that? i know they hit the weights hard and ran bleacher steps so i just assumed we would be more physical. and now i read early on, again, we were not maximizing our efforts or something. i believe an auburn player made the comment. so that is really strange to me. i figured the one thing hars did right was training. i gues not. anyone know or wonder what is going on?

All I know is that more often than not when there's a coaching change the statement "we weren't in the best physical condition, this new coach is tougher" is something that's commonly heard. It can't always be true.

• Like 5

I'm not a coach or a physical training guru. I do know a young man that is about to graduate from AU to be a PT guru. He says that there are many theories about what is the best training for different position groups, and every Strength and Conditioning coach thinks his way is the correct way. What I wonder about is the mental aspect of training and if it is as important as the physical. I think Saban and Kirby (Dabo?) have figured this out and really work as hard on the mental as they do the physical. That's why as much as I might dislike Saban as a human, he fascinates me as a coach. Not for the Xs and Os but how he gets the buy in from prima donna HS athletes on the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I'm not a coach or a physical training guru. I do know a young man that is about to graduate from AU to be a PT guru. He says that there are many theories about what is the best training for different position groups, and every Strength and Conditioning coach thinks his way is the correct way. What I wonder about is the mental aspect of training and if it is as important as the physical. I think Saban and Kirby (Dabo?) have figured this out and really work as hard on the mental as they do the physical. That's why as much as I might dislike Saban as a human, he fascinates me as a coach. Not for the Xs and Os but how he gets the buy in from prima donna HS athletes on the team. 

Agree.  He's hired sports psychologists for a long time for the mental aspect.  He understands the importance of getting everything out of players and will quickly adapt and adjust to any rules.  There's many reasons he's the greatest ever

Auburn signee JC Hart could move from cornerback to wide receiver

Jeffrey Leeabout 3 hours
  Auburn defensive back commit, Jacorious "JC" Hart (Photo Credit: Jeffrey Lee On3)

Jacorious "JC" Hart in December signed with Auburn as a cornerback, but will report to the Tigers' campus in June as a wide receiver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:57 AM, passthebiscuits said:

PTB I look forward to your posts. I have to say I am almost always wearing my Orange & Blue glasses.

Having said that, I am encouraged by your enthusiasm. There has been such an upgrade in overall team composition and coaching that at least we may reach our potential.

How much potential exists still hinges on our moving target of the QB position and coaches.

We all know that is not new news. Just wanted to comment.

• Love 1