Spring Practice Updates…

toddc

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Gonna be much better on the OL.

I agree but you need to remember we couldn't get much worst..................never in my life,  and that's a long damn time, have I seen the lack of blocking skills

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I agree but you need to remember we couldn't get much worst..................never in my life,  and that's a long damn time, have I seen the lack of blocking skills

I do try so very hard to look at things logically. I tend to fail when it comes to Auburn and more likely than not tend to think higher of them than they are. That being said, If Auburn can win 5 games with as bad of an offensive line as Auburn has had, you have to think that Auburn can win 2-3 more with an upgrade. I get that Harsin was bad but Auburn built leads in games only to have them squandered away.

Look at the loses and where the teams stand today while Auburn should be better.

• LSU(21-17)- At the very least, LSU gets a slight bump. They should be better due to being in year two. 
  • UGA(42-10)- I do not think Auburn improves enough to beat UGA. Even with a new starting QB for them. Auburn will compete though. 
  • Ole Miss(48-34)- Ole Miss should be worse but only slightly. Auburn being much better should win but it is hard to tell with Kiffen's portal success.
  • Miss St(39-33)- They will not have Leach's(RIP) offense. Teams always get worse after he leaves. 
  • Arkansas(41-27)- Arkansas loses both coordinators. They are marginally worse. 
  • Alabama(49-27)- Even with a new QB their talent is a lot to overtake. I do think Auburn will compete though. 
  • Penn State(41-12)- Drops off schedule. Doesn't matter for 2023. Picks up Cal. If history is an indication, Auburn loses to Cal. 

Look at the wins now minus the filler games.

• Missouri(17-14)- Swapped out with Vandy. Doesn't matter but should be a win. Vandy always seems to beat Auburn though so who knows. 
  • TAMU(13-10)- TAMU will be marginally better. Petrino is many things both bad and good. One of the good things is a being an offensive coordinator. I can only hope that his propensity to have bad blocking assignments continue. I'm not seeing it as an Auburn win without seeing how much better Auburn gets. 

TL;DR: Auburn should end up with 7-8 wins. If they improve drastically in the QB department they can get to 9 wins. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I do try so very hard to look at things logically. I tend to fail when it comes to Auburn and more likely than not tend to think higher of them than they are. That being said, If Auburn can win 5 games with as bad of an offensive line as Auburn has had, you have to think that Auburn can win 2-3 more with an upgrade. I get that Harsin was bad but Auburn built leads in games only to have them squandered away.

Look at the wins now minus the filler games.

• Missouri(17-14)- Swapped out with Vandy. Doesn't matter but should be a win. Vandy always seems to beat Auburn though so who knows. 
  •  

Auburn is 14-2 against Vanderbilt since 1978

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Vandy got lucky to get Auburn in both 2008 and 2012.  I do like what the Vandy coach is doing and think they could be a little more competitive moving forward.  

16 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Being Auburn, we'll catch both traditionally dreadful Cal & Vandy on what could be their best teams in a decade. 

With a backup QB we make into a Heisman contender

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

How Auburn football is incentivizing players for creating 'havoc'

AUBURN — Auburn football coach Hugh Freeze told reporters in January that the weeks leading up to spring practice would be stressful for his new staff.

The 53-year-old explained the turnaround from recruiting players in the first few months of the staff's arrival to Auburn to installing the offense and defense would be a quick one. He conceded he and his assistants wouldn't get it all done, but did say the Tigers "better get good at something."

With the first week of spring practice in the rear-view mirror, the coaches have begun introducing the scheme to the team. But it's been a slow process.

SPRING PRACTICE:Auburn football players with the most to gain in Hugh Freeze's first spring practice

OWEN PAPPOE:Watch former Auburn football LB Owen Pappoe run a 4.39 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine

"They made it as easy as possible," senior defensive lineman Marcus Harris said. "They try not to put all the stuff on us at one time. They try to spread it out throughout time. They're just great people. Like, all the coaches are great people. I've never met a coaching staff like this before. Everybody is genuine, and you can tell they care about you, on and off the field.

"This coaching staff's transition has been easy because they embraced us, and they're letting us know that they care about us even though they're new coaches and don't know a lot of players. They still care about us."

Junior defensive back Keionte Scott echoed similar sentiments Wednesday: "The coaches have done a good job of giving us little by little, enough for us to catch up on. ... There are a lot of coaches and GA’s that help out with stuff like that. Our coaches have told us that if we want to get something extra or if we’re struggling with something, just to come up and be with them."

Harris, who is entering his third year with the program after transferring in from Kansas in 2021, said new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts hasn't yet shared exactly what the defensive front will look like in 2023. The Montgomery native explained that the defense has been practicing in both 3-4 and 4-3 formations.

"Coach Roberts is a multiple defense type dude," Harris said. "We're preparing for both defenses right now. I really don't know which one he's going to like most."

Roberts explained in an availability last month that it's important to create "havoc" in his defenses. That's not just a word he throws around but rather a stat he keeps. Whether it's a sack, an interception, a pass breakup or anything of that nature, it's recorded as havoc.

The goal is to create havoc on at least 20% of plays.

"It's exciting having a defensive coordinator like that," Harris said. "He told us a little bit about it. I don't know the exact numbers or anything like that, but they said they're going to keep track of sacks and turnovers this spring and whoever − they're going to give out T-shirts and gifts to people who create turnovers and negative plays and stuff like that."

Auburn isn't practicing this week because of spring break, but the Tigers return to the field next Monday for their fourth practice of the spring. Freeze said Tuesday the team will likely have its first scrimmage at practice No. 6, which is scheduled for March 17.

And it'll be an opportunity for Harris to create some havoc in exchange for a T-shirt or two.

"His defense is pretty simple, but it's for us to know," Harris said of Roberts. "He's trying not to make things harder than it's got to be."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.e5bb2cf9bb364e8a57ccde3000cd9ac8.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, toddc said:

image.thumb.png.e5bb2cf9bb364e8a57ccde3000cd9ac8.png

I missed tempo football. Offset the big uglies from Bama and UGA

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 6:52 PM, augolf1716 said:

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

We want to play with such tempo that we have to be in shape for it...

We want to win, we have to score more points than our opponents...

Water is wet...

captain-obvious.gif

• Haha 4

The speed of this play, albeit in shorts and helmets, is crazy.

• Like 4

On 3/6/2023 at 6:52 PM, augolf1716 said:

what did moses think about our O line? grins.........

32 minutes ago, toddc said:

I feel like I’ve seen this tempo across the nation, so it wasn’t anything particularly amazing lol but I am very happy we are getting back to this pace.

• Like 3

I don't think it matters at this time if TJ is practicing with the ones. From what Freeze has stated that all the QB's will practice with the ones some and there are no for sure ones.  I think there are a few exceptions of people you can count on as ones. Like Hunter at RB, a few of the transfer O-Line and probably some of the better more experienced DB's. 

With Freeze I don't think when he says we are evaluating all players and  all positions will battle to be starter that it is the normal coach speak. I am sure he and his fellow coaches have looked at game film and have some ideas but I really believe that spring and beginning of fall is when he will be able to say who are the ones and who are the backups. Also some positions like D-line I believe you will have ones but there will be so much rotating to keep players fresh that being a one or two is more semantics then reality.  May be other positions with a lot of rotating in and out with possible exception of O-line as they really need to work as a unit. Even in O-Line in some of the easier games before SEC starts you might see some mixing and matching rather then having two seperate lines.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Kickoff time, TV set for Auburn's first spring game under Hugh Freeze

83 minutes ago

Auburn's first spring game under Hugh Freeze is fully locked in.

With the Tigers' spring practices culminating with the annual A-Day game April 8, the SEC announced Monday afternoon that kickoff for the glorified scrimmage inside Jordan-Hare Stadium is set for 1 p.m. CST, streaming on ESPN+ and SEC Network+.

Auburn began spring practices Feb. 27 before taking a week off last week during the university's spring break. The Tigers returned to work at their new, $92 million facility Monday afternoon.

It's unclear whether he'll implement it, but Freeze offered a new format for Auburn's spring game a couple weeks ago — one that pits true offense-versus-defense, with a clear score goal for the offense to strive for, and the defense to attempt to prevent it.

"You walk in the stadium and on the scoreboard is defense 24, offense 0," Freeze said after Auburn's first spring practice late last month."And offense, your job is to score more than 24 and win. And defense, hold them to under 24 and win. That's the most, probably, creative and exciting and competitive."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What Hugh Freeze said as Auburn football returns to practice after spring break

Justin Hokanson•about 4 hours

Hugh Freeze (Photo by Auburn Athletics)

AUBURN — Auburn practiced three times to start spring camp, then took spring break. On Monday, the team returned to practice to kick things into high gear all leading into A-Day on April 8 at 1 p.m. CT inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Here are the high points from Freeze’s meeting with the media on Monday:

— “There were some good things and some not so good things,” Freeze says of the QBs through three practices. He’s reluctant to say too much with such little time to evaluate, but likes their overall approach.

— Friday’s scrimmage will be situational, not “all out.” He adds, “we’re not ready yet to all out scrimmage. We’ll certainly not ready to tackle our tailbacks, yet.”

— “Alignment, assignment and effort” are Freeze’s main focus points this week.

— On the offensive line: “I was pleased with the O-Line during the first few practices. … I think we improved ourself for sure. They are a group you can depend on each week to bring it at practice.” Freeze mentioned Izavion Miller, Gunner Britton, Avery Jones, Tate Johnson by name, saying Johnson has been an incredible leader. “There’s an expectation that we’re tryin to set and he’s trying to drive that train. Wearing Auburn on his chest means something.”

RELATED: WHERE TATE JOHNSON FITS INTO JAKE THORNTON’S PLANS

— “Loved our attitude and approach” during the first week of practice, Freeze said. He wants better execution of the installs, “we have a long way to go.”

— Freeze doesn’t plan on adding anything new on Monday, looking for retention after a week off.

— “The return meeting on Sunday night” was as good as I’ve seen in terms of players not being late after a week off.

— “I let the entire staff off for spring break. A normal year, you would hope the dead period in February would give you a breather.” Freeze talked about the schedules being wild and crazy since they arrived, so he made sure the staff had time off this week and didn’t stick around. “I think everybody needed a break.”

— Freeze said his favorite vacation would be put some time in at the office, play some golf and sleep in his bed. “I’m not a big travel person.” Freeze did go to Florida to play in a golf tournament with Gus Malzahn.

— Freeze on the proposed new NCAA rules around clock stoppages, etc: “I really don’t know. Our game is, I think, as exciting as any sport that’s out there. I hate to see us tinker with too many rules. I’m being told that’s going to eliminate 6-8 plays per game possibly. It shouldn’t effect it terribly. I’ve always been the one saying we should try and protect in length of games is the people in the stadium. … I don’t have an opinion yet, I will after the season.”

— On SEC realignment: “I’m of the makeup that if I can’t control it, it’s probably not me worrying about. I have zero control. I trust John Cohen and Dr. Roberts. They are sitting in those meetings and they’ll do what’s best for Auburn University.” He says everyone knows they’ll have a tough schedule, so “complaining” about it isn’t going to help him prepare for it.

— “Every year it’s different. I’d assume, whatever format they give us, we’ll have a couple of tough draws. It is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Auburn cornerback Kayin Lee 'wants to be great' according to Wesley McGriff

On3 image Photo by Chad Simmons/On3

AUBURN — When it was all said and done, Cedar Grove, Ga. cornerback Kayin Lee was the second-highest ranked prospect in Auburn’s most recent signing class. Lee ranked No. 126 overall in the On3 Sports Consensus rankings, trailing only top-100 prospect Keldric Faulk in the Tigers’ signing class.

Lee didn’t commit to Auburn until December 21, flipping from a previous pledge to Ohio State. And while Auburn’s defensive back class returns a veteran group of players like Nehemiah Pritchett, Jaylin Simpson, Donovan Kaufman, Keionte Scott and Zion Puckett, Lee is doing his part to try and work himself onto the field this fall.

“Kayin Lee is doing a great job. He’s in spring ball making plays,” McGriff said. “The thing that’s most impressive about him, we know he’s talented, but off the field. He will not leave the building if he doesn’t understand the coverage. He’ll knock on the door and say, ‘coach, I don’t understand this coverage.’ He has his notebook and as soon as he sits down, he pulls it out and starts taking notes.”

Not all freshmen share those personality traits, but Kayin Lee apparently does.

“He wants to be great,” McGriff said. “He has the attitude and demeanor to be great. You can see it translate over to the field. He’s making plays and has confidence. The biggest thing is, don’t put too much on his plate. He’s doing great. He will have an impact on this team and this program.”

Auburn is hoping that impact happens sooner rather than later.

“We know we’re counting on him,” defensive backs coach Zac Etheridge said. “For him to learn the playbook a semester early — for him, it’s new. It’s a fast-paced practice. He’s learning on the fly. He’s been good at coming up and spending extra time in the film room.  For him, he’s going to be a part of our defense that we’re counted on. He’s learning and eager to learn. This team is counting on him.”

The On3 Sports Scouting Analysis says this of Lee:

Highly instinctive cornerback who is one of the more productive and accomplished defensive prospects in the state of Georgia. Has some of the best ball production among defensive backs in the 2023 cycle. Picked off seven passes while helping his team to a state title as a junior. A savvy, instinctive corner who reads quarterbacks and breaks on the ball. Capable of recognizing route patterns. Freelances off of his man to make plays. Has a thinner frame at around 5-foot-11, 170 pounds, but plays above his weight as a run and cover down defender. Strikes and drives through ball carriers. Lacks some high-end measurable for the position with a thinner build and solid, but not great athleticism for the position.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 8:26 AM, toddc said:

I’ve thought quietly to myself for a bit now that Hunter could really be better than Tank for Auburn.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’ve thought quietly to myself for a bit now that Hunter could really be better than Tank for Auburn.

Really? Because I thought this loudly several times. I don't know if "better" is right for me. You cannot take away from Tank's ability to maintain leverage even when the opponents are multiple. He very much made yards after the first contact. I question tank's vision and ability to get through certain holes, which Hunter seems to welcome when he runs. Another thing that drove me crazy about Tank is he bounced things out a lot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

Really? Because I thought this loudly several times. I don't know if "better" is right for me. You cannot take away from Tank's ability to maintain leverage even when the opponents are multiple. He very much made yards after the first contact. I question tank's vision and ability to get through certain holes, which Hunter seems to welcome when he runs. Another thing that drove me crazy about Tank is he bounced things out a lot.

I think Hunter might have more tools in his abilities to get yards, but I loved Tank and don’t believe we got to see how good he could be with the right Oline.

• Like 6