Meanest player at Auburn?

aubiefifty

4 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

You must be an ole Colbert County fella 

Yep, all but 18 years in Lauderdale county in the Anderson area, Bethel community. Back in Colbert now for the last 26 years about a mile from where I was raised.

2 hours ago, cctiger said:

Yep, all but 18 years in Lauderdale county in the Anderson area, Bethel community. Back in Colbert now for the last 26 years about a mile from where I was raised.

I live in Lauderdale.  Been through Bethel many a time heading up to the state line on a Sunday evening before you could buy beer down here on Sundays.  Eaten a few times at the Fish Creel in Anderson.  Biggest frog legs I’ve ever seen!

• Like 1

There have been a lot of tough football players pass through Auburn over the years. In my case meanest means toughest on the field not dirtiest. Mike (Captain Krunch) Kolan has to be at the top or near the top. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There have been a lot of tough football players pass through Auburn over the years. In my case meanest means toughest on the field not dirtiest. Mike (Captain Krunch) Kolan has to be at the top or near the top. 

they say the sand box was not for the temid. i heard of players doing one on ones until they puked and played in it. when i remember all that i think it is safe to say in my old geezer eyes all our young men are badass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Play in and play out, Mike Kolen is still the hardest hitter I've seen at Auburn. As I noted above, I wouldn't call Kolen mean. Our definition of mean is very different. We've had a number of players who did some very mean things off the field as well as on the field. I'd call those guys mean. Kolen wasn't mean, he simply played hard but clean.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I live in Lauderdale.  Been through Bethel many a time heading up to the state line on a Sunday evening before you could buy beer down here on Sundays.  Eaten a few times at the Fish Creel in Anderson.  Biggest frog legs I’ve ever seen!

They had some of the best catfish and hushpuppies back in the day also. Haven't eaten there in several years though.

• Like 1

ok i always thought golf played at auburn and just keeps his real name private. now he said bo jackson was scared of him so why is he not on the list or at least get honorable mention? hell maybe he played golf but i thought he played football as well. i am sure someone will correct me.

Edited by aubiefifty
typo

2 hours ago, cctiger said:

They had some of the best catfish and hushpuppies back in the day also. Haven't eaten there in several years though.

They definitely do.  It’s just kind of a matter of convenience.  Newbern’s is a must shorter drive for me and it’s dang good too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butthead said:

I witnessed Kurt Crain bust a long neck or two against some kids heads for cutting the pool table line at the Club.

I heard Benji Roland could get pretty rowdy too.  He actually threatened to fight Coach Wayne Hall in practice 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, aubiefifty said:

Who was the meanest S.O.B. to ever play for auburn football? and if it is close should we ad a top three? golf i bet you know quite a lot about this. i thought it might be a fun topic before things heat up again. i was shocked some guys said jeff burger was one of the meanest.qb's to ever play at auburn so i am curious. i know most Auburn players are badass in our hearts but do we have enough players that could kick yo behind on the field or off?

Tom Banks 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:55 PM, WarEagle1982 said:

I heard Benji Roland could get pretty rowdy too.  He actually threatened to fight Coach Wayne Hall in practice 

Benji kept it under control better than Curt. Curt was always ready to fight someone. I avoided him off the field. He was not a fan of the scout team crackback blocks.

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2023 at 11:26 AM, augolf1716 said:

The Muscle Shoals game was 69 I was hurt and couldn't play in the game. Yep that broke our winning steak of 44 games and still haunts my best friend to this day who fumbled to let them score the winning TD. He later went to Auburn on a Football scholarship.

And yes the stadium is like a small college and  was packed for games usually around 10,000 to 12,000 fans back then. We had some good teams

Kids from Russellville threw rocks at our bus after the game. That'd be 1981, we (Coffee) won, but they had a good team. Think they went to the semi-finals.

I didn't know all this about Gargis, but I went to every game in 1972 when Colbert County won the championship. I was just 7, so I don't remember all the road trips. That team, though, had Ozzie Newsome and Thad Flannigan. (My Mom taught there.)

Played against Crain. Rough night for us. I snapped a punt over our punter's head for a TD, and I was pissed. Next time we punted, he was returning, and I had a clean shot at him as the ball was coming down. I mean, his soul was about to leave his body. He panicked and dropped the ball. I got it on one bounce at about their 33, nothing but green grass in front of me. (Some of you know the problem already.) I only made it 12 yards: he tracked me down and absolutely destroyed me. Could barely breathe. And of course, the ref started walking the ball back to where I picked it up.

But seriously, in high school, he was no Wes Neighbors. Sheesh.

Edited by DyeCampAlum
added comment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tonerudez said:

I live in Lauderdale.  Been through Bethel many a time heading up to the state line on a Sunday evening before you could buy beer down here on Sundays.  panoramacharter.ltd

I’m in limestone county and we went to the Stateline Store and Lounge drive thru. 😝 

5 hours ago, toddc said:

I’m in limestone county and we went to the Stateline Store and Lounge drive thru. 😝 

😂😂.  We bought it when we were 19 (shhhhhh) from G.W.’s on the right just after you cross the state line.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, DyeCampAlum said:

Kids from Russellville threw rocks at our bus after the game. That'd be 1981, we (Coffee) won, but they had a good team. Think they went to the semi-finals.

I didn't know all this about Gargis, but I went to every game in 1972 when Colbert County won the championship. I was just 7, so I don't remember all the road trips. That team, though, had Ozzie Newsome and Thad Flannigan. (My Mom taught there.)

Played against Crain. Rough night for us. I snapped a punt over our punter's head for a TD, and I was pissed. Next time we punted, he was returning, and I had a clean shot at him as the ball was coming down. I mean, his soul was about to leave his body. He panicked and dropped the ball. I got it on one bounce at about their 33, nothing but green grass in front of me. (Some of you know the problem already.) I only made it 12 yards: he tracked me down and absolutely destroyed me. Could barely breathe. And of course, the ref started walking the ball back to where I picked it up.

But seriously, in high school, he was no Wes Neighbors. Sheesh.

My wife and her whole family are Coffee grads.  Goes all the way back to the 1940s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

My wife and her whole family are Coffee grads.  Goes all the way back to the 1940s.

Wow........ Coffee Yellow Jackets if I remember correctly

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 3:38 AM, tonerudez said:

David Langner was the hardest hitter and the toughest.  Mike Flynn was the meanest.  

Langner was tough. Heard Coach Jordan say more than once that Terry Henley was “mean as hell on a football field”.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

😂😂.  We bought it when we were 19 (shhhhhh) from G.W.’s on the right just after you cross the state line.

We were getting it at 16-17 but the legal age was 18 in Tennessee back then.

9 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Yes.  Yellow Jackets.  Collis Campbell came out of there.

Yeah I remember Collis a hell of a running back. We had some good games against them in the 60's