2023 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

On 5/7/2023 at 5:50 AM, bigbird said:

How far out the limb he wants to climb

Bummer, I was hoping he'd climb out for Cleveland......I think he's the kind of player that could elevate our decent team into the Sweet 16, but maybe the price was too high. 

But there is still time and a player or two that can help. I guess we'll see. At least we have the Barbee years as a fall back on because remembering those years takes the sting away from almost anything CBP decides.  

Also I get the feeling that Cleveland and Tyson are a bit too tall for CBP's guard/wing rotation. If they were 4-6 inches shorter, it would have been a lock. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Glad he can say he is an AU grad (congrats to the young man for that sincerely) and equally glad he has moved on. Best for all I think. 

• Like 2

i got two of allens rookie cards for sale. autographed too. cheap.

2 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Tyson to Cal. Down to Lawrence. No pressure. 

Thankfully it wasn’t Kansas or everyone else would be playing for #2 at this rate 

I think someone from this board could get a few minutes for us

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

This is terrific news.  Past time for him to go and take is constant turnovers with him.  Athletic as hell player just not very good, IMO.

1 hour ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

We reached out already to Marshall shooting guard who went into portal at 5pm today. Big time scorer with similar measureablea to Lawrence.

At this point, just start throwing up shots tbh. Don't love the FG %age, but I don't know the context of where it came from (e.g. he could be the #1 option on a team with few scorers and had to put up tough shots). 

9 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Tyson to Cal. Down to Lawrence. No pressure. 

Pearl with the colossal F' up if Lawrence goes anywhere but the good guys. 

• Like 2

I agree.  We heard repeatedly Cleveland wasnt our top choice, but someone would be hitting the portal soon. Lawrence visits and appears to be a lock with a commitment imminent. Then things go radio silent and find out he is going to the G-league combine(Which is fine and dont blame him for).

However, over the weekend the UGA talk starts and thats where it really starts to irritate me. We have to pony up and lock him up(assuming he doesnt get invited to the NBA combine) or we are in for a long mediocre season. We let too many quality small forwards slip thru our fingers only to be played.

• Like 1

To be completely transparent, I honestly think they just slot Denver down to 3 whenever needed and run either Tre/KD at the 2. Not something they can run too much obviously, but Denver has the exact same frame as Lawrence, as well as Doughty who played 3 for Pearl before. 

I wouldn’t expect that lineup very often, but if they need offense, they do have the option 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

To be completely transparent, I honestly think they just slot Denver down to 3 whenever needed and run either Tre/KD at the 2. Not something they can run too much obviously, but Denver has the exact same frame as Lawrence, as well as Doughty who played 3 for Pearl before. 

I wouldn’t expect that lineup very often, but if they need offense, they do have the option 

Yeah, that would take care of our height disadvantage. 😎. You left that one hanging out there a bit too easy. 😀

Everyone loved Flanigan when he was putting up numbers a few years ago, but even when wasn't a lead scorer for us and fans soured on him, he was one of the few athletic guys that could do a lot of the little things including guard other wings and rebound at the 3. I also like CMoore, but if he doesn't get much better next year and we miss on a starting SF, then it's going to be a tough year. Long & athletic guards and wings have been killing us the last 2 years. 

edit: Lawrence looks great and I doubt he goes Pro since there is so much competition at his height, but he sounds more like a great shooting guard and less like a 3-D wing that can also rebound and guard taller players, but perhaps I'm wrong. 

Edited by HAPvsOA

17 hours ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

We reached out already to Marshall shooting guard who went into portal at 5pm today. Big time scorer with similar measureablea to Lawrence.

Funny his last name is Taylor as he looks like Opie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TIGERINATLANTA said:

I agree.  We heard repeatedly Cleveland wasnt our top choice, but someone would be hitting the portal soon. Lawrence visits and appears to be a lock with a commitment imminent. Then things go radio silent and find out he is going to the G-league combine(Which is fine and dont blame him for).

However, over the weekend the UGA talk starts and thats where it really starts to irritate me. We have to pony up and lock him up(assuming he doesnt get invited to the NBA combine) or we are in for a long mediocre season. We let too many quality small forwards slip thru our fingers only to be played.

While we can't expect Bruce to know the future (that Lawrence would essentially pause his recruitment for a combine), I believe he played this one wrong. Once that happens, you go all in on Cleveland and push hard. Word was even as late as the day of Cleveland's commitment that we still had a chance.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Yeah, that would take care of our height disadvantage. 😎. You left that one hanging out there a bit too easy. 😀

Everyone loved Flanigan when he was putting up numbers a few years ago, but even when wasn't a lead scorer for us and fans soured on him, he was one of the few athletic guys that could do a lot of the little things including guard other wings and rebound at the 3. I also like CMoore, but if he doesn't get much better next year and we miss on a starting SF, then it's going to be a tough year. Long & athletic guards and wings have been killing us the last 2 years. 

edit: Lawrence looks great and I doubt he goes Pro since there is so much competition at his height, but he sounds more like a great shooting guard and less like a 3-D wing that can also rebound and guard taller players, but perhaps I'm wrong. 

I just try to avoid re-hashing my talking points, as I understand no one wants to see the same posts from me over and over. 

but yes frame wise, Lawrence really doesn’t answer many questions that were left by the previous core of guards/wings. CBP has forgotten more basketball than I’ll ever know, but it’s mind boggling that our most small forward resources have been dedicated towards a 6’4 2 guard, months removed after Houston guards just shot over our guys like they weren’t there. I won’t beat the drum again anymore than that 

I only suggested the thing with Jones bc I figured there might’ve been a few people who weren’t aware that he was basically the exact same frame as the guy we want to be a SF option now (I certainly didn’t think it was as close as it was). Theoretically, we already have a SF option if this is the type of guy Pearl and Co want 

• Like 1

Just saying this ahead of time, I don’t think being undersized is necessarily a killer for us - you just need to have some schematic plan to account for that. 

In Harper’s core, we were pretty good at creating pace (taking adv of quickness), had a bevy of long, athletic forwards that could account for the lack of height, and some great rim protection. It’s almost Miami-esque with how well crafted that roster was around the guards 

I don’t know if even half of that level of thought went into the construction of the roster of the last few years, honestly. I can see what they wanted to do this season between the commits we have and some of the guys we narrowly whiffed on, even though whiffing on Lawrence may significantly hamper those ideas. They want quicker, multiple ball handlers in at every moment, and to force more turnovers from the guards to try to create pace. That giant center from Marshall also was a hell of a rim runner and lob threat that would’ve been great for pace 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just saying this ahead of time, I don’t think being undersized is necessarily a killer for us - you just need to have some schematic plan to account for that. 

In Harper’s core, we were pretty good at creating pace (taking adv of quickness), had a bevy of long, athletic forwards that could account for the lack of height, and some great rim protection. It’s almost Miami-esque with how well crafted that roster was around the guards 

I don’t know if even half of that level of thought went into the construction of the roster of the last few years, honestly. I can see what they wanted to do this season between the commits we have and some of the guys we narrowly whiffed on, even though whiffing on Lawrence may significantly hamper those ideas. They want quicker, multiple ball handlers in at every moment, and to force more turnovers from the guards to try to create pace. That giant center from Marshall also was a hell of a rim runner and lob threat that would’ve been great for pace 

agreed. and obviously we are going for more shooting to compliment Broome down low. I'm excited about Aden and the other additions. I just think we're an athletic wing away. The Texas Tech transfer was probably the best fit with his shooting and D, but I think Cleveland was a close second.

Maybe Lawrence will surprise me and bring sufficient defense to offset his lack of height. Or perhaps we're going after Holland or Mgbako to play the 3. or Julian Phillips out of the portal if he withdraws from the draft. Wouldn't that be something. 😅

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

you go all in on Cleveland and push hard. Word was even as late as the day of Cleveland's commitment that we still had a chance.

Again, some have reported Cleveland was a take. If they are correct that means we were pushing even if we had a target higher on our board.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Maybe Lawrence will surprise me and bring sufficient defense to offset his lack of height.

@HAPvsOA He's considered to be a very good defender.

• Thanks 1

Come home young man, although I’m not sure what he did at Tennessee last year. 8.3 points/game and a few good games 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2