2023 4* UAH Transfer Forward Chaney Johnson Commits To AU!

AU Is Gold

247sports.com

UAH forward Chaney Johnson is a Tiger: 'Auburn is the place for me'

Jason Caldwell
~3 minutes

Chaney Johnson is going up a level, but he's not going far.

The former UAH stretch-four announced his commitment to Auburn during a visit. Johnson played high school basketball at Thompson (Ala.) and is originally from Alabaster, Alabama.

The biggest change for Johnson is going to be changing his rooting interest. Growing up an Alabama fan in a family that is filled with Auburn fans that live just up 280 from Auburn in Alexander City, he said it's definitely going to be something he'll have to get used to but he's ready for the opportunity on the Plains.

"Coach (Bruce) Pearl tried to get me to say War Eagle and I couldn't say it, even after I committed," Johnson said. "I'll get used to it eventually."

Playing D-II basketball at UAH, Johnson was named the Gulf South Conference Player of the Year and has been dominant at UAH. This past season, Johnson averaged 15.9 points and upped his rebounding to 6.6 per game while making 75.9 percent of his free throw attempts. A 37 percent shooter from three-point range in his career, Johnson is very capable of playing multiple spots in Auburn's system and he can't wait. 

One of the reasons he's so excited is because of what it means to his family.

"I feel like Auburn is the place for me," he said. "It means a lot being a lot closer to my family and being a lot closer to my grandma in Alexander City. Going to school at UAH, I'm coming from the North to the South. To come see my grandma was a three and a half hour drive. Now I'm closer to be able to see her. I'm closer to a lot of my family and a lot of them on my mom's side are big Auburn fans."

Williams has one year of eligibility remaining and Johnson is expected to slot in behind him, replacing the role of former 5-star Yohan Traore who entered the portal. Johnson is listed at 6-foot-7 and 208 pounds, capable of playing as a stretch-four or a bigger three, if needed.

Johnson is Auburn's second transfer portal addition, joining former FIU guard Denver Jones, who is expected to slot in as the starting shooting guard.

34COMMENTS

The new Auburn addition has two years of eligibility remaining and he said he's ready to get to work.

"I'm working on all aspects of my game," Johnson said. "I feel like I'm a decently balanced basketball player. I can do everything well, but I don't specialize in anything. It's just finding things that Coach Pearl and coach Steven Pearl think I need to work on. Just trying up all my skills."

">247Sports

this is the only higlight reel of him i can find. anyone got anything? toddc you got anything my man?

asrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1466193605559787526%7Ctwgr%5E6ca1e4b4b47eaf51854386dfa7ca9bbb2fe2e5a8%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.saturdaydownsouth.com%2Fauburn-football%2Fchaney-johnson-alabama-huntsville-transfer-announces-sec-commitment%2F

i hate twitter dang it! i treid to delete one of the tweets. it disappeared and when i posted it was back with a vengeance. i need a puter class bad.

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 4* UAH Transfer Forward Chaney Johnson Commits To AU!
  • ellitor featured and pinned this topic

This is the 6-7 versatile athlete defensive presence I had mentioned that we would be going after.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 1

My first trophy earned.  What a day 🥹 I would like to thank god and aufamily for being where I am today 

Edited by Lotto
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lotto said:

My first trophy earned.  What a day 🥹 I would like to thank god and aufamily for being where I am today 

Congrats Lotto. Now #HeelTurn

Best Aj Styles Heel Turn GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Congrats Lotto. Now #HeelTurn

Best Aj Styles Heel Turn GIFs | Gfycat

triple-h-shawn-michaels.gif

• Love 1

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

This is the 6-7 versatile athlete defensive presence I had mentioned that we would be going after.

Face palm that for what? Lol. Some people on here are a trip

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Face palm that for what? Lol. Some people on here are a trip

I was coming here to say the same thing? 

I mean...it would be one thing if you was like " we going to be adding a good player.." and give no specifics, but if you said that we would be pursuing a 6-7 yada yada then I don't get the facepalm.

Is he more likely to start at the 3 or be backup at 3 and 4 with the starting 3 yet to be named?

I would think a backup. My daughter plays in the GSC and I got to watch him at least twice in person this year. He is a good player, I’m just not sure I would say SEC quality. Hopefully Bruce can get more out of him. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I was coming here to say the same thing? 

I mean...it would be one thing if you was like " we going to be adding a good player.." and give no specifics, but if you said that we would be pursuing a 6-7 yada yada then I don't get the facepalm.

I don't remember where I put it but I was talking about not recruiting the same players, such as 3 shorter guards who think shoot first and not having the best handle.

I then said next thing on the agenda is getting a 6'7"-8" guy who can switch on screens and play 4 positions. I think I even put and preferably have a nice handle as well. 

Then lastly we need an uber athletic guy who can defend the rim. I'd prefer if they'd be a good rebounder as well but an amazing shot blocker is the most important. 

But it's cool, happy to see we are refilling the roster

• Like 3
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Is he more likely to start at the 3 or be backup at 3 and 4 with the starting 3 yet to be named?

@Rednilla More likely to make it a dog fight with Jaylin for PT at the 4 and get some work at the 3. And yes we are still looking for a starting 3.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Rednilla More likely to make it a dog fight with Jaylin for PT at the 4 and get some work at the 3. And yes we are still looking for a starting 3.

So at the moment, all we're looking for in basketball is a starting 3? Is Dylan likely to stick around, or is he likely transferring to Ole Miss and we'll need to find another backup center?

flywareagle.com

Bruce Pearl sends strong message on Auburn basketball transfer: ‘Perfect example of the great American dream’

Andrew Hughes
2–3 minutes

Bruce Pearl sent a strong message on the latest Auburn basketball transfer addition from the portal, Chaney Johnson out of UAH Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

Bruce Pearl sent a strong message on the latest Auburn basketball transfer addition from the portal, Chaney Johnson out of UAH Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

Auburn basketball head coach Bruce Pearl had a strong message regarding his latest transfer portal acquisition, Chaney Johnson — of whom the Tigers played during AU’s preseason exhibition matchup against UAH on November 2 in an 87-69 win.

“Chaney’s journey is the perfect example of the great American dream,” Pearl said. “He graduates from Thompson High School, goes to UAH to play for John Shulman, grows four inches, leads his team to a conference championship, becomes (conference) player of the year in three years, and now, has the opportunity to play at Auburn in the SEC. Chaney’s hard work, dedication, length and athleticism, have enabled him to become quite the talent. He will have the opportunity to impact our team right away. Auburn Basketball just got better.”

Johnson comes to the Tigers after rumors of Devan Cambridge’s return before the former Auburn basketball highlight machine chose to stay in the Pac-12 and join Oregon and amidst FSU transfer Matthew Cleveland’s decision. AU is in Cleveland’s Top 3 schools.

Chaney Johnson on Auburn basketball transfer decision

Johnson explained why he chose to play basketball in East Central Alabama, citing his family’s proximity to the Plains.

“I feel like Auburn is the place for me,” Johnson said. “It means a lot being a lot closer to my family and being a lot closer to my grandma in Alexander City. Going to school at UAH, I’m coming from the North to the South. To come see my grandma was a three and a half hour drive. Now I’m closer to be able to see her. I’m closer to a lot of my family and a lot of them on my mom’s side are big Auburn fans.”

Johnson then left Tiger fans with an exciting message on what’s next for the Alabaster native.

“I’m working on all aspects of my game,” Johnson said. “I feel like I’m a decently balanced basketball player. I can do everything well, but I don’t specialize in anything. It’s just finding things that Coach Pearl and coach Steven Pearl think I need to work on. Just trying up all my skills.”

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

all we're looking for in basketball is a starting 3?

Didn't say that. We are open to adding pieces at other spots if we like who enters the portal.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Is Dylan likely to stick around

That's the thought at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 3:34 PM, cole256 said:

I don't remember where I put it but I was talking about not recruiting the same players, such as 3 shorter guards who think shoot first and not having the best handle.

I then said next thing on the agenda is getting a 6'7"-8" guy who can switch on screens and play 4 positions. I think I even put and preferably have a nice handle as well. 

Then lastly we need an uber athletic guy who can defend the rim. I'd prefer if they'd be a good rebounder as well but an amazing shot blocker is the most important. 

But it's cool, happy to see we are refilling the roster

I misread the first post I responded to, but I still Agree no reason for facepalm. 

What Auburn's 2 transfer pickups have in common

6 hours ago

ATLANTA — Some of the top basketball talent from the state of Alabama has found its way to Auburn via the transfer portal.

The Tigers’ pair of transfer pickups thus far — Denver Jones and Chaney Johnson — will both play in their home state in the SEC next season. Jones, a high-octane scoring guard who played two seasons at FIU, played his high-school ball at Buckhorn in the Huntsville area. Johnson, a Birmingham native, played three seasons at Alabama-Huntsville on the Division-II level.

“They both share something in common: They’re Alabama kids that were both overlooked, and both got chips on their shoulders,” Bruce Pearl said Tuesday before an Auburn AMBUSH alumni event in Atlanta. “They’re both hungry. They both dreamed of someday being at a place like Auburn, and now it’s a reality for them. I’m just so excited about coaching guys who are going to be in the gym every night, who are grateful for the scholarship and for the opportunity.”

Pearl and his staff sought out an improved scoring punch in the backcourt, and they certainly landed one of the best available on the transfer market in that category. Jones, a 6-foot-4, high-volume shooter, blossomed as a sophomore at FIU last season, hanging 20.1 points on 14 shots per game.

For an Auburn team that’s struggled to shoot the 3-ball over the past few seasons, Jones adds a 37.1 percent clip from beyond the arc. 

Jones hails from a mid-major, but Conference USA featured plenty of high-level opposition last season. In addition to FAU making the Final Four, the league went a whopping 18-3 in postseason play across the three major tournaments (NCAA, NIT and CBI).

“I mean, look, Denver’s from the same league as Florida Atlantic,” Pearl said. “He was the (second) leading scorer in that league, and that’s a really good league, Conference USA, with Andy Kennedy at UAB, North Texas, Florida Atlantic and Florida International.”

A former standout at Thompson High School just a couple hours down the road from Auburn, Johnson looks to be one of the more intriguing roster pieces for the Tigers over the past few seasons. He was a true guard when he signed with UAH in 2020, then shot up to 6-foot-7 and moved into a power forward role for the Chargers.

“He’s 6-2 as a senior,” Pearl said. “He’s a good basketball player, but John Shulman gives him a shot at Division II — and he grows five inches. All of a sudden, he’s 6-7, and now he’s pretty good, really athletic — and has always been overlooked. We got a few guys on our roster that have been overlooked.”

A starter the past two seasons, Johnson was the Gulf South Conference Player of the Year for 2022-23 after scoring 15.9 points per game on 52 percent shooting as a redshirt sophomore. Johnson scored 14 points against Auburn in last year’s preseason exhibition game at Neville Arena.

“I think he'll compete at the 3 and the 4,” Pearl said. “He's big enough to play a little bit of an undersized 4. He's got real skill. He's got real athleticism. Look, he played against us last year when we played them and he played our 4-men even. And I think he's quick enough, and he's got enough skill that he could play some on the wing, so he'll play."

Between Jones, Johnson and “at least one, maybe two more” transfer additions — Florida State wing Matthew Clevelandcompleted an official visit to the Plains on Wednesday and is likely Pearl’s top overall target in the portal — Auburn hopes to produce a fourth All-SEC transfer in three seasons. 

Pearl could lose up to six players off his 2022-23 roster, but he’s shown a consistent ability to reload successfully in the transfer portal over the past few years of his tenure.

“We’ve had five transfers in the transfer portal since the portal was open,” Pearl said. “OK, three of them were all-conference players, one of them was the national (defensive) player of the year. So, we had Walker (Kessler), we had Johni (Broome)and Wendell (Green). The other two were Zep (Jasper) and K.D. (Johnson). All five had really good experiences and great careers at Auburn. It’s worked really well for us.”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Story reminds me of Mark's a little....I grew up with una being in the gsc and I also grew up playing against players of una and uah since I was in high school. I'm happy with this signing and I'll really be pulling for him.

All the basketball I've played all over....I'm biased but guys from Northwest Alabama area has just as much or more heart than anybody you'll find. 

Also when you find a guy who has a growth spurt like this guy, you have bounds of potential there. You have a big guard basically with small guard skills. This is how guys like Scottie pippen and Jimmy Butler are created. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• augolf1716 unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Auburn fan favorite dials up hype for incoming transfer

by Andrew Hughes 4 days ago

Auburn basketball fan favorite K.D. Johnson dialed up the hype for one of the Tigers' incoming transfers ahead of the 2023-24 season (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Auburn basketball fan favorite K.D. Johnsonhyped up incoming Alabama-Huntsville transfer Chaney Johnson on Twitter on June 26, claiming that the world doesn’t know how good the forward is on Johnson’s birthday.

Johnson was selected as Alabama’s Small College Athlete of the Year by the Alabama Sports Writers Association back on June 7 after averaging 16.8 points per game and being named first-team All-Gulf South Conference during the 2022-23 season. He’ll replace Allen Flanigan in the Tigers’ rotation. Bruce Pearl previously called Johnson the “perfect example of the American dream” after pulling from the portal to the Plains.

“The perfect example of the great American dream,” Pearl said (h/t AL.com). “He will have the opportunity to impact our team right away. Auburn Basketball just got better.”

Chaney Johnson to be ‘massive part’ of something special for Auburn basketball

Auburn Daily’s Andrew Stefaniak has full faith in Johnson working out for the Auburn basketball program, so much so that he claimed that the UAH transfer will be a “massive part” of something special during the 2023-24 season.

“Johnson’s three-point percentage was down last season, but he is a 37% career three-point shooter, so we know he can make them,” Stefaniak prefaced before saying, “He plays hard defense, can drive the ball, and throws it down with authority. Johnson’s ability to play multiple positions will help this Auburn basketball team and help him get plenty of minutes. Coach Pearl is building something special for the 2023-24 season, and Johnson will be a massive part of that.”

Johnson can fill an offensive void for Pearl’s team as a slasher and finisher in transition, though it’s unclear whether or not he’d be favored in the rotation over the more SEC-experienced Chris Moore at the 3. Starting or coming off the bench, Johnson is guaranteed to have a major role during his first opportunity under the brightest lights of college hoops.

• 1 month later...

• Like 3