Is Trump versus Biden a Sad Option

AuburnNTexas

As a country I would think both the Left and the Right could come up with better candidates for President. I think most people who have read my posts over the years know that I tend to be conservative but am willing to listen to other viewpoints. While I am a conservative on most issues there are some areas where I stray from the conservative viewpoint. Without going into discussions on Biden and Trump as we all have seen enough of both to already have our opinions on them and nothing, I can say would change those opinions.

We must be able to find better candidates in both Parties?

My question whether you are Independent, Republican, Democratic, or some other group who would you like to see run from either party?  Please name at least one person from each major party and why.

Democratic:

Sinema - while basically on the left she does seem to be willing to communicate and work both sides of the aisle.

Tester - more of a middle of the road Democrat

Republican:

Haley - Executive experience, foreign policy experience - strong conservative but proved in SC can work across the aisle.

Scott - A man who has worked his way up in the deep south has worked across the aisle on things like police reform - a strong conservative.

DeSantis - at one time my favorite because of how well he managed both economy and covid in Florida- But lately I see too much of Trump and Biden in him of trying to use executive office to make decisions that legislature should be making.

Please reply with at least one person in each Party? 

• Thanks 1

I agree Trump and Biden are both terrible candidates for various reasons.  On the Republican side I would like to see Tim Scott run on the Democratic side of things I think it would be interesting to have Senator Sinema run.   

Trump vs. Biden is a terrible option. We would be stuck with the least common denominator. That having been said, at least Trump isn't in mid-stage dementia.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

It is amazing that someone could attempt to overturn democracy in this country and still be considered a viable candidate for the country's highest office. 

And people wonder how democracies fall into autocracies???  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah, he's just late stage narcissist.

Indeed...full metastasis to multiple organs, prognosis terminal.

Biden needs watering every few days.

Trump-Biden was an awful choice 4 years ago ("would you like your eyes gouged out with a rusty spoon or a clean spoon?"), and would be exponentially worse now.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Trump-Biden was an awful choice 4 years ago ("would you like your eyes gouged out with a rusty spoon or a clean spoon?"), and would be exponentially worse now.

I will take a sharpened pencil. Hard to believe Trump is still a thing. Biden included.

9 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

It is amazing that someone could attempt to overturn democracy in this country and still be considered a viable candidate for the country's highest office. 

And people wonder how democracies fall into autocracies???  

A lot of people obviously do not feel he tried to overturn democracy. Never bought into Russia, Russia, either. 

• Facepalm 1

Among Democrats, I'd be excited to see Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer run. She has solid creds and a track record supporting liberal & centrist positions. But she has expressed no interest.

As for Republicans, it's really hard. I'd go for Cheney or maybe Romney, since both are centrist and unafraid of the MAGA horde.

19 minutes ago, AURex said:

Among Democrats, I'd be excited to see Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer run. She has solid creds and a track record supporting liberal & centrist positions. But she has expressed no interest.

As for Republicans, it's really hard. I'd go for Cheney or maybe Romney, since both are centrist and unafraid of the MAGA horde.

Cheney’s no centrist, but she at least believes in Democracy.

Of the likely Republicans, Hutchinson, Christie, Sununu and possibly Hurd aren’t nuts. That’s the bar these days.

I would like to see a Governor like Cooper, Beshear or Polis, but it looks like it’s Joe.

• Like 2

trump: Ambulatory Toxicity, Misogyny, Fraud, Conman, Amoral Businessman out for just himself, not enough intelligence to be able to write words by himself.

Biden: Barely Ambulatory Vegetative Being. Needs water, sunshine, cue cards (he can barely read and understand), and a ton of BS to survive.

At this point we could literally pick random names from the Party Rolls and get better candidates. OTOH, This is Ground Zero for why we need more parties involved in politics in America.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

It was a bad enough choice in 2016. Worse in 2020. We can't get decent folks to actually run for the office, much less get elected. Had Jerry Springer not just  passed away, it wouldn't have surprised me to see him on the next ballot at this point. We've reached full stupid.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

It was a bad enough choice in 2016. Worse in 2020. We can't get decent folks to actually run for the office, much less get elected. Had Jerry Springer not just  passed away, it wouldn't have surprised me to see him on the next ballot at this point. We've reached full stupid.

Jerry Was a former mayor.

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Jerry Was a former mayor.

So was Sonny Bono. Heck Schwarzenegger and Ventura were governors. Imagine those 4 on the ballot. 

8 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

So was Sonny Bono. Heck Schwarzenegger and Ventura were governors. Imagine those 4 on the ballot. 

It would be an upgrade considering our current state of affairs.

35 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I could live with Arnold at this point.

All part of the polarization. Both sides are so terrified of the other that they don't want to take any chances, so they go with a known quantity. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

A lot of people obviously do not feel he tried to overturn democracy. Never bought into Russia, Russia, either. 

A lot of people are afflicted with denial.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:33 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

As a country I would think both the Left and the Right could come up with better candidates for President. I think most people who have read my posts over the years know that I tend to be conservative but am willing to listen to other viewpoints. While I am a conservative on most issues there are some areas where I stray from the conservative viewpoint. Without going into discussions on Biden and Trump as we all have seen enough of both to already have our opinions on them and nothing, I can say would change those opinions.

We must be able to find better candidates in both Parties?

My question whether you are Independent, Republican, Democratic, or some other group who would you like to see run from either party?  Please name at least one person from each major party and why.

Democratic:

Sinema - while basically on the left she does seem to be willing to communicate and work both sides of the aisle.

Tester - more of a middle of the road Democrat

Republican:

Haley - Executive experience, foreign policy experience - strong conservative but proved in SC can work across the aisle.

Scott - A man who has worked his way up in the deep south has worked across the aisle on things like police reform - a strong conservative.

DeSantis - at one time my favorite because of how well he managed both economy and covid in Florida- But lately I see too much of Trump and Biden in him of trying to use executive office to make decisions that legislature should be making.

Please reply with at least one person in each Party? 

Republican -Chris Sununu - He doesn't do politics by division.  I may not agree with everthing he says, but I don't believe that he is a purely transactional politician that is in it for himself over country.

Democrat - Mitch Landrieu - Former New Orleans mayor and Lt. Gov of Louisiana. Moderate Democrat who can relate to people regardless of their background and knows how to find middle ground.

There are tons of others, however, the way we destroy people over inconsequential things and the way the current political divided goes after both the candidate and anyone they are related to or close to makes many  of the most qualified leaders not want to become part of the circus.

The best thing Biden has done is to return to a more traditional style of leadership.  This country is too complex to micro manage.  There will be mistakes, no matter who the President is, but we have to stand for something bigger than the letter next to a candidate. 

The deep South is now flush with candidates for local, state and federal offices that have one qualification, the letter next to their name on the ballot.  That is producing pathetic office holders and, frankly, we deserve it.  Someone like Marjorie Taylor Greene would have never been elected 25 years ago.

Edited by AU9377

14 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Does he respect our form of government?  If he did, he would have attended the last Presidential inauguration.  How does he get a pass for that? 

9 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Is it denial when people honestly believe? Not being snarky. Just asking. 

The truth could not be clearer for them to see.  Denial is the refusal to admit the truth or reality of something (such as a statement or charge).  Assuming someone isn't ignorant and incapable of processing available information, one would have to be in denial to believe the results of the last election were fraudulent in some way.

Part of the problem in this country is our willingness to excuse people based on unfounded belief.

Edited by AU9377