Ranking 2023 Portal Additions

Zeek

I am BORED at work and need something to do. Lists always make me happy and we now have a whopping EIGHTEEN additions from the portal this cycle. Let's take a look at the top 18 additions based on my opinion and projected impact. I like to go from

least-best (wouldn't call it worst because I like all of our additions) to best.

18. DeMario Tolan | 4* LB | LSU Transfer | 6'1" 203

• I liked him coming out of high school and he obviously has the potential to be higher on this list. Right now he doesn't seem to be cracking the rotation but we'll see what the summer holds. Played 12 games for LSU but only recorded 10 tackles.

17. Lawrence Johnson | 3* DL | Purdue Transfer | 6'3" 310

• Likely a rotational player at Nose Tackle unless Auburn goes into a heavy package. Academic All-Big Ten, started 13 games, 34 tackles, and 3.5 for a loss. While I don't think he starts he should see a lot of reps.

16. Elijah McAllister | 3* ED | Vanderbilt Transfer | 6'6" 265

• Three years in the SEC has a solid build and is a consistent player. His production hasn't been there yet and I believe he is a bit of a depth piece. I think he will take the next step at Auburn and be a valuable rotational player.

15. Jyaire Shorter | 4* WR | North Texas Transfer | 6'2" 218

• If he stays healthy I think he shoots up the board. However, he has had a series of nagging issues that are concerning. Auburn is hoping he can be the burner he was last year scoring on 48% of his catches. I am excited about this addition but cautious about how his play style translates to the SEC; route running is suspect.

14. Caleb Burton | 4* WR | Ohio State Transfer | 5'11" 169

• Same as above but with more potential. Burton was considered the best receiver coming out of high school at one point. A series of injuries have really ruined his progression and path. Here is to hoping he can stay healthy and reach the potential he had.

13. Brian Battie | 4* RB | USF Transfer | 5'8" 165

• 176 carries last year for 1,186 yards, and 8 touchdowns while averaging 6.7 yards per carry. Also had 14 receptions for 91 yards. Maybe I should be higher on him but he is really small for the SEC. I am a little cautious thinking of our lack of success with these smaller scatbacks but Freeze could shift that with his offense.

12. Nick Mardner | 3* WR | Cincinnati Transfer | 6'6" 215

• I have Nick higher than the other two receivers just because of what he brings to the team. He has been in college since 2018, had a 913 yards season, and his massive size makes him a tool too good to pass up. There are some concerns with him catching the ball with his body too much but I think there is a lot of upside. Plus he is Canadian which is unique.

11. Austin Keys | 3* LB | Ole Miss Transfer | 6'2" 245

• Two years of SEC experience and a very thick frame. He might actually be a player that you thin down if it means a little more speed and fluidity. 39 tackles last year, two sacks, and 1 forced fumble last season. Auburn is very weak at the linebacker position before the portal additions. We don't need Keys to be great just serviceable. I believe he starts for us.

10. Mosiah Nasili-Kite | 4* DL | Maryland Transfer | 6'2" 310

• His production has been okay. 2020 he had 18 tackles and four sacks, 2021 he had 37 tackles and four sacks, 2022 26 tackles and 1 sack with a fumble recovery too. Reports have been really positive about his performance so far and there is some thought he might start.

9. Jalen McLeod | 3* ED | Appalachian State Transfer | 6'1" 230

• 2022 he had 40 tackles, 6 sacks, and 1 fumble recovery. McLeod absolutely feasted against Texas A&M last year. Despite his smaller size (truly he is smaller than Keys who is an off-ball linebacker), he has the tools to be a solid pass rusher for Auburn. I expect him to be our starting "Jack" as of now.

8. Rivaldo Fairweather | 4* TE | FIU Transfer | 6'5" 245

• There is a lot of potential in Fairweather and the staff has loved what he has shown so far. However, I wonder why he didn't have more production against the teams FIU plays. After three years at FIU he had a combined 54 receptions, 838 receiving yards, and just 4 touchdowns. Auburn will need him to put up much better numbers for this offense to be productive. Can he make the leap despite playing better competition? We'll see.

7. Jaden Muskrat | 3* IOL | Tulsa Transfer | 6'3" 307

• There is some talk that he isn't a guaranteed starter but I think he takes one of the guard spots. Additionally, there are some thoughts he could be a tackle but I don't see that at his height/length. He has battled through a number of injuries though so it'll be a matter of if he can remain on the field. He is ranked this high because of how desperate we have needed more depth and talent on the line.

6. Justin Rogers | 4* NT | Kentucky Transfer | 6'3" 332

• Started 12 games last year racking up 33 tackles with one sack. He isn't a guy that will rack up a lot of stats (not really the point of his position) but he is an absolute space eater. I expect him to be a solid anchor against the run for Auburn and he will make life easier for Auburn's linebackers.

5. Larry Nixon III | 3* LB | North Texas Transfer | 6'2" 236

• 104 total tackles and a sack last season. It stands out how many assists Nixon picks up each season. He is a dude that flies to the ball and is always in or near the pile. I think this was a massive pickup for us and he should be our starting MLB. 

4. Avery Jones | 4* OC | ECU Transfer | 6'4" 288

• A little thin at 288 but a solid center for Auburn. Has started 22 career games with solid ratings. Jones gives Auburn a smart and mobile center to build around.

3. Gunner Britton | 4* OT | WKU Transfer | 6'6" 305

• A legitimate tackle with a good build. 17 career starts for the Hilltoppers. I expect him to start.

2. Dillon Wade | 4* OT | Tulsa Transfer | 6'4" 290

• A little smaller for a tackle but very talented and familiar with the offense we are installing. Started 17 games at left tackle including reps against teams like Ole Miss, Ohio State, and Houston.

1. Payton Thorne | 3* QB | Michigan State Transfer | 6'2" 210

• Not sure how he is still only rated as a 3* in the transfer ratings. Thorne is an absolute baller that is leaving a program that, in my opinion, is absolutely tanking. He is accurate and more athletic than he gets credit for based on his film. It is a little boring having a quarterback at the top of the list but all the other additions were honestly pointless if we ended up having to ride with Ashford or TJ. We are hoping to get 2021 PT instead of the 2022 version.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Good list.  I think I agree with most of it outside a few comments.

• Nick Mardner - you seem to be higher on him than most anyone.  I see him near the end of the list & a near non-contributor.  We wouldn't be adding 3 WR if he was a solid starter.
  • DeMario Tolan  - When he committed everyone kept saying stole LSU's starting LB for '23.  He was kinda quiet this spring.  He's also just a 2nd year player.  So idk if disappointing or just will play down the line
  • Mosiah Nasili-Kite - Probably ranked right, but if he was healthy I think he'd be right up there and though of similarly as Rogers.  Harris, Rogers, Kite at DE/NT/DT will be a really solid combo.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

I am BORED at work and need something to do. Lists always make me happy and we now have a whopping EIGHTEEN additions from the portal this cycle. Let's take a look at the top 18 additions based on my opinion and projected impact. I like to go from

least-best (wouldn't call it worst because I like all of our additions) to best.

18. DeMario Tolan | 4* LB | LSU Transfer | 6'1" 203

• I liked him coming out of high school and he obviously has the potential to be higher on this list. Right now he doesn't seem to be cracking the rotation but we'll see what the summer holds. Played 12 games for LSU but only recorded 10 tackles.

17. Lawrence Johnson | 3* DL | Purdue Transfer | 6'3" 310

• Likely a rotational player at Nose Tackle unless Auburn goes into a heavy package. Academic All-Big Ten, started 13 games, 34 tackles, and 3.5 for a loss. While I don't think he starts he should see a lot of reps.

16. Elijah McAllister | 3* ED | Vanderbilt Transfer | 6'6" 265

• Three years in the SEC has a solid build and is a consistent player. His production hasn't been there yet and I believe he is a bit of a depth piece. I think he will take the next step at Auburn and be a valuable rotational player.

15. Jyaire Shorter | 4* WR | North Texas Transfer | 6'2" 218

• If he stays healthy I think he shoots up the board. However, he has had a series of nagging issues that are concerning. Auburn is hoping he can be the burner he was last year scoring on 48% of his catches. I am excited about this addition but cautious about how his play style translates to the SEC; route running is suspect.

14. Caleb Burton | 4* WR | Ohio State Transfer | 5'11" 169

• Same as above but with more potential. Burton was considered the best receiver coming out of high school at one point. A series of injuries have really ruined his progression and path. Here is to hoping he can stay healthy and reach the potential he had.

13. Brian Battie | 4* RB | USF Transfer | 5'8" 165

• 176 carries last year for 1,186 yards, and 8 touchdowns while averaging 6.7 yards per carry. Also had 14 receptions for 91 yards. Maybe I should be higher on him but he is really small for the SEC. I am a little cautious thinking of our lack of success with these smaller scatbacks but Freeze could shift that with his offense.

12. Nick Mardner | 3* WR | Cincinnati Transfer | 6'6" 215

• I have Nick higher than the other two receivers just because of what he brings to the team. He has been in college since 2018, had a 913 yards season, and his massive size makes him a tool too good to pass up. There are some concerns with him catching the ball with his body too much but I think there is a lot of upside. Plus he is Canadian which is unique.

11. Austin Keys | 3* LB | Ole Miss Transfer | 6'2" 245

• Two years of SEC experience and a very thick frame. He might actually be a player that you thin down if it means a little more speed and fluidity. 39 tackles last year, two sacks, and 1 forced fumble last season. Auburn is very weak at the linebacker position before the portal additions. We don't need Keys to be great just serviceable. I believe he starts for us.

10. Mosiah Nasili-Kite | 4* DL | Maryland Transfer | 6'2" 310

• His production has been okay. 2020 he had 18 tackles and four sacks, 2021 he had 37 tackles and four sacks, 2022 26 tackles and 1 sack with a fumble recovery too. Reports have been really positive about his performance so far and there is some thought he might start.

9. Jalen McLeod | 3* ED | Appalachian State Transfer | 6'1" 230

• 2022 he had 40 tackles, 6 sacks, and 1 fumble recovery. McLeod absolutely feasted against Texas A&M last year. Despite his smaller size (truly he is smaller than Keys who is an off-ball linebacker), he has the tools to be a solid pass rusher for Auburn. I expect him to be our starting "Jack" as of now.

8. Rivaldo Fairweather | 4* TE | FIU Transfer | 6'5" 245

• There is a lot of potential in Fairweather and the staff has loved what he has shown so far. However, I wonder why he didn't have more production against the teams FIU plays. After three years at FIU he had a combined 54 receptions, 838 receiving yards, and just 4 touchdowns. Auburn will need him to put up much better numbers for this offense to be productive. Can he make the leap despite playing better competition? We'll see.

7. Jaden Muskrat | 3* IOL | Tulsa Transfer | 6'3" 307

• There is some talk that he isn't a guaranteed starter but I think he takes one of the guard spots. Additionally, there are some thoughts he could be a tackle but I don't see that at his height/length. He has battled through a number of injuries though so it'll be a matter of if he can remain on the field. He is ranked this high because of how desperate we have needed more depth and talent on the line.

6. Justin Rogers | 4* NT | Kentucky Transfer | 6'3" 332

• Started 12 games last year racking up 33 tackles with one sack. He isn't a guy that will rack up a lot of stats (not really the point of his position) but he is an absolute space eater. I expect him to be a solid anchor against the run for Auburn and he will make life easier for Auburn's linebackers.

5. Larry Nixon III | 3* LB | North Texas Transfer | 6'2" 236

• 104 total tackles and a sack last season. It stands out how many assists Nixon picks up each season. He is a dude that flies to the ball and is always in or near the pile. I think this was a massive pickup for us and he should be our starting MLB. 

4. Avery Jones | 4* OC | ECU Transfer | 6'4" 288

• A little thin at 288 but a solid center for Auburn. Has started 22 career games with solid ratings. Jones gives Auburn a smart and mobile center to build around.

3. Gunner Britton | 4* OT | WKU Transfer | 6'6" 305

• A legitimate tackle with a good build. 17 career starts for the Hilltoppers. I expect him to start.

2. Dillon Wade | 4* OT | Tulsa Transfer | 6'4" 290

• A little smaller for a tackle but very talented and familiar with the offense we are installing. Started 17 games at left tackle including reps against teams like Ole Miss, Ohio State, and Houston.

1. Payton Thorne | 3* QB | Michigan State Transfer | 6'2" 210

• Not sure how he is still only rated as a 3* in the transfer ratings. Thorne is an absolute baller that is leaving a program that, in my opinion, is absolutely tanking. He is accurate and more athletic than he gets credit for based on his film. It is a little boring having a quarterback at the top of the list but all the other additions were honestly pointless if we ended up having to ride with Ashford or TJ. We are hoping to get 2021 PT instead of the 2022 version.

Excellent analysis. I know he’s JUCO vs Portal, but I’m anxious to see what Quientrail Jamison-Travis can do. It’s rare for a JUCO to contribute right away, but you can never have too many D linemen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Good list.  I think I agree with most of it outside a few comments.

• Nick Mardner - you seem to be higher on him than most anyone.  I see him near the end of the list & a near non-contributor.  We wouldn't be adding 3 WR if he was a solid starter.
  • DeMario Tolan  - When he committed everyone kept saying stole LSU's starting LB for '23.  He was kinda quiet this spring.  He's also just a 2nd year player.  So idk if disappointing or just will play down the line
  • Mosiah Nasili-Kite - Probably ranked right, but if he was healthy I think he'd be right up there and though of similarly as Rogers.  Harris, Rogers, Kite at DE/NT/DT will be a really solid combo.

My Nick Mardner support is irrational but I’m standing by it. Just a feeling.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Agree with the first 4 for sure.
Now guess how many do you think will start if healthy? 10? 
PT, Wade, Britton, Jones, Nixon, Fairweather, Keys, Shorter, Rogers, and maybe McLeod? Maybe Muskrat? 

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Agree with the first 4 for sure.
Now guess how many do you think will start if healthy? 10? 
PT, Wade, Britton, Jones, Nixon, Fairweather, Keys, Shorter, Rogers, and maybe McLeod? Maybe Muskrat? 

Yeah, I think we have 8 transfer starters on O alone!!!!!    Thorne,  Fairweather, the 4 OL, and 2 of the new WRs (I’m not sure which ones yet)   Jarquez is the only returning player I’m confident starts.   JWright likely will if he stays healthy.

On D, I agree.  Rogers on the DL (likely starting with Jones and Harris).  McLeod at Jack (if not him it will still definitely be a newcomer!😂).  And most likely Nixon and Keyes at the other 2 LB spots.  

That’s likely 12 new transfer starters!!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

Battie should be hire, IMO

that's basically what NIL is right? Hiring for name, image and likeness. 

So I'm reading this as the announcement of your NIL offer for him. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

On D, I agree.  Rogers on the DL (likely starting with Jones and Harris).  McLeod at Jack (if not him it will still definitely be a newcomer!😂).  And most likely Nixon and Keyes at the other 2 LB spots.  

Kite will be a starter on the DL with Rodgers and Harris IYAM. Joens will back up Rogers.

I've seen a few sites swap positions, but I think we have a lot of snaps for Rogers, Jones, and Kite. Johnson and Walker getting scraps

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Kite will be a starter on the DL with Rodgers and Harris IYAM. Joens will back up Rogers.

I've seen a few sites swap positions, but I think we have a lot of snaps for Rogers, Jones, and Kite. Johnson and Walker getting scraps

I like that DL too!  Rogers and Jones would be an AUsome 2 deep at NT!  

I've got Burton a lot higher than you do. And I'm with Bird on Battie needing to be higher, too; he's already proven he can take a beating as the primary RB. Can't argue with who you've got on top (the OL included), though, and it befuddles me that Thorne is rated as a 3-star transfer same as it does you. Guy threw for nearly 6,000 yards in the B1G over the last two seasons, one of which he was playing hurt. With Cam Brown, Burton, and Fairweather (with Mardner and Shorter as wildcards), we should have some pass catchers for him to throw to.

I am constantly amazed at how quickly Freeze has assembled the pieces to be a solid football team. I still maintain that if we win 8 regular season games, call it a win, but I do think we're a dark horse contender for the West already.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 2:08 PM, Zeek said:

Thorne is an absolute baller that is leaving a program that, in my opinion, is absolutely tanking.

Hey, we no longer have the worst buyout in CFB history!

• Thanks 1

The amazing thing about this list is that all of them will likely be in the 2 deep, and half or more will wind up as starters.  Man, I like how Freeze recruits!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

The amazing thing about this list is that all of them will likely be in the 2 deep, and half or more will wind up as starters.  Man, I like how Freeze recruits!

Yep, there were some questionable times, including among myself but all in all I give this staff an A for how hard they worked and delivered to revamp this roster that had been decimated by the last two couple of coaches...

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep, there were some questionable times, including among myself but all in all I give this staff an A for how hard they worked and delivered to revamp this roster that had been decimated by the last two couple of coaches...

Agree, it is definitely an A.  Couldn't really ask for much more realistically.  Pre spring I think I had it at a B (I don't think I went C). Mainly b/c we had incompletes/0 at QB/DE.  We got a solid QB and McLeod should be a really good pass rushing DE.  Two holes filled.  Continued to fill out the OL and WR rooms.  I'm not as high on Sing as others, but he's depth for this year and possibly a rotational guy in 24/25.  He didn't really play much last year as a back up DE.  Especially if you compare that with McLeod's production who was also a back up 

Only position we've struggled to get anyone was Safety.  We have really weak returning starters there.  Maybe scheme/DL/Pass Rush help them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Agree, it is definitely an A.  Couldn't really ask for much more realistically.  Pre spring I think I had it at a B (I don't think I went C). Mainly b/c we had incompletes/0 at QB/DE.  We got a solid QB and McLeod should be a really good pass rushing DE.  Two holes filled.  Continued to fill out the OL and WR rooms.  I'm not as high on Sing as others, but he's depth for this year and possibly a rotational guy in 24/25.  He didn't really play much last year as a back up DE.  Especially if you compare that with McLeod's production who was also a back up 

Only position we've struggled to get anyone was Safety.  We have really weak returning starters there.  Maybe scheme/DL/Pass Rush help them.

NMSU CB supposedly to provide depth at safety based on what bird has been saying. Just ready to round off this roster. Couldn’t have asked for much more to be done tbh 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

NMSU CB supposedly to provide depth at safety based on what bird has been saying. Just ready to round off this roster. Couldn’t have asked for much more to be done tbh 

Yeah, we're taking depth/back-ups with open roster spots.  These can also be special teams players