Baseball Regional Projections

It's that fun time of year where we get to look at our current post season outlook and discuss what ifs! For anyone wondering, Auburn has played themselves in to some hosting conversations. Baseball America referenced Auburn and Tennessee as teams playing to put their names on the regional hosting table. As of this morning, 5/17/2023, Baseball America has Auburn as the 2 seed in the Stanford regional. D1Baseball has Auburn projected as the 2 seed at Coastal Carolina in Conway. 

Being a 2 seed after the way the SEC season started is fantastic in and of itself. If this team can play well this weekend I fully expect Auburn to be at the center of the hosting discussion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

It's that fun time of year where we get to look at our current post season outlook and discuss what ifs! For anyone wondering, Auburn has played themselves in to some hosting conversations. Baseball America referenced Auburn and Tennessee as teams playing to put their names on the regional hosting table. As of this morning, 5/17/2023, Baseball America has Auburn as the 2 seed in the Stanford regional. D1Baseball has Auburn projected as the 2 seed at Coastal Carolina in Conway. 

Being a 2 seed after the way the SEC season started is fantastic in and of itself. If this team can play well this weekend I fully expect Auburn to be at the center of the hosting discussion. 

The westward route worked out for us last year, but going to Coastal would be a help to the fans.  Let's sweep Mizzou and see where it lies then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

The westward route worked out for us last year, but going to Coastal would be a help to the fans.  Let's sweep Mizzou and see where it lies then.

I think we would be fine going to either, but Plainsman Park would be absurd if we hosted for a second year in a row! 

And with expected seating additions we will take all the fans that will fit! 

• Like 1

I’d love to see this team rewarded with a host slot considering how well the second half of season has gone.

not sure how deep the pitching can take us but I’m looking forward to it 

21 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Let's sweep Mizzou and see where it lies then.

Agree 100%. Looks like the current weather pattern is going to fight us in getting the games in. Late afternoon storms have been rolling in like clockwork. Lawns and pastures love it.

• Like 1

OK so...

The double header sweep was huge! Auburn hit 16 SEC wins today putting us in legitimate host contention. Kentucky and Tennessee are making it a little harder on us, so I think there's a little work to be done. I still think that you're hosting with a sweep. A sweep then a win in Hoover and its guaranteed. After the double header Auburn has jumped to 16 in RPI. If Florida can take the game from Kentucky tomorrow and Auburn can sweep the series I'll feel pretty freaking confident. It would be unprecedented for a 17 win, red-hot SEC team with multiple top 5 series wins to not host. 

• Like 1

Does Bama's gambling scandal cost them a host?   On one hand I can see not wanting to "punish" the kids for something their coach did but the kids would still get to play in the tournament.   On the other hand, why would you reward a program whose head coach committed one of the worst sins in sport?

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Does Bama's gambling scandal cost them a host?   On one hand I can see not wanting to "punish" the kids for something their coach did but the kids would still get to play in the tournament.   On the other hand, why would you reward a program whose head coach committed one of the worst sins in sport?

I'm not totally sure. That's a great question though. I think the biggest hurdle in front of them is a lower seed in the SEC tournament than everyone else looking to host. As of right now the SEC could make a case for 8 hosts, and that's wild. LSU, Vandy, Florida, and Arkansas are almost guaranteed to be top 8 super seeds. So Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Alabama are all fighting for spots against a strong field of Miami, East Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Virginia, Clemson, West Virginia, Boston College, Duke, and like 3 other contenders.

What is the SECT situation? Looking at the standings and matchups today, it looks like a 5 seed maybe? Would be great to play the #12 then #4

10 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

What is the SECT situation? Looking at the standings and matchups today, it looks like a 5 seed maybe? Would be great to play the #12 then #4

Bingo. We play Mizzou Tuesday in the single elimination game then (after we win 🥇)get Vandy on Wednesday. 

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Bingo. We play Mizzou Tuesday in the single elimination game then (after we win 🥇)get Vandy on Wednesday. 

Wasn’t it last year we ended the season in a series with KY then played them our game 1 in tournament. Remember feeling like we had been playing them all season. Of course I think they had won the series then eliminated us.

49 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Wasn’t it last year we ended the season in a series with KY then played them our game 1 in tournament. Remember feeling like we had been playing them all season. Of course I think they had won the series then eliminated us.

Yes, now that you say it I believe that is exactly what happened. Let’s hope history does not repeat itself. I would love to win at least a couple of games in the SEC tournament. It would help us stay sharp for the regional.

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Salty, you are correct sir.  UK beat us 3 times in our last 4 games and in those 4 games we scored a  total of just 8 runs.    Then, we host and over the next 3 games we scored 51 runs.    Baseball can be nuts.

• ellitor changed the title to Baseball Regional Projections
16 minutes ago, woodford said:

Win at least two in the tourney and we have a great chance to host. 

1 and we have a great chance. Also would help if SC, UTk, and Bama are 1 & done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

D!Baseball Regional Projections fresh off the presses...

https://d1baseball.com/projections/d1baseball-field-of-64-projections-may-22/

image.png

Thanks for posting! I got busy and it slipped my mind. Baseball America should put theirs out tomorrow. Needless to say, I'll be borderline useless after 9:30am tomorrow 😅

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

I'd be kind of shocked if we aren't all but locked in at this point.

I wouldn't. Us, Bama, & the Vols all have very similar resumes. SC has a better resume overall but is behind us, at least on D1B, because they have lost 4 SEC series in a row. If we lose to Mizzou and 1 or 2 of those teams win a game or 2 and I could see them jumping us in the order. Not sure if the committee will go past 7 host SEC teams but if they are open to the idea I gotta admit it would be pretty cool if all 4 teams made a run in the SECT getting us 9 host SEC teams.

Weather forecast doesn't look good for today. Having the last game means we probably get bumped to tomm.. 

15 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Thanks for posting! I got busy and it slipped my mind. Baseball America should put theirs out tomorrow. Needless to say, I'll be borderline useless after 9:30am tomorrow 😅

Please let this happen and please let Samford eliminate Bama.

4 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Please let this happen and please let Samford eliminate Bama.

Baseball America currently has us at the 14 overall hosting Texas, Troy, and Samford. Texas would be a tough put, but I believe we are better than them right now. 

24 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Baseball America currently has us at the 14 overall hosting Texas, Troy, and Samford. Texas would be a tough put, but I believe we are better than them right now. 

Texas played 5 SEC teams this year.   They lost to Arky, Missou, Vandy and LSU and beat ATM.