Favorite Auburn player not named…

Viper

Good topic on McElroy & Cubelic this morning.

Favorite Auburn player not named Sullivan, Bo or Cam. This is not the best you’ve seen. Just your favorite and why.

I’ll go with Frank Sanders. Not just Auburn’s only other 1st Team All-American WR not named Beasley, he had an electrifying personality on and off the field. His teammates nicknamed him “Hollywood.” You couldn’t wait to see him make a monster catch because you knew his passion for the game was about to go 4th of July. He just oozed confidence. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

It would be tough for me not to choose Cadillac

I started to list him as one you couldn’t choose, but if you include him with the Heisman winners, the list becomes a slippery slope. But yeah, I’d expect Cadillac to win this handily. 

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Quentin Groves, Derrick Brown, Trey Mason,

And hear me out here.......Demarco McNeil!!!

Reasons why?

I'm a big fan of  pass rushers that look like a Madden create a player for the first two. 

Tre Mason was, imo, one of the most underrated running backs in Auburn history and I loved his play style.

DeMarco just seems like a fun dude, great representative of Auburn, and he was an awesome player. 

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

It would be tough for me not to choose Cadillac

I didn't choose Caddy, simply for the fact that as good as he was as a player and as awesome as he is as a coach/grown up, he was kind of a boring dude as a college player. He played well, but you didn't really hear a lot about him as a person. 

• Love 1

Tom Banks.....

could drink beer with the best of them for one

meanest sob anywhere

good teammate

one of the best centers in AU history imo

Center: Tom Banks (1971-80)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Tom Banks.....

could drink beer with the best of them for one

meanest sob anywhere

good teammate

one of the best centers in AU history imo

Center: Tom Banks (1971-80)

Pretty sure that's Randy Bachman... Nice try though. 

• Haha 2

James ‘Bye-Bye’ Brooks. Little in stature but huge production and played super hard. Also had one of the better NFL careers of our former players. I’m partial because he played in those awesome tear away jerseys of the 70’s and even (wait for it) orange jersey once. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Quentin Groves, as mentioned earlier. Dude just had a motor and never quit. Anytime he was on the field he could and often did make plays. 

Go to the 18:00 mark

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

Why Little Train?

little man playing in a big man's game.  i am small myself and as a kid, i loved Lil Train.  there are TONS of athletes that are smaller but not many are that good and make it to the big time

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Jeff Burger because he was tough as nails, pretty clutch passer and didn't flinch when the game was the line. I like tough QBs. Brandon Cox was another favorite for the same reason. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

50 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Jeff Burger because he was tough as nails, pretty clutch passer and didn't flinch when the game was the line. I like tough QBs. Brandon Cox was another favorite for the same reason. 

Yeah I think we’d kill for a QB like Brandon Cox now. Especially after knowing he had all the health issues that he had…

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/sports/ncaafootball/22cox.html

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 2

Too many...

Kenny Irons

Jerraud Powers 

Carlos Rogers 

Brian Robinson

Jason Miska 

Carlos Dansby

Brett Eddins

Nick Fairly 

Ben Grubbs

Andy Fuller

Quentin Groves 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Can’t help it but loved me some Aundray Bruce, and Craig Ogletree.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Too many...

Kenny Irons

Jerraud Powers 

Carlos Rogers 

Brian Robinson

Jason Miska 

Carlos Dansby

Brett Eddins

Nick Fairly 

Ben Grubbs

Andy Fuller

Quentin Groves 

Reggie Slack, James Joseph, Ken Bernich, Terry Henley........way too many.

• Like 2

Joe Frazier, probably the best blocker pound for pound.  Also Lutzie, and another fullback I can't remember at the moment who had "only be strong and courageous" in Hebrew tattooed on his arm.

• Love 1

I’m gonna add a second one.

Carlo Cheattom. Because hits. Especially the one on Reggie Cobb because I was in attendance and couldn’t wait to get home and watch the replay on VHS.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Lawyer Tillman - First Big time receiver, that I can remember, after running the ball for so long. Plus, the Reverse to Victory. Still the only AU jersey I ever bought.

Stacy Danley252D841B-0C24-4201-B706-149DAD6C35FF.jpeg.c07f6f118758a66f2263a9267e1a3d3a.jpeg- Bama killer. Ran harder as the game went on. Played some of his best games against them. Took one of the hardest hits I have ever saw,!then got up, ran off the field.

CE0DC32F-64F4-4416-820B-F4FC7901A5CC.jpeg

Edited by WVR
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, WVR said:

Lawyer Tillman - First Big time receiver, that I can remember, after running the ball for so long. Plus, the Reverse to Victory. Still the only AU jersey I ever bought.

Stacey Danley252D841B-0C24-4201-B706-149DAD6C35FF.jpeg.c07f6f118758a66f2263a9267e1a3d3a.jpeg- Bama killer. Ran harder as the game went on. Played some of his best games against them. Took one of the hardest hits I have ever saw,!then got up, ran off the field.

CE0DC32F-64F4-4416-820B-F4FC7901A5CC.jpeg

Danley against OSU in the bowl game. Coach Dye told him if he didn't get up we lose the game. He got up and we won. 

• Like 3