After going after stoves and generators, Biden Admin wants to control your Lighbulbs

KansasTiger

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Let's be honest.  It really doesn't matter what was done, it was going to be characterized as showing weakness, giving the Taliban what they wanted or a million other things.  Had the very same thing occurred a year earlier, you would have simply called it a decisive action to end what had been a costly needless continued occupation.

That statement is not accurate. You should go back to mind reader's school, you got cheated.

9 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

True, but when it became obvious it didn’t take we left (especially Iraq) with little regard as to who was going to rule after our military presence left abruptly.  IIRC Bin Ladin said all they had to do was to wait us out because our public has little patience for a prolonged war.

We could have waited another 10 years in both places and the results would have been the same.  Likewise, leaving 10 years earlier would have also resulted in the same outcome. We weren't dealing with educated structured populations with the same core values.  They were never going to thank us for educating their children.  They didn't want their daughters being educated.

Compare that experience to the outcomes in Japan and Germany post WWII.  There was a great deal of respect and appreciation for the investment made to rebuild those countries.  They weren't controlled by religious fanatics that would rather die than respect laws not based on their extremist ideology.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

We could have waited another 10 years in both places and the results would have been the same. 

We could have waited another two weeks and not left the terrorists a billion dollars worth of our military weapons. Biden didn't even give our guys time to "spike the cannons".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:14 PM, Didba said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the exit plan used by Biden first designed and put into place during Trump's presidency?

No

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:16 PM, AURex said:

Um .... Yes it was. Which has NOTHING to do with light bulbs! HAHAHAHHA

nope

On 8/6/2023 at 10:02 AM, AU9377 said:

I realize this is off topic..... but having had a close friend needlessly lose his life in Afghanistan..... the topic really pushes the buttons.

We all should be sorry for every loss. Your friends certainly included. 

The loss of 13 soldiers due to a badly bungled evacuation by the Biden Administration pushes many millions of buttons and rightfully so. It did not have to be that way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

The loss of 13 soldiers due to a badly bungled evacuation by the Biden Administration pushes many millions of buttons and rightfully so. It did not have to be that way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are right. It has absolutely nothing to do with light bulbs.

Just more right wing whataboutism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

We all should be sorry for every loss. Your friends certainly included. 

Nearly 2000 died in the course of the occupation.

It's absolutely awful that we lost 13 souls on the way out, but the numbers would have been higher had we elected to remain for any extended amount of time. 

There was no way the withdrawal was ever going to be pretty.   

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 9:28 AM, DKW 86 said:

Built in 1978, third owner. The Second owner was (seriously) a true nutcase engineer at a local plant. It would take too long to explain. He "customized" some of the wiring here and I have been chasing the remainder of his crazy ideas out of the house for 23 years now. The guy saw himself as some kind of energy conservation genius and was anything but...He was just crazy.

Thanks for the offer but the second owner is far more likely the real culprit. None of my neighbors report any issues and they were all built by the same builder.

Nothing was offered except professional curiosity. Your home wasn’t built in the last twenty years, as such wouldn’t have been builders screwing up. 

I agree that your nutcase engineer is the likely culprit. 

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Nearly 2000 died in the course of the occupation.

It's absolutely awful that we lost 13 souls on the way out, but the numbers would have been higher had we elected to remain for any extended amount of time. 

There was no way the withdrawal was ever going to be pretty.   

Far too many.

It was awful and no arguments from me that it was time to leave. 

That is speculation at best. 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Far too many.

It was awful and no arguments from me that it was time to leave. 

That is speculation at best. 

As long as we were there keeping the peace there would have been a constant trickle of deaths. The Taliban dialed it back (on us, but not on the Afghan security forces) in the last year - and for good reason, we had agreed to leave and they wanted us gone - but they would have fired back up had we gone back on Trump's agreement in Doha. Even if they didn't, ISIL-K was waiting in the wings. They're the ones that perpetrated the bombing that killed those service men and women.

On 8/6/2023 at 12:37 PM, GoAU said:

That’s a very broad statement and a binary answer, either way, just isn’t realistic.   In general, I tend to feel less governmental involvement is usually better.  

What I’m deeply against however is the practice / concept of Chevron Deference.  Government agencies have been running amok for a long time abolishing this concept and it’s increasing exponentially under the current administration.  Non-elected executive officials should not have the authority to essentially create law.  

Interesting. Thanks for the answer. I disagree.  Government regulation of industries have saved thousands of lives e.g. labor laws, osha, etc. 

as for administrators essentially creating law… those regulations cannot abrogate congressional legislation or judicial review. The checks and balances are there. They just have to be used but then you may put precedent on the books that may be bad for yourself when you have the executive. It’s a tough situation.  

On 8/6/2023 at 10:47 PM, Mikey said:

That statement is not accurate. You should go back to mind reader's school, you got cheated.

Ooooooo sick burn 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Resign immediately? This guy isn’t biased at all…

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Didba said:

Resign immediately? This guy isn’t biased at all…

No, he is a father that loved his child and misses him.  He feels the leaders in the military shortened his time with his son for no good reason. He gets the chance to express his feelings, he earned it.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, AUDub said:

As long as we were there keeping the peace there would have been a constant trickle of deaths. The Taliban dialed it back (on us, but not on the Afghan security forces) in the last year - and for good reason, we had agreed to leave and they wanted us gone - but they would have fired back up had we gone back on Trump's agreement in Doha. Even if they didn't, ISIL-K was waiting in the wings. They're the ones that perpetrated the bombing that killed those service men and women.

All true and I covered that in detail before.

But has nothing to do with the bungled evacuation executed by this administration. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

No, he is a father that loved his child and misses him.  He feels the leaders in the military shortened his time with his son for no good reason. He gets the chance to express his feelings, he earned it.

I agree, just pointing out he is probably a biased as most would be.

Damn those people who would force more efficient light bulbs upon us.  Damn those people who would implement policies that attempt to do anything to mitigate energy use and global warming.  Damn them all to hell.

Freedumb!!!!

4 hours ago, Didba said:

Interesting. Thanks for the answer. I disagree.  Government regulation of industries have saved thousands of lives e.g. labor laws, osha, etc. 

as for administrators essentially creating law… those regulations cannot abrogate congressional legislation or judicial review. The checks and balances are there. They just have to be used but then you may put precedent on the books that may be bad for yourself when you have the executive. It’s a tough situation.  

As I said, I am not advocating no regulation, but I am certainly against over regulation.   You cite OSHA - and since leaving the military I have worked in manufacturing for quite some time.  I agree with most of what is in place with OSHA, the NLRB, maybe not as much.  But even OSHA has cases and instances where they've run afoul of their intent.  

So, as an attorney, are you saying you agree with Chevron Deference as a technique over the Rule of Lenity when it comes to potential felony "laws" that are added under the guise of "rule making"?  I completely disagree with an Executive Agency playing the roles of judge, jury and executioner.

18 hours ago, GoAU said:

As I said, I am not advocating no regulation, but I am certainly against over regulation.   You cite OSHA - and since leaving the military I have worked in manufacturing for quite some time.  I agree with most of what is in place with OSHA, the NLRB, maybe not as much.  But even OSHA has cases and instances where they've run afoul of their intent.  

So, as an attorney, are you saying you agree with Chevron Deference as a technique over the Rule of Lenity when it comes to potential felony "laws" that are added under the guise of "rule making"?  I completely disagree with an Executive Agency playing the roles of judge, jury and executioner.

Just for historical context, I suggest you read up on on the "Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906" and the origins of the FDA.

https://library.weill.cornell.edu/about-us/snake oil -social media-drug-advertising-your-health/food-and-drug-administration-continued

When you have a world with HUGE multi-national corporations you need a correspondingly large/capable government that is capable of regulating them. 

(See the movie Soylent Green ;);D)

Also, see banking regulations and the great depression. (Not to mention the financial crisis of 2008.)

Yeah, regulations need to be well thought-out and responsible but most regulations arguably are.

Edited by homersapien

3 hours ago, GoAU said:

What potential felony “laws” are you referring?

otherwise, yeah I’m good with the chevron doctrine as it is explained here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/chevron_deference

like I said before they can only make regulations based upon powers Congress gives them. Congress can take them away or clarify issues of interpretation and supersede the agencies. Further, I’m not sure where judge, jury and executioner is about. I’d like to hear what you meant by that. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Just for historical context, I suggest you read up on on the "Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906" and the origins of the FDA.

https://library.weill.cornell.edu/about-us/snake oil -social media-drug-advertising-your-health/food-and-drug-administration-continued

When you have a world with HUGE multi-national corporations you need a correspondingly large/capable government that is capable of regulating them.  (See the movie Soylent Green)

Also, see banking regulations and the great depression. (Not to mention the financial crisis of 2008.)

Yeah, regulations need to be well thought-out and responsible but most regulations arguably are.

For those who are slow on the uptake, I am not against ALL regulation.  I am against the use of administrative agencies to run the “end around” on Congress to pass “rules” that are essentially laws.  

Regulations can have benefit, or can harm.  

28 minutes ago, Didba said:

What potential felony “laws” are you referring?

otherwise, yeah I’m good with the chevron doctrine as it is explained here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/chevron_deference

like I said before they can only make regulations based upon powers Congress gives them. Congress can take them away or clarify issues of interpretation and supersede the agencies. Further, I’m not sure where judge, jury and executioner is about. I’d like to hear what you meant by that. 

A great recent example is the ATF and their recent rule regarding pistol braces for handguns.  They’ve been legal for over a decade by the ATFs own decree, then we’re recently deemed to be illegal short barreled rifles.  You either had to register them as SBRs, or run the risk of a felony with prison sentence of 10 years - for something that’s been legal for over a decade.  And before people chime in with “just register them” short barreled rifles are not legal in all states, so there are a lot of people up the creek on this ruling.  Also, most people haven’t even heard of the “rule” so there are a lot of people that could have become felons and not even aware of it.  BTW, there are projected to be MILLIONS of these in circulation.  

• Facepalm 1