After going after stoves and generators, Biden Admin wants to control your Lighbulbs

KansasTiger

On 8/4/2023 at 9:16 AM, Mikey said:

Of course Americans should sacrifice! We need to suffer these restrictions, buy more expensive items and ruin our economy so that Communist China can build two new coal-fired power plants every week.

(hint) What we do here won't matter one bit until China and India get on board. Unless and until they do, our efforts and sacrifices don't amount to a fart in a whirlwind. We need to use our abundant energy resources to help America. Instead we're shelving our resources and financing China's military buildup by blocking mining of necessary materials in America so that we can buy these materials from China. Let's Go Brandon!

https://energyandcleanair.org/publication/china-permits-two-new-coal-power-plants-per-week-in-2022/

I still don't understand why this is such a burden or great sacrifice?  The bulbs last longer, produce more light and do so by using less energy.

bulbcomparison.JPG

27 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I still don't understand why this is such a burden or great sacrifice?  The bulbs last longer, produce more light and do so by using less energy.

bulbcomparison.JPG

Again, the issue isn’t about an obvious choice - it’s about the customer  being able to make it or it being forced on them.  It’s a nothingburger to me - but some resent gov regulation itself.

31 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Again, the issue isn’t about an obvious choice - it’s about the customer  being able to make it or it being forced on them.  It’s a nothingburger to me - but some resent gov regulation itself.

I get that.  I'm not endorsing govt regulation on all things.  However, sometimes there has to be more than blind trust in the market and its impact on corporate decision making to protect consumers and ensure that factors other than profit determine what is best for our communities overall.

Without some degree of regulatory control, there would still be vast portions of the country without many of the basic necessities that we take for granted today.  It does go too far at times and there is corruption in the system, but I prefer the corruption that I can demand be changed than the kind that takes place behind closed doors that I have no right to open.

The power of economic free markets should make this clear.  The more the government meddles in the economy the more the people get screwed (with some exceptions).  I think forcing LEDs to be cost competitive with incandescent bulbs has really helped to get them used more frequently.  If this cost pressure wasn’t there, they would be as ridiculously expensive as they were when they first came out.  

• Facepalm 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:52 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Some power vacuums are orchestrated, see Iraq after Obama pulled out our troops almost overnight.  Also Afghanistan when Biden did the same thing.

see central and south america during the 50s to 90s as well. CIA was having a LOT of fun creating power vacuums under the guise of protecting america from communism.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Did the same here, but one thing I am seeing is that the overall failure rate for the new bulbs is not that much different for us. 

Our home has always seemed to eat bulbs though ever since we moved into it.

That could be a something more to do with how the subs wired the house.  I used to sue homebuilders for construction defects and breach of contract, if you don't mind me asking was your home a new build in the last 10-15 years and if so, who built it?

On 8/4/2023 at 3:52 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Some power vacuums are orchestrated, see Iraq after Obama pulled out our troops almost overnight.  Also Afghanistan when Biden did the same thing.

Because staying longer would have accomplished what exactly?

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Not the point is it.  The point is when you give up power it allows an authoritarian government to take power and I gave examples.  The US has been doing this for awhile.  Vietnam was another one.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Are you joking?

Staying a short period of time longer and holding on to the air base until we were out would have let us get all Americans out who wanted out. We'd have been able to evacuate our Afghan civilian helpers and almost certainly saved the lives of those 13 servicemen killed because of Biden's cowardly, pell-mell rush for the exit.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree, but the original comment that was made was about power vacuums can lead to authoritarian control which Afghanistan was an example.  We have a bad record at nation building.

Besides France, Japan, South Korea and West Germany but yes for the most part we suck

10 hours ago, GoAU said:

The power of economic free markets should make this clear.  The more the government meddles in the economy the more the people get screwed (with some exceptions).  I think forcing LEDs to be cost competitive with incandescent bulbs has really helped to get them used more frequently.  If this cost pressure wasn’t there, they would be as ridiculously expensive as they were when they first came out.  

Do you include regulating industries and corporations in that?

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Are you joking?

Staying a short period of time longer and holding on to the air base until we were out would have let us get all Americans out who wanted out. We'd have been able to evacuate our Afghan civilian helpers and almost certainly saved the lives of those 13 servicemen killed because of Biden's cowardly, pell-mell rush for the exit.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the exit plan used by Biden first designed and put into place during Trump's presidency?

• Like 1

Just now, Didba said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the exit plan used by Biden first designed and put into place during Trump's presidency?

Um .... Yes it was. Which has NOTHING to do with light bulbs! HAHAHAHHA

1 minute ago, AURex said:

Um .... Yes it was. Which has NOTHING to do with light bulbs! HAHAHAHHA

Damn... you got me.

18 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I get that.  I'm not endorsing govt regulation on all things.  However, sometimes there has to be more than blind trust in the market and its impact on corporate decision making to protect consumers and ensure that factors other than profit determine what is best for our communities overall.

Without some degree of regulatory control, there would still be vast portions of the country without many of the basic necessities that we take for granted today.  It does go too far at times and there is corruption in the system, but I prefer the corruption that I can demand be changed than the kind that takes place behind closed doors that I have no right to open.

Folks in Florida still awaiting money for hurricane damaged homes would agree with more industry regulation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Didba said:

You are wrong. Trump's plan had certain conditions that had to be met if the exit date was to be kept. Biden dropped the conditions, turned tail and ran with the ensuing disastrous results. Had the Bungler in Chief faithfully stuck with ALL of Trump's plan the result would, or at least should, have been very different. We'll never know.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

oh my gawd that dang biden is taking away my freedom to buy lightbulbs that are energy hawg...........omg what am i gonna do.

really people? and yall call me deranged..................

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Didba said:

That could be a something more to do with how the subs wired the house.  I used to sue homebuilders for construction defects and breach of contract, if you don't mind me asking was your home a new build in the last 10-15 years and if so, who built it?

Built in 1978, third owner. The Second owner was (seriously) a true nutcase engineer at a local plant. It would take too long to explain. He "customized" some of the wiring here and I have been chasing the remainder of his crazy ideas out of the house for 23 years now. The guy saw himself as some kind of energy conservation genius and was anything but...He was just crazy.

Thanks for the offer but the second owner is far more likely the real culprit. None of my neighbors report any issues and they were all built by the same builder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

You are wrong. Trump's plan had certain conditions that had to be met if the exit date was to be kept. Biden dropped the conditions, turned tail and ran with the ensuing disastrous results. Had the Bungler in Chief faithfully stuck with ALL of Trump's plan the result would, or at least should, have been very different. We'll never know.

I realize this is off topic..... but having had a close friend needlessly lose his life in Afghanistan..... the topic really pushes the buttons.

The song and dance about how many Afghans we left there is just ridiculous.  We airlifted 124,000 plus Afghans out during the exit and have re-settled over 90,000 of those people in the U.S.  Those that helped the U.S. over the 20 years of occupation can't include everyone that ever worked for a U.S. contractor.

While I am certain that looking back there are decisions that could have been made differently, staying in that hell hole is not one of them.  George W. Bush should have withdrawn before he left office.  Obama was determined to get us out of Iraq and compromised an exit from Afghanistan.  Donald Trump pledged to get us out of Afghanistan, but 4 years later the job still wasn't done.  Thankfully, no more U.S. troops have to risk their lives protecting Islamic extremists in Afghanistan today.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Didba said:

Do you include regulating industries and corporations in that?

That’s a very broad statement and a binary answer, either way, just isn’t realistic.   In general, I tend to feel less governmental involvement is usually better.  

What I’m deeply against however is the practice / concept of Chevron Deference.  Government agencies have been running amok for a long time abolishing this concept and it’s increasing exponentially under the current administration.  Non-elected executive officials should not have the authority to essentially create law.  

• Facepalm 1

On 8/5/2023 at 6:47 AM, I_M4_AU said:

I agree, but the original comment that was made was about power vacuums can lead to authoritarian control which Afghanistan was an example.  We have a bad record at nation building.

You said we orchestrated it. We did try to set up a democracy. It didn't take. 

• Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, AUDub said:

You said we orchestrated it. We did try to set up a democracy. It didn't take. 

True, but when it became obvious it didn’t take we left (especially Iraq) with little regard as to who was going to rule after our military presence left abruptly.  IIRC Bin Ladin said all they had to do was to wait us out because our public has little patience for a prolonged war.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

That’s a very broad statement and a binary answer, either way, just isn’t realistic.   In general, I tend to feel less governmental involvement is usually better.  

What I’m deeply against however is the practice / concept of Chevron Deference.  Government agencies have been running amok for a long time abolishing this concept and it’s increasing exponentially under the current administration.  Non-elected executive officials should not have the authority to essentially create law.  

ICHY facepalmed this, LOL - he must just wants a big government to tell him everything to do.  

• Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Donald Trump pledged to get us out of Afghanistan, but 4 years later the job still wasn't done. 

Up-thread one of the Libbies claimed the evacuation plan was Trumps. You say it's Trump's failure to evacuate. Y'all should get your stuff together.

While I am certain that looking back there are decisions that could have been made differently, staying in that hell hole is not one of them. 

No, but staying another couple of days/weeks until things were secured was a good option that Biden bungled.

The song and dance about how many Afghans we left there is just ridiculous.

So you claim. Still today there are private groups funded by Americans who are getting our previously deserted helpers out.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Up-thread one of the Libbies claimed the evacuation plan was Trumps. You say it's Trump's failure to evacuate. Y'all should get your stuff together.

No, but staying another couple of days/weeks until things were secured was a good option that Biden bungled.

So you claim. Still today there are private groups funded by Americans who are getting our previously deserted helpers out.

Let's be honest.  It really doesn't matter what was done, it was going to be characterized as showing weakness, giving the Taliban what they wanted or a million other things.  Had the very same thing occurred a year earlier, you would have simply called it a decisive action to end what had been a costly needless continued occupation.

• Like 2