After going after stoves and generators, Biden Admin wants to control your Lighbulbs

KansasTiger

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Unless the extra power needed per bulb is from hydro, nuclear (another rabbit hole), or magical pixie dust - I’m missing the logic part.

The Energy Department says the ban will help the planet. Specifically, look into the Energy Department’s statements regarding the thirty-year carbon emission reductions the ban will allegedly achieve. Then go look into the metric tons of carbon emissions China is responsible for annually. This should fill in the gaps.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Ignore a feasible and cost effective way to reduce energy consumption simply because there are appliances or practices that use proportionally more energy in the first place?

I fail to see how that's a "useful" rationale in a non-zero sum situation.

You’re continuing to misunderstand my point.

4 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Yeah cause there's a real danger of going too far toward individual freedom. Let's name a time in the past 40 years the government willingly swung that way too far. Meanwhile, there are plenty of examples of the govt creeping into areas they don't belong.

Yes, we all get it. Some regulation needs to exist. This is not one of those times.

Corporations' individual freedom.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

No it's not.  :-\

Not going to argue about how much it "helps the planet" but it undeniably conserves energy.  Your "logic" isn't logical.

Of course. You know the whole “help the planet” claim is BS. 

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

I'm sure the current state of military policies and leadership has nothing to do with the recruiting crisis. To not list it is a bit ignorant.

I am former military, and I know several Colonels and a few generals who are family and friends. And not a single one of them encourages their children to join the military (I wont be encouraging my children, either). That was simply unheard of 10-15 years ago. Family service used to be one of the strongest pillars if not the backbone of the military's numbers. My grandfather served, my father served, my brother served, I served, and so on. But if you ask them why we've stopped encouraging our children to serve, it isn't because of the economy.

probably because of a multitude of things.

2 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

It's like the one form of individual freedom that doesn't help me. Hooray.

Yeah, it actually hurts you. Thank you Citizens United.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

The hot air of Washington politicians causes much more problems than all the light bulbs in the world.

Does it though?

• Facepalm 1

22 hours ago, AUDub said:

In this day and age it's imperative we take as much load off of our power grids as possible.

Of course Americans should sacrifice! We need to suffer these restrictions, buy more expensive items and ruin our economy so that Communist China can build two new coal-fired power plants every week.

(hint) What we do here won't matter one bit until China and India get on board. Unless and until they do, our efforts and sacrifices don't amount to a fart in a whirlwind. We need to use our abundant energy resources to help America. Instead we're shelving our resources and financing China's military buildup by blocking mining of necessary materials in America so that we can buy these materials from China. Let's Go Brandon!

https://energyandcleanair.org/publication/china-permits-two-new-coal-power-plants-per-week-in-2022/

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Of course Americans should sacrifice! We need to suffer these restrictions, buy more expensive items and ruin our economy so that Communist China can build two new coal-fired power plants every week.

(hint) What we do here won't matter one bit until China and India get on board. Unless and until they do, our efforts and sacrifices don't amount to a fart in a whirlwind. We need to use our abundant energy resources to help America. Instead we're shelving our resources and financing China's military buildup by blocking mining of necessary materials in America so that we can buy these materials from China. Let's Go Brandon!

https://energyandcleanair.org/publication/china-permits-two-new-coal-power-plants-per-week-in-2022/

Since China and India have massively larger populations, it’s not a perfect point - but it is one to consider. Especially China. While I don’t think the right answer is to do nothing, China is a massive problem the US and the west are going to have to start being honest about (at many levels) - quickly.

image.thumb.png.e18f26470c5981d65cf512e228fb4503.png

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Since China and India have massively larger populations, it’s not a perfect point - but it is one to consider. Especially China. While I don’t think the right answer is to do nothing, China is a massive problem the US and the west are going to have to start being honest about (at many levels) - quickly.

image.thumb.png.e18f26470c5981d65cf512e228fb4503.png

2be19820446fd35f.thumb.jpg.d3a27e3fbe64803fcc0e5565189b1e35.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

2be19820446fd35f.thumb.jpg.d3a27e3fbe64803fcc0e5565189b1e35.jpg

And thats the sick irony. In classic Marxist theory, communism is supposed to have no real government. A “commune”-based society. Instead it mutates straight into old-school dictatorships  every time. In trying to eliminate classes and oppression - it actually dramatically amplifies it.

image.thumb.png.a0f7c4ea838873647b9434a27934c940.png

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

And thats the sick irony. In classic Marxist theory, communism is supposed to have no real government. A “commune”-based society. Instead it mutates straight into old-school dictatorships  every time. In trying to eliminate classes and oppression - it actually dramatically amplifies it.

image.thumb.png.a0f7c4ea838873647b9434a27934c940.png

Power vacuums create authoritarian governments 

Edited by Didba

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Power vacuums create authoritarian governments 

Some power vacuums are orchestrated, see Iraq after Obama pulled out our troops almost overnight.  Also Afghanistan when Biden did the same thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Some power vacuums are orchestrated, see Iraq after Obama pulled out our troops almost overnight.  Also Afghanistan when Biden did the same thing.

Meh. 20 years of Afghanistan was long enough. That their government promptly fell like a house of cards isn’t our problem. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Meh. 20 years of Afghanistan was long enough. That their government promptly fell like a house of cards isn’t our problem. 

No, but it will be soon enough.  Iraq was a different story, that was almost instantaneous.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

No, but it will be soon enough.  Iraq was a different story, that was almost instantaneous.

It was between leaving or another 20 years of nation building. I accept leaving. 

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It was between leaving or another 20 years of nation building. I accept leaving. 

There were better choices than abandoning our allies and becoming recognized as an international weakling. Leaving needed to be done, but there were a LOT better ways to leave than the way the Bungler In Chief did it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2023 at 8:57 PM, Didba said:

Straight facts, my mom works in lighting and she replaced all of out incandescents in this old house we moved into and our power-bill went down a ton.

Did the same here, but one thing I am seeing is that the overall failure rate for the new bulbs is not that much different for us. 

Our home has always seemed to eat bulbs though ever since we moved into it.

11 hours ago, AUDub said:

100% Agree. Folks, some people are not meant to have Republican forms of govt. The people just arent ready and it may be several generations before they are ready, IF EVER. I truly think we could have stayed there another 50 years and the outcome would not have been much different.

Leaving Afghanistan was the right decision. It is one of the few things I think trump and Biden both got right.

Edited by DKW 86

8 hours ago, AUDub said:

I agree, but the original comment that was made was about power vacuums can lead to authoritarian control which Afghanistan was an example.  We have a bad record at nation building.