Oliver "Chris" Anthony

LPTiger

I encourage all of you to do research on this guy.   He has come literally out of nowhere Virginia and jumped to the top of the music charts with his song Rich Men North of Richmond. First listen to the song and hear this cat's soulful voice and anger.    That song has received 22Million listens in the last week.   High school dropout with a GED.   He says he just turned down an $8MM record contract because he doesn't want 8 tour buses, 16 semis and a jet.   He said "I ain't even a very good musician."  He also said he isn't a very good person and has struggled with mental health for a while.   He lives in a 27 foot travel trailer.   It is good to know that there are some real people with real talent out there still.   I love music but don't much about instruments.  He plays an acoustic guitar with a Tin plate by the strings that has a high pitch.   Dib is a music guy.   He can elaborate.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The reeks of an inorganic astroturf with all the partisans signal boosting him. 

Case in point, why is this in the political board. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

54 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Because his song that has 22million plays is named Rich Men North of Richmond.    DC is just north of Richmond.   "They want to know what you think, want to know what you do" "The rich men north of Richmond all just want to have total control."   The whole song is about how messed up America is right now.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Because his song that has 22million plays is named Rich Men North of Richmond.    DC is just north of Richmond.   "They want to know what you think, want to know what you do" "The rich men north of Richmond all just want to have total control."   The whole song is about how messed up America is right now.   

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

why is this in the political board. 

I guaran-*******-tee if that little line in there about welfare queens was replaced with one about union busting, this thread would not exist. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Dub, I am surprised.   I would have expected a man who finds humor in a guy riding a corn dog jet ski would appreciate that song.    

• Like 1

If the people who love this song are tired of "working long hours for bull**** pay" then why do they always vote in favor of right to work laws and against labor unions. 

These Conservatives willingly give corporations ALL the power and then complain that these same corporations are taking advantage of them....

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

If the people who love this song are tired of "working long hours for bull**** pay" then why do they always vote in favor of right to work laws and against labor unions. 

These Conservatives willingly give corporations ALL the power and then complain that these same corporations are taking advantage of them....

They'd rather punch down. "Obese welfare queens spending your tax dollars on Little Debbies" are the actual problem, you see.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Man, as a musician this is so depressing currently writing music as a hobby… 

Like THAT gets 22 million plays on Spotify? This seems to be pandering pretty hard to a specific group of people with north vs south dog whistling throughout the song. 

here’s a good breakdown of the dog whistles in the song:

Bo Burnham said it best:

Edited by Didba
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

He has a very nice voice though, and his production is very good. The guitar playing is spot on for that genre if it’s his and not a studio musician.  Nice to see some reverb on his voice since most artists don’t even use it these days in the pop world but it works here. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 9:28 AM, Didba said:

Man, as a musician this is so depressing currently writing music as a hobby… 

Like THAT gets 22 million plays on Spotify? This seems to be pandering pretty hard to a specific group of people with north vs south dog whistling throughout the song. 

here’s a good breakdown of the dog whistles in the song:

Bo Burnham said it best:

"Hear that subtle Mandolin? That's textbook panderin'!"

• Love 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:27 PM, AUDub said:

Dude speaks to those less fortunate and you fade him?

9 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

He’s not punching up. You don’t mention “welfare queens” if you’re punching up. 

16 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

He spends maybe 10 seconds of the song on those less fortunate if you break down his lyrics. Watch the video break down I posted. It explains it very well. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

He’s not punching up. You don’t mention “welfare queens” if you’re punching up. 

Allowing welfare recipients to spend government dollars unwisely and without restriction is problematic in several ways. I've personally witnessed the problem firsthand. Struggling to understand your lack of support for the message here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

He spends maybe 10 seconds of the song on those less fortunate if you break down his lyrics. Watch the video break down I posted. It explains it very well. 

Opinion piece. Next.

Only 24,000,000 people have listened to it.   It is now # 1.   They are a lot of old soul Americans fed up with the new world where what is obviously wrong is now right and what is obviously right is wrong.   Fact # 1 =  men dressing in women's locker rooms and displaying their male anatomy for all the women to be offended is obviously wrong.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/18/2023 at 9:28 AM, Didba said:

Bo Burnham said it best:

I call this Recipe Country Music. It is totally s*** music. And this guy totally nails it..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Allowing welfare recipients to spend government dollars unwisely and without restriction is problematic in several ways. I've personally witnessed the problem firsthand. Struggling to understand your lack of support for the message here. 

You have more in common than that welfare queen than you do with the people pulling the levers. 

16 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Only 24,000,000 people have listened to it.   It is now # 1.   They are a lot of old soul Americans fed up with the new world where what is obviously wrong is now right and what is obviously right is wrong.   Fact # 1 =  men dressing in women's locker rooms and displaying their male anatomy for all the women to be offended is obviously wrong.

Eat s***! 20 trillion flies can't be wrong!

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

You have more in common than that welfare queen than you do with the people pulling the levers. 

Very true. Worked with "her" for years and no, I don't care to kill "her" with Twinkies.