NiL Tidbit

AuCivilEng1

I saw this posted online and was pretty shocked. This NIL money is going to eventually have to regulate itself or the NFLPA is going to have a conniption. 

IMG_3241.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My guess is that these NIL estimates are overblown, but I agree. You are going to have top guys staying in college rather than leaving for the NFL because the money is better in college 🤷‍♂️

Seems highly unsustainable.

1. What is the value of these NFL players' endorsement deals? That is the closest comparison with NIL. Not saying it's apples to apples, just the best comparator available. 

2. What is the projected total compensation for those NFL players if they have an average year? I don't know about these 3 in particular, but many NFL contracts are laden with performance incentives alongside a relatively low base salary.

• Like 1

Many NFL players typically are paid huge upfront guarantee money, with a base salary that is low. The data presented in this thread are distorted and do not reflect reality. 

1 hour ago, TheDob06 said:

My guess is that these NIL estimates are overblown, but I agree. You are going to have top guys staying in college rather than leaving for the NFL because the money is better in college 🤷‍♂️

Seems highly unsustainable.

Usually not once they get past their rookie contracts. They have to play that rookie contract sometime. Probably better sooner than later, due to injury risk unless they have good risk to push up to 1st round.

unfortunately it’s already too late to get a handle on this … NIL & the transfer portal have ruined college football

agree with the post above though … the signing bonus is where rookies get the big $’s (i.e. guaranteed money) … if Joe or Trevor never play another year both should be set for life 

at some point I hope the NCAA &/or the professional leagues will regulate this circus but I have my doubts

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I saw this posted online and was pretty shocked. This NIL money is going to eventually have to regulate itself or the NFLPA is going to have a conniption. 

IMG_3241.jpeg

That's an absolute horrible attempt to do any analysis. 

Prorated out, Burrow is making nearly 12mm this year with roster and signing bonuses.  That doesn't even account for his massive endorsement deals

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nthemix said:

unfortunately it’s already too late to get a handle on this … NIL & the transfer portal have ruined college football

NIL and the Portal are directly responsible for Auburn being able to win more than 3 games this year. Imma guess you'll enjoy those wins.

CFB hasn't changed one bit. Auburn will play next weekend. The Eagle will fly. We'll have Tiger Walk and nothing is ruined

• Love 2

46 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's an absolute horrible attempt to do any analysis. 

Prorated out, Burrow is making nearly 12mm this year with roster and signing bonuses.  That doesn't even account for his massive endorsement deals

I don’t believe that is the intention of the article/analysis.   The bonus money is already paid.   It doesn’t get put into what a player makes per season because it’s already paid and the player may get cut, released or injured.    I believe it’s a decent way of looking at this NIL situation because let’s face it, Arch Manning hasn’t even played a down in college.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

NIL and the Portal are directly responsible for Auburn being able to win more than 3 games this year. Imma guess you'll enjoy those wins.

CFB hasn't changed one bit. Auburn will play next weekend. The Eagle will fly. We'll have Tiger Walk and nothing is ruined

To say it hasn’t changed one bit seems like a definite stretch to me. It’s also a stretch, to assume NIL and Portal will end it all. I believe it will go on albeit in a different manner than it has in the past. We all should have expected that a smooth transition to some (not all) players legally getting some of their needs met. It is my assumption that at some point, there will be a players union (representing all players) in the mix. Natural transition to me.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I don’t believe that is the intention of the article/analysis.   The bonus money is already paid.   It doesn’t get put into what a player makes per season because it’s already paid and the player may get cut, released or injured.    I believe it’s a decent way of looking at this NIL situation because let’s face it, Arch Manning hasn’t even played a down in college.   

I was not aware that all NIl money is paid out up front. I just probably was not “in the know”.

This makes sense via traditional sports/entertainment economic analysis. It's NOT Capitalism 101, as the US womens soccer team founs out. It's not necessarily what you have done, it's what people will pay to be entertained by you or...your image. Example: 10 years after we sent a man to the moon millions of TV viewers paid to see Evil Knieval "attempt to jump the snake river canyon" in what was essentially a rocket ship. 

Keep in mind these NIL contracts may include things like the NIL fund benefitting from the player's future income e.g. NFL, there's nothing preventing NIL being an invesment.

5 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

You must be an ostrich 

Seriously, what material element of CFB has changed???? Guys getting paid? There are still 85 guys, Auburn still exists. We are playing for a Wset Championship, then the SEC, and a Natty.  Just like literally every other year.

The game us exactly the same. Conference realignment has changed the game more than any related to the players finally getting some money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

The bonus money is part of their annual compensation for thier rookie Contracts. You can't just exclude it then compare it to NIL.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Seriously, what material element of CFB has changed???? Guys getting paid? There are still 85 guys, Auburn still exists. We are playing for a Wset Championship, then the SEC, and a Natty.  Just like literally every other year.

The game us exactly the same. Conference realignment has changed the game more than any related to the players finally getting some money.

For one thing - it's hard to relearn a roster with all of the turn over. Used to be you could follow the kids from freshman to junior or senior year at Auburn. Now it's changing every 6 months.

30 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

For one thing - it's hard to relearn a roster with all of the turn over. Used to be you could follow the kids from freshman to junior or senior year at Auburn. Now it's changing every 6 months.

Let's be real, this change is bc if coaching turn over. NIL and transfers are the sole reason we aren't going to be 3-9 for the next 2 seasons.

This isnt going to continue forever. Once we get settled, we're going to take like 8-10 transfers a year and then 22-25 HS kids. It's not going to be much different. 

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Let's be real, this change is bc if coaching turn over. NIL and transfers are the sole reason we aren't going to be 3-9 for the next 2 seasons.

This isnt going to continue forever. Once we get settled, we're going to take like 8-10 transfers a year and then 22-25 HS kids. It's not going to be much different.

I see what you're saying and don't disagree. But I'm a history nut. I have no idea what's gonna happen positive or negative. I am an AU fan and always will be. But unintended consequences are a real problem that no one anticipates in every new endeavor. I'll be a fan either way. 

WDE and I can't wait to get started.

Edited by JuscAUse!

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We’re not even into it yet. Let’s wait and see.

To have salary caps in CFB you have to have a NFL type players union in place to negotiate a contract. As part of a collective bargaining agreement you are able to negotiate, 1. salary caps, 2. two year contracts, 3. the elimination of 1 year transfers and 4. anything else. Without an agreement the courts will overthrow unilateral NCAA action to restrict the earning power of the individual. In essence, this makes everyone a free agent and that is where we are now. The NCAA mishandled this whole thing and now they want Congress to bail them out with a new Federal law. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

How can anyone argue with what Harbaugh is saying? Treating the players as partners is the obvious long term answer to the current NIL system. The boosters will tire of paying at some point  and the TV money( because fans want to see the players play) will be there to fill the void.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

To have salary caps in CFB you have to have a NFL type players union in place to negotiate a contract. As part of a collective bargaining agreement you are able to negotiate, 1. salary caps, 2. two year contracts, 3. the elimination of 1 year transfers and 4. anything else. Without an agreement the courts will overthrow unilateral NCAA action to restrict the earning power of the individual. In essence, this makes everyone a free agent and that is where we are now. The NCAA mishandled this whole thing and now they want Congress to bail them out with a new Federal law. 

The largest stumbling block to this moving forward (IMO) is the impact to the other University sports. If football players are employees,  so are soccer, tennis, etc.

• Like 3