Playing the 2 QB's reminds me of 2008

TeamZero77

Does anybody else feel like there is no flow whatsoever to our offense and that rotating Thorne and Robby feels exactly like 2008 when The Tony Franklin Project kept rotating Chris Todd and Kodi Burns at QB? 

I'm not trying to be negative at all but the start to this season really feels eerily similar to the beginning of 2008. We won our opening games in 2008, one was the 3-2 win over Mississippi State but you could sense back then that the train was about to leave the tracks any minute. There was no flow to that offense that year and we were winning ugly games we shouldn't have and were in games solely because of that defense. Then we lost to Vandy, Arkansas and the season was headed downhill quickly.

This year so far seems to be like we can't find a flow on offense, our defense is keeping teams out of the endzone enough that we're pulling it out somehow. More so the Cal game but UMass didn't feel "right" even though we won 59-14. I'm just shocked we struggled so bad offensively and our QB play is just average despite having Freeze, Montgomery and Kent Austin as great QB coaches. This offense is nothing like Montgomery and Freeze have had throughout their careers. Are they keeping the playcalling vanilla because we truly don't have a competent enough QB to run Freeze and Montgomery's system? 

The 2 QB thing won't work in my opinion. It's NEVER worked for us, no matter the coach or system. It just feels really similar to 2008's start. I'm worried come SEC play, I'm not gonna lie.

I get what you're saying--most of last night reminded me very much of the Vandy game that year--but the fact that it's coach's first year makes this an apples to...something more different from apples than oranges comparison. We thought we were going to win the SEC West and probably make a BCS bowl that year.

Also we still won 2 SEC games that year so the same amount this year will almost certainly get us to a bowl. 

EDIT: Also, the drive to take the lead showed more capability out of our passing game than any time in 2008.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I get what you're saying--most of last night reminded me very much of the Vandy game that year--but the fact that it's coach's first year makes this an apples to...something more different from apples than oranges comparison. We thought we were going to win the SEC West and probably make a BCS bowl that year.

Also we still won 2 SEC games that year so the same amount this year will almost certainly get us to a bowl. 🤷‍♂️

I remember we beat Mississippi State 3-2 and beat Tennessee 14-12. We struggled against UT Martin that year. I was at the Vandy game in 2008 and College Gameday was there at Vandy. Tony Franklin was fired after that game. I guess I'm just talking about the lack of flow to that 2008 offense and this 2023 offense and how both offenses were swapping the QB's in and out. We have no offensive identity.

I like Thorne but you can tell that Freeze gets frustrated with him and has said it to the sideline reporters both games that Thorne isn't reading things right. During a timeout last night Freeze told the reporter that Payton had thrown to the wrong side of the field twice already and that was late in the 1st qtr I believe. 

I think Freeze knows we currently don't have the stud QB on this roster to run his offense or Montgomery's offense to it's complete strengths. Yes, we will improve but so will every other team. Our O-Line got pushed around by Cal's D-Line. And according to many people here (Bo Nix haters), the PAC 12 absolutely sucks on defense which is why Bo has done well. So did our O-Line get pushed around by a terrible Pac 12 D-Line? Did our offense get shutdown by a bad Pac 12 defense? 

If so, that's a big problem.

• Like 2

I just think swapping out QB's hurts Thorne's confidence. One drive last night, he drove us down to the redzone and then Robby is immediately subbed into the game at QB. They did it all game against UMass too. It kills confidence and rhythm on offense. How can Thorne run a redzone offense when they won't even let him attempt it? 

I believe towards the end of the 3rd quarter, we had 99 yards of total offense for the game and had only ran 7 plays on Cal's side of the field. 

Also, at one point we had 35 seconds on the clock and Thorne is on the field. He stands there until 16 seconds left and then Robby came onto the field. Then with 3 seconds left, we burned a timeout. WTF was that about? 

Some bad calls by the refs, Cal's terrible kicking game and Eugene Asante won us that game.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thorne isn’t a QB that makes the players around him better nor is he going to throw guys open. 2 years ago with his 27 passing TDs and winning 11 games in the second best conference shows you can win with him IF you have the players around him to make him successful. Unfortunately we do not. Our WRs once again are a huge problem. They are just not getting open and suprise suprise not getting any  seperation. Been a problem for several years no matter the coach or different combo of players.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

I think the two qb system will continue until Thorne gets a clue as to what is needed to run this offense. He looked like crap the other night. A lot of current passing game ugliness IMO is the receivers/qbs are not on the same page in route adjustments. Either the passing games gets better or it gets simplified. In either case once the passing game gets going Thorne's role will increase and Ashford role will decrease.

• Like 1

Go back and watch the tape of Hugh announcing Peyton as the starter. It was tentative and unsure at best. He spoke  more about protecting Robby’s reaction than he expressed excitement about his decision to start PT. Very telling and now here we are. Decisions need to be made and soon. My personal opinion: Geriner is the best long term play. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I think the 2 QB's is a symptom rather than the problem. The problem is there isn't a QB the coaches have confidence in. That said, I don't understand putting Robby in on first down if all he is going to do is run.  There isn't a team in the SEC who can't shut down the run if they know it is coming.  And we aren't going to be able to run at all if this passing attack is all we can muster.   I don't understand why Fairweather isn't getting more targets.  The coaches have 2 weeks to come up with a game plan for the players that we have. It's going to be a challenge. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m starting to question the management of the QBs and installing of the new system by our coaches. Thorne has shown what he is capable of as well as Robby. Obviously the two are very different but it doesn’t seem like the coaches have truly made a decision and committed to one of them. I’m hopeful this morning in the coaches meeting that they see that they need to go with a guy and build that guy up. It all starts with the qb and the better he is the better the offense will be. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

My personal opinion: Geriner is the best long term play. 

My question on this point is what do we have that says Geriner is a better option? And I’m truly asking

26 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

My question on this point is what do we have that says Geriner is a better option? And I’m truly asking

We had a full year to assess RA and know he’s not the answer. The main appeal of Thorne was his experience but  so far he’s not shown that to be an advantage at all. We’re looking at a 6 or 7 win season. Go with the guy who has the longest part of his career ahead of him and develop him and the pieces around him. That said, if he’s going to stay with Thorne, stop the 2 QB thing. It ain’t working. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 3

Yep. I haven’t gave up on Thorne, no matter what I want to see Holden run some real drives. The staff wants Thorne to work out because he does have some run ability, which will help make the offense more dynamic. 

• Like 1

Remember Leak/Tebow was an extremely successful dual QB year for UF. There are dozens of examples of both successful and dumpster-fire dual systems. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I just think swapping out QB's hurts Thorne's confidence. One drive last night, he drove us down to the redzone and then Robby is immediately subbed into the game at QB. They did it all game against UMass too. It kills confidence and rhythm on offense. How can Thorne run a redzone offense when they won't even let him attempt it? 

I believe towards the end of the 3rd quarter, we had 99 yards of total offense for the game and had only ran 7 plays on Cal's side of the field. 

Also, at one point we had 35 seconds on the clock and Thorne is on the field. He stands there until 16 seconds left and then Robby came onto the field. Then with 3 seconds left, we burned a timeout. WTF was that about? 

Some bad calls by the refs, Cal's terrible kicking game and Eugene Asante won us that game.

I agree if Thore is the guy , leave him in the whole drive. Everyone and their brother knows the play when Robbie comes in

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Remember Leak/Tebow was an extremely successful dual QB year for UF. There are dozens of examples of both successful and dumpster-fire dual systems. Fingers crossed.

You are correct but our problem is that Thorne isn't Leak and Robby isn't Tebow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

2 years ago with his 27 passing TDs and winning 11 games in the second best conference shows you can win with him IF you have the players around him to make him successful

Cam Coleman is tearing it up at Florida State, too bad we couldn’t land him along with PT

• Thanks 1

I don't get it. Thorne doesn't look great, but he joined the team late, is also playing in a new system and need the reps if he's your starter. 

Robby is, at best, an option QB. That's it. If we're going to run that, run that. If we're going to try and develop a passing attack, we really need to limit this two quarterback mess. I have to wonder if this is a locker room thing. Robby went through a tough year last year with a lot of these guys and Thorne just joined the team, so maybe they just don't want the negativity of completely sidelining Ashford. But we've played two mediocre teams and things are about to ramp up. Option didn't get us much last year and it's not going to get us much this year... plus it is taking a step back from what I suspect Freeze wants to build here. 

You brought Thorne in and named him starter. Give him the job and stop killing the rhythm. We're going to end up depending on our defense too much if it keeps up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here's the thing. Freeze is an excellent football coach, but this mess is entirely on him. He needs to leave Ashford on the bench where he belongs, lighten up on Thorne a little, and let the guy get comfortable. Thorne is trying to learn to be an RPO quarterback, and needs a boost to his confidence. He ain't going to get it with Freeze trotting Ashford out there. Give Thorne the reins, and if it doesn't get better then let Geriner have a shot. Ashford ain't it we know that already. He's a good athlete, but that's as far as it goes. A position change would benefit him in the long run, but making him see it may not be an option. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The QBs, switching QBs,,,  not the problem Saturday.

Fumbles, penalties, atrocious "blocking", poor scheme, poor play calling were the major problems.  The offense was not prepared, not even close.

29 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

The QBs, switching QBs,,,  not the problem Saturday.

Fumbles, penalties, atrocious "blocking", poor scheme, poor play calling were the major problems.  The offense was not prepared, not even close.

He also said a lot of it was on the coaching, so he owned it.

Edited by toddc
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, toddc said:

He also said a lot of it was on the coaching, so he owned it.

I'm more interested in what he does rather than,,, what he says.

The offense Saturday was totally incompetent.  It is fixable.  Fix it.  Start with blocking (OL, receivers, backs).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

You are correct but our problem is that Thorne isn't Leak and Robby isn't Tebow.

That's just one example but 2006 Tebow was used very similarly to 2023 Robbie. Interesting thing about Leak/Tebow success is Tebow didnt throw a TD pass after Sept, his padded all sec frosh TD #s were duck & cover into the endzone from the 3 yd line. Drove dawgs (Stafford) & pigs (Mustain) crazy that their freshmen QBs who actually threw didnt get frosh all sec. Poor babies.

If freeze is calling the successful plays then maybe Montgomery doesn’t need to have as much say in the offense. Don’t know why we have to go through this at this program.