America doesn’t need more God. It needs more atheists.

CoffeeTiger

50 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

“ Creation of man from clay myth”. Thank you Brother Homer and good that you are are not “belittling” or using myth in a derogatory way. Not sure I believe it.

Simply offering my opinion of ICHYs post.

Can you suggest a better term than "myth"?

Did you look up Joseph Campbell?

Edited by homersapien

32 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

So do believe that the parts of the Bible that you’re not on board with are myth (just plain wrong) or allegorical (conveys a more complex truth within a simpler story or message)?

"Not on board with"? Do you believe woman was created from Adam's rib?

Do I really need to say that's "just plain wrong" (false)?

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Do I really need to say that's "just plain wrong" (false)?

No, but you could and just save yourself some typing time.

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

No, but you could and just save yourself some typing time.

Well I suppose that's what I get for being empathetic to one's religious faith and assigning a significance (allegory) to what is literally nonsense.

Your welcome. ;D

Edited by homersapien

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Can you suggest a better term than "myth"?

Did you look up Joseph Campbell?

Use whatever term you care to. I have no suggestions.

Think I will pass on studying Campbell’s work at this time.

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Just as believable as a bang that nothing caused. 

Curious. So if you’re a genesis 6 days creation literalist how does you or your church handle things like dinosaur fossils dated 100m years ago ect? Just trying to understand.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Just as believable as a bang that nothing caused. 

So, shall I take that as a yes?  You believe the biblical account of creation is literally true?

Stop evading the question.  Show some courage for your convictions.

(And no one has ever proposed the big bang was caused by "nothing". :-\)

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I do not feel judged. Told you before that I do not feel it important to accept the Bible as everything literal.

Then why do you continue with the "judgement" assertion?

Why do you seem to be offended?  Why are you taking it personally?  Are you telling the truth?

There’s a lady across the street from us that homeschool’s her kids and teaches them the earth is only like 6,000 years old or something. 

She met us once when we moved in and rudely gossiped about all of our neighbors within five minutes of meeting my wife and I. When asked casually told her we don’t have kids/plan on kids and that I worked for a longstanding Democratic plaintiff’s law firm in town. 

she hasn’t spoken to us since. Dodged a bullet on that one. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Superfluous. 

For you and I, sure, but not people outside the legal field. 

:poke:

Edited by Didba

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

Curious. So if you’re a genesis 6 days creation literalist how does you or your church handle things like dinosaur fossils dated 100m years ago ect? Just trying to understand.

So, shall I take that as a yes?  You believe the biblical account of creation is literally true?

Stop evading the question.  Show some courage for your convictions.

Never claimed to be a 6 day literalist and really do not think it matters. Told you before that God could have created and made it appear anyway he chose.

What I do not believe is that this life and world many of us enjoy evolved out of chances and nothing. 

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Never claimed to be a 6 day literalist and really do not think it matters. Told you before that God could have created and made it appear anyway he chose.

What I do not believe is that this life and world many of us enjoy evolved out of chances and nothing. 

I understand. Thanks

Actually many theoretical physicists have. Hawking, ect.  Most common position. Caused by nothing, came from nothing. There are theories (ie multiverses) that are challenging that.

Edited by auburnatl1

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Thank you. You strike me as capable of understanding.

Not really. Whether some will admit it, we’re all just trying to figure it out. 

28 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I never said you were anything.  I simply asked you a question.

For some unknown reason, you are uncomfortable with - or otherwise refuse - to provide a straightforward response .

You are very inconsistent.   One minute you say God could have made it happen regardless of how it did and the next minute you say you "do not believe" what I presume is your characterization of evolution, which is how it actually did happen.  Therefore, you apparently don't think God did it that way.  Why not?

And again, no one has ever made the claim we evolved from "nothing".  That's a false characterization of how life began on earth.

Bottom line, If you really don't want to discuss this, why do you respond to my posts with comments or questions? :dunno:

Edited by homersapien

20 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Actually many theoretical physicists have. Hawking, ect.  Most common position. Caused by nothing, came from nothing. There are theories (ie multiverses) that are challengiI'ng that.

A quick google search is highly ambiguous as to what he actually meant.

At any rate, it's highly debatable and certainly not worth being cited as scientific "fact".

https://www.quantamagazine.org/physicists-debate-hawkings-idea-that-the-universe-had-no-beginning-20190606/

Edited by homersapien

It all comes down to interpretation of observable facts. Whose interpretation is correct is where the camps part ways. Here, the observable fact is the fossil. A non-creationist might interpret the fossil as a record of evolutionary history of life from 100m years ago. On the other hand a 6 day (or even 6 millisecond, for that matter) creationist might interpret it as representing a broad sequence of rapid burial by a global flood--hence, the observable fact would not contradict the underlying creationist theory. What about fossil organisms out of sequence with their supposed evolutionary history, or soft tissue within organisms that purportedly died out a million years ago? These latter observations comport with a creationist view. 

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

It all comes down to interpretation of observable facts. Whose interpretation is correct is where the camps part ways. Here, the observable fact is the fossil. A non-creationist might interpret the fossil as a record of evolutionary history of life from 100m years ago. On the other hand a 6 day (or even 6 millisecond, for that matter) creationist might interpret it as representing a broad sequence of rapid burial by a global flood--hence, the observable fact would not contradict the underlying creationist theory. What about fossil organisms out of sequence with their supposed evolutionary history, or soft tissue within organisms that purportedly died out a million years ago? These latter observations comport with a creationist view. 

So I take it you reject the science of geology?

• Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I'd need to research that. Got a link?

I don't see how anything could come from "nothing" by the definition of "nothing". 

If there is no space or time theres literally and absolutely nothing. In fact to mathematically make the first moment of the bang to work you have to violate the speed of light. There’s a reason CERN and Fermi have developed concepts like the “God particle” - the further in we go in, the less “scientific” it gets. Even relativity and quantum physics contradict each other.  And both are the state of art explanations of the physical world.  Here’s one link to one “nothing” theory.

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/universe-nothing/

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a six day creationist believer, and yes, woman was made from man’s rib. Those are tasks within the capability of God to perform. I believe the dating systems use are erroneous for various reasons. More can be found out at the Institute of Creation Research. There is evidence out there of a young earth.  Virgin water, moon dust, living creatures that date millions of years old but are alive and only a few months old. Why are there no transitional life forms? Why do you think science tries so hard to prove evolution theory. They can’t but force it on us anyway. Why build Atomic accelerators trying to find the God particle (their words). So they can finally prove that there is no God, no supernatural being involved. So many unknowns that can’t be explained. An all powerful God explains it all.