America doesn’t need more God. It needs more atheists.

CoffeeTiger

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Funny, I worry more about the ones who do not hear god's voice.

God in book form seems more destructive than god in spirit, particularly if you truly hold to a god of love and peace.

Not sure I agree with that.  There are many more versus in the Bible that reference love than hate or war.  But at the same time, the Bible is pretty clear on what is right and wrong, and contrary to today’s culture, it doesn’t hesitate to rebuke what is wrong.  

The Bible is the anchor.  If the love of Jesus was only passed from generation to generation through the eyes of man, it would absolutely become skewed by man.  The Bible is the anchor point to stop man from skewing the Word even further. 

Edited by GoAU
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, GoAU said:

the Bible is pretty clear on what is right and wrong

Totally disagree.  The bible has been used to justify atrocity after atrocity.  It is often the tool of man, serving those who seek the world, serving power, serving our worst instincts.

The only hope for humanity is the love of Jesus.  In that,,, there is no confusion.

The bible is not the cornerstone of Christianity.  The love of Jesus is.

Making God a book written by men is a mistake.  Diminishing Jesus with the bible is unfortunately fundamental to organized "christianity".

You can lose Jesus in christianity, in the bible.  Jesus in your heart is a much, much more important.  Jesus in our hearts is everything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

What the heck?  “Subhuman”.  How can someone talk about the grace of jesus one minute and use a gross term like that the next?  Hurts my head.

The op was not about Islam btw.

True. It went there thanks to homer. Who beheads babies and children? Sounds subhuman to me. Maybe that is a bad term for them. You might reclassify them if they had beheaded your daughter or granddaughter who was at a music festival or the park.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Think I have been pretty clear. Regardless of how we got here God is responsible. Your opinion differs from my understanding.

What makes you say that?  What is your understanding of my opinion?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

True. It went there thanks to homer. Who beheads babies and children? Sounds subhuman to me. Maybe that is a bad term for them. You might reclassify them if they had beheaded your daughter or granddaughter who was at a music festival or the park.

People who think those babies and children are "subhuman".

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think if you are born and raised in a place where 95-99% of the population believe in a particular ideology (Middle East-Islam, India-Hindu, Japan-atheist, Mexico-Catholic) your would be 95-99% likely to follow that ideology. You don’t believe that?

Not just "follow", but embrace as a fundamentalist with extreme conviction that infidels are subhuman and destined for damnation. ;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

Exactly. It's pure allegory.

Which is what makes your apparent belief in creationism rather odd.

Well, I also believe that God isn’t constrained by time. Whether he created earth in six calendar days or six trillion calendar years matters not to me. Adhering to one view or the other is not an essential tenant of faith, nor does it belie the claims made throughout the Old and New Testament.

In my view, the resurrection is the most “foolish” account in the Bible. Again, the wise just will not have anything to do with miracles. 

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Totally disagree.  The bible has been used to justify atrocity after atrocity.  It is often the tool of man, serving those who seek the world, serving power, serving our worst instincts.

The only hope for humanity is the love of Jesus.  In that,,, there is no confusion.

The bible is not the cornerstone of Christianity.  The love of Jesus is.

Making God a book written by men is a mistake.  Diminishing Jesus with the bible is unfortunately fundamental to organized "christianity".

You can lose Jesus in christianity, in the bible.  Jesus in your heart is a much, much more important.  Jesus in our hearts is everything.

I completely agree that the love of Jesus is absolutely critical, atonement and his sacrifice for us IS the cornerstone.   But to disregard the Bible is a huge mistake.  Just because something is used by evil people does not diminish its importance in what it is intended for.  A hammer in the hands of an evil man can be an instrument of evil, in the hands of a skilled craftsman it can provide a home - this doesn’t make a hammer a bad thing.  

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

I completely agree that the love of Jesus is absolutely critical, atonement and his sacrifice for us IS the cornerstone.   But to disregard the Bible is a huge mistake.  Just because something is used by evil people does not diminish its importance in what it is intended for.  A hammer in the hands of an evil man can be an instrument of evil, in the hands of a skilled craftsman it can provide a home - this doesn’t make a hammer a bad thing.  

I never said it was a bad thing.

I said it has been used over and over again to justify atrocities.

It reveals the spirit of Jesus.  It is not a book of rules used for power and control. 

But yes, like a hammer, it can be good or, bad depending upon how it is used.  I would caution those who use it as a weapon.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I never said it was a bad thing.

I said it has been used over and over again to justify atrocities.

It reveals the spirit of Jesus.  It is not a book of rules used for power and control. 

But yes, like a hammer, it can be good or, bad depending upon how it is used.  I would caution those who use it as a weapon.

Completely agree with your post, and my apologies for misunderstanding your point on the Bible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

You implied all Muslims. I stand corrected.   I agree those who committed that atrocities are monsters. I tend to stay clear of the subhuman term - last time is was used to classify a group of people was to justify the holocaust. 

• Like 2

I agree with this.  I have met numerous followers of the Muslim faith that are / were fine human beings.   I also think as a percentage, there are more militant radicals and a cultural tolerance of the radicals in the Muslim faith than others.  But, as all things related to stereotyping people - it’s important not to fall into that trap.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

You implied all Muslims. I stand corrected.   I agree those who committed that atrocities are monsters. I tend to stay clear of the subhuman term - last time is was used to classify a group of people was to justify the holocaust. 

Understood. Good advice.

On 10/14/2023 at 4:43 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Thank you for a change. When the Bible is mentioned your normal is to rant about people thinking it is God.

Well a significant number of people thinks it's literally the "word of God" which is the same thing.

Maybe ICHY is addressing them.

19 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well a significant number of people thinks it's literally the "word of God" which is the same thing.

Big difference Homer.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Almost all Christians  do. Divine inspiration. Now whether   each ancient passage  should be interpreted literally is debated. A lot.

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Almost all Christians  do. Divine inspiration. Now whether   each ancient passage  should be interpreted literally is debated. A lot.

How to interpret ancient passages is not the point. The Bible makes that pretty clear.

41 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

How to interpret ancient passages is not the point. The Bible makes that pretty clear.

Skipping the literal vs allegorical argument, unless you read ancient Hebrew and Aramaic (Old Testament) and early Greek (New Testament) youre reading scripture that someone recently translated into modern English. And there’s challenges with that. Which is why there’s over 50 English translation versions of the Bible. However, I understand and respect the essence of your point.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You need to think about. Don’t play dumb.

No, if you are going to push me on an obvious statement - how does the bible (Christians) influence US Israel policy- I get to push you concerning an esoteric distinction - without a difference - such as this.  Fair is fair.

Explain to me the "big difference" between worshiping the Bible and believing it is literally the word of God.

Edited by homersapien

16 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Exactly.  And as we have seen, plenty of those believe it should be interpreted literally as the "word God".

Edited by homersapien