Quick Caudle Interview

SCWarEagle

He watching the Hoover/Nease game and some ridiculously cute chick interviewed him on the sidelines. He was wearing his AU T-shirt and talking up Coach Borges and the gameday atmosphere in Auburn.

Not much to it, but he's our boy now. Isn't it great to watch HS football on ESPN?

The Spain Park-Hoover game will be broadcast by CSS Sept. 16 I intend to tune in to check him out live. They put it on Auburn High this past Friday.

Put it on Auburn High? Not hardly. I'm not from here, so I'm not defending them, but didn't Spain Park come from behind to win 27-21? That's just what I heard.

E

I'm from Oak Ridge, TN... www.oakridgefootball.net

Spain Park won 35-27

SPAIN PARK 35, AUBURN 27

Caudle, Jaguars come back, defeat Auburn

By KATHERINE VEACH

BIRMINGHAM POST-HERALD

Spain Park coach Vince DiLorenzo said it was the best comeback he's seen in 26 years of football. After Auburn scored two touchdowns on their first two plays of the game, things looked bleak for the Jaguars. But the home team came back in the fourth to beat the Tigers 35-27 and earn their first victory of the season.

Spain Park quarterback Neil Caudle was in a tough spot after the Tigers scored their first two touchdowns, both on 58-yard runs from the Auburn 42. A third score, which brought the Tigers to 21-0 during the first, seemed to seal the deal for visiting Auburn.

The first came with 10:09 remaining in the quarter as junior running back Marcus Matthews scampered into the end zone, with teammate and senior quarterback Dominique Reese keeping the ball for a second 58-yard sprint with 7:41 to go. Reese scored again on a keeper with a nine-yard sprint, and the Tigers were comfortably ahead of their opponents.

Caudle, who has committed to Auburn for college play, said that at that moment, he was thinking, "I've got to get them [his team] fired up somehow. I didn't think we were playing with that killer instinct. But that first touchdown got things going."

The Jaguars got that first touchdown on a 34-yard pass from Caudle to junior wide receiver Justin Diliberto with 1:42 to go in the first. The Spain Park defense kept the Tigers scoreless throughout the second quarter, then the offense started the comeback by adding another touchdown with less than a minute to go. Caudle found senior wide receiver Adam Mims, with his arm still in a cast from a recent car wreck, on a 41-yard pass to bring the score to 21-13 and inch closer to the Auburn lead.

A four-yard run with 6:36 in the third by sophomore running back Eli Smith closed the gap even more for Spain Park, with the score sitting at 21-19, still in favor of the Tigers. Spain Park finally gained the lead with 0:38 to go in the third on a field goal by sophomore wide receiver Trey DelGreco.

Auburn returned the favor in the fourth, scoring once more, but two late-quarter touchdowns by Spain Park earned the Jaguars the win.

"You've just got to say that this team played with heart," said DiLorenzo. "I couldn't be any prouder of them right now."

Spain Park plays Oak Mountain in a region game next Friday.

B'ham News

At least we know Caudle has some heart and some fight in him!!! Sounds like he is going to be all he was cracked up to be.

Archived