2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I hope I eat these words. But , currently, we absolutely SUCK at working the transfer portal. It's like Freeze is clueless. It's astounding. 

Weird because only a year ago people were saying he had one of, if not the best transfer portal classes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am being to change my mind and think.......go all in and get Cam Ward for the 1 year to stabilize things.  It will boost morale.  It will increase chances of getting RW.  It will likely ensure that you have a better product on the field (all we are asking for is progress from year to year until we are competing with the big dogs again).  Pay the money.  He has not signed an agent yet, making it possible.  I believe he would listen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

We will soon find out if portal or HS recruiting is more important. I’m leaning towards the art of portaling  being the more important factor for success. 

It’s getting to point where I think portaling is more important. Peoples always say it’s important to build with HS guys and use the portal to fill in the rest but HS guys can leave too. It’s not a guarantee they’ll stay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

It’s getting to point where I think portaling is more important. Peoples always say it’s important to build with HS guys and use the portal to fill in the rest but HS guys can leave too. It’s not a guarantee they’ll stay

The majority of your team is going to be HS guys. The better those guys are, the easier it is for the portal guys to come in and have success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arein0 said:

The majority of your team is going to be HS guys. The better those guys are, the easier it is for the portal guys to come in and have success.

I agree with this. Hugh had to hit HS recruiting hard at some point to help build a young foundation. The only issue is majority of our 2024 HS commits won’t have any type of impact until their sophomore season at the very least

7 hours ago, roe4christ said:

DC gone

Hadn't seen this, where is it reported?

I've only seen a few NIL contracts but it's odd why those didnt look more like coach agreements - you can leave after signing but your new home pays our sunk costs in negotiating (sorry, recruiting) you to Auburn. 

7 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Weird because only a year ago people were saying he had one of, if not the best transfer portal classes. 

Very strange to me too. 

With the possibility of Scott leaving, somebody probably needs to pick up the phone and try to mend things with AJ Harris. We have a CB spot open up, so why not? 

24 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Thorne is sitting in his apartment,  laughing  his butt off. 🤣 

Maybe but it’s likely an uneasy laugh. 

IMG_0911.gif

27 minutes ago, Mksdvm2nd said:

With the possibility of Scott leaving, somebody probably needs to pick up the phone and try to mend things with AJ Harris. We have a CB spot open up, so why not? 

We’re in need for multiple CB if Scott does end up leaving 

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Very strange to me too. 

The only thing that makes sense to me is that he had a pot of NIL money to spend. It's now all gone on that high school class.  Freeze didn't forget how to talk to people.  If NIL doesn't get somewhat under control with some common sense rules, college football is going to suck. Open bidding on every player every year would bankrupt the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

The only thing that makes sense to me is that he had a pot of NIL money to spend. It's now all gone on that high school class.  Freeze didn't forget how to talk to people.  If NIL doesn't get somewhat under control with some common sense rules, college football is going to suck. Open bidding on every player every year would bankrupt the NFL.

That's absolutely true. 

In this case, I meant people questioning CHF and the portal after signing the top class less than a year ago (minus Colorado' entire 85 man roster) and a top 10 HS class this cycle.  That's strange to me.

A lot of Now Now Now has metastasized our societies. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Maybe but it’s likely an uneasy laugh. 

IMG_0911.gif

Why uneasy? Who's gonna be brought in to challenge him

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In this case, I meant people questioning CHF and the portal after signing the top class less than a year ago (minus Colorado' entire 85 man roster) and a top 10 HS class this cycle.  That's strange to me.

To be fair, that top 5 portal class on paper from last year didn't materialize that way on the field.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's absolutely true. 

A lot of Now Now Now has metastasized our societies. 

My criticism is simple. He can't make his mind up. First he's all in on Thorne, then a week later he seems to pivot to he needs a QB. Did he just realize this after the bowl game? He has a 13 game sample size to judge Thorne.     Now he is scrambling to find a QB. 

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Why uneasy? Who's gonna be brought in to challenge him

At this point who knows, but if I thought that my boss, or coach in this case, was checking out other options for my position I’d feel a little uneasy if I knew the only option might be demotion. He has to know what’s going on and he did nothing but lose traction in the bowl game. 

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

We should have went after KJ Jefferson.  Rented him for a year and called it a day.

Jefferson is not a fix all.  

I’m starting to think our $90 million spend on the FOF facility was as poorly timed as possible. For several years, recruiting sites reported that we had fallen behind in facilities and were losing recruits because of it. Finally we invested over $90 million in a best in class facility and it doesn’t seem to be a major factor in recruiting at all. Guys transferring from schools like UGA, OSU, and Bama aren’t even bothering visiting AU, while taking their talents to the likes of Purdue, Syracuse, and Ole Miss. In hind sight, we could’ve used that facility money on NIL and benefitted more much more. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Jefferson is not a fix all.  

Not better than Thorne? 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m starting to think our $90 million spend on the FOF facility was as poorly timed as possible. For several years, recruiting sites reported that we had fallen behind in facilities and were losing recruits because of it. Finally we invested over $90 million in a best in class facility and it doesn’t seem to be a major factor in recruiting at all. Guys transferring from schools like UGA, OSU, and Bama aren’t even bothering visiting AU, while taking their talents to the likes of Purdue, Syracuse, and Ole Miss. In hind sight, we could’ve used that facility money on NIL and benefitted more much more. 

You may be on to something. Possibly a few steps behind in the portal/nil program building aspect.