The sky is not falling!

AURex

I get what you’re saying, and generally agree. I think what’s most disappointing is the complete ineptitude offensively. I think most would be fine if we gave up more points defensively and had an offensive identity/competency. I think what makes it so hard is we all assumed the opposite of what we’re seeing: some offensive fireworks and the inability to stop anyone. What we’re actually seeing is giving some whiplash (or maybe me, at least), where we can stop almost anyone but can barely move the ball. 

I guess the upside is they say defense wins championships. So at least we’ve got that going for us and some of that foundation in place. 

• Like 2

I am impressed that the defense is not only good, but playing their hearts out for our team. They are busting butt and they are impressing me every week, even when the offense is putrid (which is most of the time). The defense earns my respect every week, especially guys like Asante and Harris, who truly shine.

I'm just saying that, in terms of projections for the season, most fans kinda expected us to be right where were are at present. I predict (and sure do hope) that the NEXT few weeks will be fun to watch for us Auburn fans. WDE!

• Like 1

While people can be unhappy with the 2 QB thing, the plays called or this or that, most people predicted a 7-6 or 6-6 season. Well this is what a 6 or 7 win team looks like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AURex said:

Before the season began, I had my expectations for the first year with CHF and his staff and the totally rebuilt team consisting of a huge number of transfers. My prediction was --

UMass - W
Cal - W
Samford - W
A&M - L
UGA - L
LSU - L
Ole Miss - L
Miss St -- W
Vandy - W
Arkansas - W
NM State - W
Bama - L

So my prediction was (and remains) a 7-5 season. To me, not bad for a total rebuild after Potato Famine. I know for many here on AUF, this is not good enough, but hey, we all have our own expectations, right?

Have I been happy watching Auburn lose? No. Have I been disappointed in the play of many of the portal guys? Yes? Would I have liked better performance and more wins? Of Course!

But in terms of our W-L record, we are exactly where I expected we would be. It has been a rough few weeks and I've cried and squirmed just like everyone else here.

But the sky is not falling. I believe that Auburn will finish 7-5 in the first year of the CHF era. A bowl game is coming.

And the future -- well, yes, more rebuilding. But I am patient. Many here at AUF are not. I'm willing to give CHF his opportunity.

Well said. We had a 3 game stretch where we played the nations #1 and #11 teams and arguably the nations best offense in LSU. Now we’re getting ready to play the SECs 3 worst teams. We will likely be favored in our next 4 games. Make it to the Iron Bowl 7-4 and people will feel much better about things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Again, for me, it's the How.  All in, but I'm seeing a lot of Flex seal 

The key is to look like you meant to do it.

IMG_0699.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AURex said:

Before the season began, I had my expectations for the first year with CHF and his staff and the totally rebuilt team consisting of a huge number of transfers. My prediction was --

UMass - W
Cal - W
Samford - W
A&M - L
UGA - L
LSU - L
Ole Miss - L
Miss St -- W
Vandy - W
Arkansas - W
NM State - W
Bama - L

So my prediction was (and remains) a 7-5 season. To me, not bad for a total rebuild after Potato Famine. I know for many here on AUF, this is not good enough, but hey, we all have our own expectations, right?

Have I been happy watching Auburn lose? No. Have I been disappointed in the play of many of the portal guys? Yes? Would I have liked better performance and more wins? Of Course!

But in terms of our W-L record, we are exactly where I expected we would be. It has been a rough few weeks and I've cried and squirmed just like everyone else here.

But the sky is not falling. I believe that Auburn will finish 7-5 in the first year of the CHF era. A bowl game is coming.

And the future -- well, yes, more rebuilding. But I am patient. Many here at AUF are not. I'm willing to give CHF his opportunity.

Very much agree.  The only thing missing for me is to win one we were supposed to lose.  We have one more chance.  Of course, we still have a chance to lose one we're supposed to win, which would send a lot of people over the edge for good.

It's been real hard to watch the past four games, and the hole was deeper than I realized, but I believe in CHF and Auburn.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Again, for me, it's the How.  All in, but I'm seeing a lot of Flex seal 

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

The sky isn't falling yet, but I can't deny my Saturday's feel a lot like this right now:

image.gif.873a36f5773149c7e9d0c069dc4046c1.gif

Still mentally recovering from the last disappointing game, just to see our offense over there smiling ready to disappoint me again. 😂

• Haha 1

Bruce Pearl was 26-40 his first two years at Auburn. 11-20 in year two. Our patience paid off there and I believe it will for CHF. They are similar in their charisma and recruiting prowess. We are more traumatized by the Potato Head regime than we realize, which is creating accelerated (and understandable) angst. I’m ready for this team to go on a 4 game winking streak and wash off some of the stench. 

• Like 1

Before the season began, almost everybody on this board said they didn't mind losses this year because it's a rebuild, as long as we see improvement from week to week. We aren't improving and that's primarily on our coaches. Mainly Hugh.

The total ineptitude on offense is puzzling and embarrassing. Just absolutely stupid playcalling and decisions on the side of the ball that our HC is supposed to be a guru at. 

Losses are fine with most all of our fans because we know we're rebuilding. But our HC looks lost. And everybody blaming the lack of talent, why is defense able to hang in games and they're doing it with alot of key injuries as well? 

Defense is good enough to win games. Special teams as far as kicking and punting are good. The one phase of the game that we totally suck in is the only phase of the game our HC truly has a huge hand in and that's offense. 

Why does everybody think that talent will immediately turn this around? Jimbo has s*** the bed with top talent because he is inept on offense. Hugh Freeze looks worse with his coaching of offense than Jimbo has. Texas has always had top talent. They don't do Jack squat with it either. Talent won't get us where we want to be if our HC continues looking like a Group of 5 coach that he's mainly been his whole career.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

And quit blaming Gus and Harsin for everything that goes wrong!! That's always been the Auburn way is when things go bad, blame the previous HC. Gus and Harsin aren't calling dumbass double passes with Holden Geriner. Also, if you know anything about Freeze's playcalling everywhere he has been, that's a favorite play of his but it never works. 

All we heard was how Hugh flipped nearly the entire roster over through HS and portal recruiting. Well, if it's a talent issue, that's mainly Hugh's players he recruited. Thorne is his guy. WR's are mainly his recruits. O-Line are his recruits. DE are his recruits. 

How the heck is that a Gus or Harsin problem? It's the easy go-to excuse is all it is. Everybody needs to hold Hugh accountable for alot of this mess but he just gets passes. All we heard was Gus can't develop QB's. Well guess what? Thorne is 10x's worse under Freeze than he has ever been. But nobody blames Hugh. Our QB's are worse than when Harsin was here. Hugh's side of the ball is terrible and it's the only phase of the game he actually puts him hands on. The other 2 phases are good enough to be 6-1 right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

You know it’s a bad season when these sort of posts are created. 

Yep when you start seeing threads like these or the ones that’s calling out fans on how to be “better fans” then you know things are rough for your program 

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AURex said:

UMass - W
Cal - W
Samford - W
A&M - L
UGA - L
LSU - L
Ole Miss - L
Miss St -- W
Vandy - W
Arkansas - W
NM State - W
Bama - L

How can you say that!!!   Have you seen my picks in the touchdown Auburn bowl lately!   Imagine yellow ink :)

55 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I think "they" mean championship caliber defense win championships, not any defense with a pulse win championships.

This is true! I don’t know that I’d say we quite have a championship-caliber defense, but it ain’t that far off, maybe an A- …but our defense definitely has more than a pulse.

Going toe-to-toe with UGA and OM and some higher-caliber offenses is nothing to shake a stick at, especially as awful as our offense has been. LSU’s been the lone exception.

2 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

This is true! I don’t know that I’d say we quite have a championship-caliber defense, but it ain’t that far off, maybe an A- …but our defense definitely has more than a pulse.

Going toe-to-toe with UGA and OM and some higher-caliber offenses is nothing to shake a stick at, especially as awful as our offense has been. LSU’s been the lone exception.

I suppose so.

The problem for a championship scenario is depth.  The defense is eventually going to get worn down against any really good team we play.

• Like 1

Just now, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I suppose so.

The problem for a championship scenario is depth.  The defense is eventually going to get worn down against any really good team we play.

Absolutely. Especially b/c the offense doesn’t perform enough to give them time to rest. 

13 hours ago, AURex said:

UMass - W
Cal - W
Samford - W
A&M - L
UGA - L
LSU - L
Ole Miss - L
Miss St -- W
Vandy - W
Arkansas - W
NM State - W
Bama - L

Ok. I'll remember you said this

The issue is how we’ve lost….outside of the WR position let’s not kid ourselves with idea that talents lacking on this team. Only pass I’m giving on ANY unit is the defensive front just bc of depth and how horrid the offense has been. 

Yeah, a four game losing streak at this point was always a known possibility for this season and well it happened. 

Defense has probably been better than many thought in pre-season, but on the other hand the offense has been far worse than most would have anticipated. 

A good showing against Miss State and a W on the board should calm things down among the fanbase I think. 

If you're an optimist and we end up losing to Miss State on Saturday....you might want to stay away from any fan forums/ Auburn social media for a while. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1