2025 4* QB Ryan Montgomery

Paladin

27 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Kinda hope they get Kj Lacey instead

I want whoever is better. If you want Lacey strictly for Ryan Williams, RW may be i college a year before Lacey.

11 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

In state guy, rated higher

I get that. A kid could be from Mongolia or Mars I don’t care. I want a leader who loves Auburn and wants to be the general on the field and do great things for the program. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just my thoughts. I would have liked to see him get rid of the ball a bit sooner. You don’t have time to just sit back in the SEC and wait for your first receiver to get open. 
Seems to be a recurring issue with AU QB’s lately. Of course, a better OL could help too.

It's frustrating to watch other teams where quarterbacks seem to have all the time in the world. If one of our QB's had that kind of protection a yellow flag would drop for sure.

• Like 1

Maybe he can sweet talk his brother Luke into transferring here if he ends up at Auburn. 😬

He was one of the top Oline in the last class.  

• Like 3

Rivals250 QB: Auburn '100% in the mix'

Caleb Jones • AuburnSports

Staff

@CalebJ_Rivals

In August, 2025 quarterback Ryan Montgomery released his top five schools.

His top programs were Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Michigan and Penn State. However, there's a new program that's back in the mix following a game day visit — the Auburn Tigers.

Montgomery made the trip from Findlay, Ohio, to the Plains Saturday for an unofficial visit and it was well worth it for the Rivals250 QB.

"This was my first time here and it definitely bumped them up on the list," Montgomery said. "They’re 100% in the mix now and I’m just looking forward to keep establishing this relationship and keep growing this relationship."

Auburn scored touchdowns on its first two drives of the game, using the passing game to score, which caught the eye of Montgomery.

"I loved how aggressive Payton (Thorne) was out of the gate," Montgomery said. "I loved how aggressive the play calling was and it was just a really great time."

The Tigers won the game 27-13, their first conference win under head coach Hugh Freeze, and the SEC environment provided by Jordan Hare Stadium impressed the No. 150 player in the nation.

"It was everything I expected and more," Montgomery said. "SEC environment, doesn’t get much better than that. In the SEC, there’s no such thing as a gimme game. You’re gonna play the best competition every week in the SEC. I loved the environment, I loved the atmosphere."

Before the game, Montgomery had a chance to meet one-on-one with Freeze, who explained the need for a quarterback in the 2025 class.

"He just reiterated that I’m one of their top guys and that they really need a quarterback," Montgomery said. "The 2025 class is crucial for quarterback. I’m one of their top guys, so that was pretty cool."

Most quarterbacks tend to make early decisions and Montgomery might not be incredibly far off from his.

"The ideal time for me would be sometime in the winter, so I’m thinking like February," Montgomery said. "So many things can change, so I’m not gonna rush anything but that would be the ideal time. Whenever I feel most comfortable."

What sticks out about Auburn to the 6-foot-3, 200-pound quarterback?

"The logo, it’s a huge brand," Montgomery said. "SEC powerhouse. Coach Freeze just told me they’re gonna get back to that point and by the way the 2024 class is going, I think that’s gonna happen."

Montgomery noted that a return to Auburn could happen later this year or in January for a junior day.

When I lived in Ohio, it seemed every top tier h.s. football player statewide wanted to play for Ohio St or Notre Dame. Second rate players wanted Pitt, Wisco or some Midwestern school. You virtually never heard of a primo QB WANTING to leave the region. Great job by Freeze & co making what appears to be inroads up there.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

When I lived in Ohio, it seemed every top tier h.s. football player statewide wanted to play for Ohio St or Notre Dame. Second rate players wanted Pitt, Wisco or some Midwestern school. You virtually never heard of a primo QB WANTING to leave the region. Great job by Freeze & co making what appears to be inroads up there.

They may be Yankees but I will take anyone from Ohio or Pennsylvania. Two great football states. This is wonderful to see.

Kids outside the South know about Auburn but have rarely experienced it. That's the difference.  I know The Game will be massive and I'm sure he'll be there, but it would be great to see him come back for the Iron Bowl.

46 minutes ago, woodford said:

Someone get him down to Nashville on Saturday. It's not that far a drive for him!

Unless the rules have changed, I don't think that you can host recruits at a road game, but I may be incorrect. 

32 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Unless the rules have changed, I don't think that you can host recruits at a road game, but I may be incorrect. 

I know I’m just posting useless forum banter lol I would like to see more from this kid. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, woodford said:

I know I’m just posting useless forum banter lol I would like to see more from this kid. 

I think that correctly characterizes all of my posts (historical and future). Lol

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:23 AM, gctiger said:

Technically you can’t….but recruits can get tickets through various ways, like Perry Thompson did for the Texas A&M game.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, woodford said:

Guess this kid will be in Ann Arbor on Saturday?

@woodford Maybe to see a big time game that close to home but I doubt he has a committable offer from either team now. Both have QBs committed for the 2025 class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1