Is it a bad look that we always fire coordinators?

TeamZero77

If the rumors are true, we will probably be moving on from our coordinators at the end of this season. So I went back to 2018 and we've had a different OC every year since then. Since 2018 we've had Chip Lindsay, Kenny Dillingham, Chad Morris, Mike Bobo, Eric Kiesau, Will Friend as interim OC and now Phillip Montgomery. So if we fire Monty, next year will be our 8th different OC in 7 years.

On defense, Kevin Steele was great, imo. Hell, Saban has him as his DC now for the 2nd time. Steele recruited well and was the reason we were always in ballgames for 4 quarters. He was here 5 years then Derek Mason, Jeff Schmedding and now Roberts. Btw, I don't think Ron Roberts should be fired. If not for his defense,  this team would look like a D-III team. 

During all of these changes, we are on our 3rd HC but it's still alot of the same problems we've always had and even worse now in alot of areas.

So 2 questions: Do y'all think the ultimate problem is beyond coaching staffs or talent and may be how the program is ran as a whole? And why can we never get an OC to work? This spans multiple head coaches. It has to effect recruiting decisions by alot of these kids. 

When you really look back several years and how many coaches leave or get fired and players leave in the portal, it looks like we are in a Nebraska, Texas, Tennessee like mess. It's got to be from higher up I think.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, woodford said:

I hope we don’t fire Roberts

If we do, I don’t think it will have anything to do with performance on the field.  If the rumors are to be believed, then it’s personality conflicts.  

I don’t think he fires either coordinator. I think Freeze believes its a mesh issue (meshing new coaches with new systems). Defense has not had to mesh Roberts system between him and a defensive HC (this has complicated the offensive side IMO). One caveat to the above thoughts is the deal between Roberts and DB coach. I don’t know enough about that to determine impact. Will definitely be an expensive move though.

• Like 1

Roberts hasn't done anything to get fired as far as coaching and game play.

Montgomery hasn't done anything to show he deserves the job  

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don’t think Roberts will get fired. The OC should be gone pronto however . 

I hope this is how it plays out too. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

So 2 questions: Do y'all think the ultimate problem is beyond coaching staffs or talent and may be how the program is ran as a whole? And why can we never get an OC to work? This spans multiple head coaches. It has to effect recruiting decisions by alot of these kids. 

The OC merry go-round started after Rhett Lashlee left.  Before Gus, Chizik had Gus and his next OC in 2012 was a complete failure and Gene was gone.  Gus hunted for an OC that he could work with as well as he did with Rhett, never found one, and then his time ran out.  We hire Harsin and he, as any coach would, is going to fire his OC before taking the blame.  In my opinion it was the coaches.

Freeze, in hiring Montgomery, took a chance and no matter what happened Freeze was going to get a pass this year.  Freeze seems to prioritize recruiting even before wins this season.  Freeze, if he turns Montgomery loose, he hired Kent Austin who was his co-offensive coordinator/QB coach at Liberty and is familiar with Kent and trusts him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Freeze, if he turns Montgomery loose, he hired Kent Austin who was his co-offensive coordinator/QB coach at Liberty and is familiar with Kent and trusts him.

Kent say hi to Rett. Rett say hi to Kent 

Is it a bad look that we always fire coordinators?

Who cares what the look is? Just get it right! Monty needs to go. Roberts can stay but needs to get more aggresive with his scheme, especially if we get more depth on D next year.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Going to cost a bunch

Glad it's not my $... Although I wish I had that problem

• Haha 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

If we let OC go. He will be owed his full contract.

Who is going to plant the cocaine and hookers for cause ?! Mel Tucker his ass. J/K.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Going to cost a bunch

Something around 2.25 million if I understand it. I don’t mean this as a shot to Freeze anymore than anyone else but the buyouts for mistake hires need to come out of the HC salary, at least partially. Personality clashes are one thing but looking inept in your role is something else completely. 

Edited by gr82be

Auburn football hasn't looked good to the outside football world in a long time. Why care about this now? Get it right. If we need to save money, make Hugh run the offense. You know, like he kinda should be doing more of now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Who cares what the look is? Just get it right! Monty needs to go. Roberts can stay but needs to get more aggresive with his scheme, especially if we get more depth on D next year.

I can't WAIT to see what CRR does with more depth. 

51 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Something around 2.25 million if I understand it. I don’t mean this as a shot to Freeze anymore than anyone else but the buyouts for mistake hires need to come out of the HC salary, at least partially. Personality clashes are one thing but looking inept in your role is something else completely. 

The school wipes their you know what with $2.25M. 

• Like 1

In the past, maybe not right now, but I think offensive minded HCs may just have a hard time meshing with their OC staff?  That may be why we’ve had so many in the last decade. 

I DGAS about optics at Auburn anymore.  That was thrown out the window for me back around 2018 when that kook Josh Moon and JTate were reporting the play-by-play directly from the athletic department, saying Harbert was meeting with Gus (while Leath was out of town) trying to negotiate a buyout reduction because Gus was getting fired.  Then the Sunny Golloway and Clint Myers’ embarrassing headlines.

Bad optics are an Auburn tradition like the eagle flying on game day in JHS. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Wait so the DC may have personality conflicts too? With who? Who are the coaches getting into it with?

Roberts and Mcgriff supposedly got into it which led to Mcgriffs new made up title thats not an on field position. Hokanson said on his podcast that Freeze will have to make a decision on Roberts or Mcgriff after the season.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Wait so the DC may have personality conflicts too? With who? Who are the coaches getting into it with?

DC Ron Roberts was fired from his last job b/c he couldn't get along with the HC.  He's now here and apparently can't get along with McGriff.  McGriff moved off the field into a Trovon Reed type full time recruiting role, which he apparently likes.  It's possible that fixed the situation and might now stay.