Vandy post game thread

TitanTiger

Just now, passthebiscuits said:

Yeah one of those games where it wasn’t particularly close but somehow it kinda was. I never felt like we weren’t going to win. Season comes down to next week at Arky imo. 

Well, technically we only need to beat NMSU to get to the magic number. But hoping we can beat the Pigs.

Edited by AUwent

We also pretty clearly recovered their other muffed punt, and the hold on fairweather on the last drive was a bad call. Could’ve resulted in another td as well.

• Like 1

I think we've shown that we are better than the last quarter of the SEC, which is the most important part. I don't know if there's real improvement or whatever, but there were some who thought this was legitimately one of the absolute worst teams in the conference after the LSU game, and it's good that this stretch has quelled those doubts 

edit: If you really think about it, that opening stretch was tougher than it even looked at the time. The worst real team was Cal, who's competed against some of the best the PAC 12 has. A&M has basically equaled Bama and Ole Miss. LSU, Ole Miss and UGA. Reallyyyyy tough stretch

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If not for the Kelly drop, the awful kick catch interference call and at least one of Hunter’s TDs called back on weak penalties, it could have been 45-15 or even 52-15. 

Feeling much better about this offense. We still have our lulls and the drops and penalties are agonizing. But it’s obvious improvement.

If my aunt had nu…well , you know.

• Haha 3

Our offense is so inconsistent.  We had 14 possessions today.   11 of them were 5 plays or less (2 were TD drives).   The inability to sustain drives stresses your defense.   We get into a rut of run on first down for no gain.  Run on second down for loss of 2.  Throw on third down and we cant block it up.     When we go tempo and throw on the early downs we get really efficient particularly when we leave our butter fingers on the sideline.  When we try to play big boy football in early downs, we don't do so well.   In the first half, we ran it 7 times on first down for a total of 14 yards.  The longest was a thorn run for 6.  

Edited by LPTiger
typo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Yeah one of those games where it wasn’t particularly close but somehow it kinda was. I never felt like we weren’t going to win. Season comes down to next week at Arky imo. 

After today, I’m afraid there’s no way I can see any QB on the roster coming out of there with the W.  Couple that with a D front that couldn’t contain Vandy’s squeaky QB’s when they needed to…and KJ up next? No frickin way.

• Dislike 4

You have to add that we played fairly well and it was an away game. Though our fans made it sort of a home game. Nonetheless the way game curse was broken

• Like 2

Just now, LPTiger said:

I watched a different game.   In the one I saw, Thorne was 17 of 27 with 6 drops.

How dare you bring one ounce of positivity to this discussion! What the heck are you trying to do? We only see the negative here. We are DOOMED!!!!!

Sarcasm off. Totally agree with your take.

😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I watched a different game.   In the one I saw, Thorne was 17 of 27 with 6 drops.

We’ll see next week. Hope I lose this debate.

Edited by Swamp Eagle

25 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Glass half full…. the sun was truly in his eyes on the pick 6. Half empty…  Thorne sucks 

Edited by GreenTiger
  • Haha 2

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

How dare you bring one ounce of positivity to this discussion! What the heck are you trying to do? We only see the negative here. We are DOOMED!!!!!

Sarcasm off. Totally agree with your take.

😉

He wasn't perfect.  QBs rarely are.   But if Kelley catches the ball Thorne has 3 TDs.  If half the drops are caught he is at 250-275 yards.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Our offense is so inconsistent.  We had 14 possessions today.   11 of them were 5 plays or less (2 were TD drives).   The inability to sustain drives stresses your defense.   We get into a rut of run on first down for no gain.  Run on second down for loss of 2.  Throw on first down.    When we go tempo and throw on the early downs we get really efficient particularly when we leave our butter fingers on the sideline.  When we try to play big boy football in early downs, we don't do so well.   In the first half, we ran it 7 times on first down for a total of 14 yards.  The longest was a thorn run for 6.  

Exactly. Good teams don’t do that. Obviously I truly hope we get there by next year, but I currently just don’t have a ton of faith in this coaching staff actually coaching the players up. We are really very far at the back of the SEC and adding Texas and OU will not help. Not trying to be a downer, but I saw at least 14 points left on the field by poor play calling and a lack of people to catch a ball that hits them in the hands. After what Arky did to UF today, I honestly don’t see us beating them on the road next week. Our ceiling was always 7/4 but I’m hoping for the split. 

• Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I don’t see how we beat Arky. Watched them play Florida today. KJ and Rocket are built to expose our front 7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Thorne is the least of our O issues. 

I disagree, Hunter is the least of our O issues. Everybody else on O including the O coaches are all still issues

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I disagree, Hunter is the least of our O issues. Everybody else on O including the O coaches are all still issues

Fair take. I like Alston’s style best out of all the RBs 

• Like 1