SEC Shorts

aubiefifty

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Meh

tough crowd

7 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I thought this one was hilarious. A&M fans were so sure they found their guy.

It’s amazing how every hire from that cycle is now gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

It’s amazing how every hire from that cycle is now gone.

Who else was in that cycle? The only other one I can think of was Matt Luke.

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Who else was in that cycle? The only other one I can think of was Matt Luke.

Off the top of my head:

Chad Morris  -  Arkansas

Jeremy Pruitt  -  Tennessee

Matt Luke  -  Ole Miss

Dan Mullen - Florida

The problem isn't that hiring Jimbo was a bad hire.  It wasn't.  The problem is the insanity in extending his contract and including in that extension a full buyout.  It was already $50 million.  The universities don't deserve to have the money they have because they have shown a complete inability to manage.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The problem isn't that hiring Jimbo was a bad hire.  It wasn't.  The problem is the insanity in extending his contract and including in that extension a full buyout.  It was already $50 million.  The universities don't deserve to have the money they have because they have shown a complete inability to manage.

I think it was a bad hire. After Winston, Jimbo essentially ran FSU into the ground. They are just now showing life again from the mess he caused down there.

@ScotsAU Here's the full list:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/regrading-the-2017-18-college-football-coaching-carousel-from-jimbo-fisher-and-scott-frost-to-dan-mullen/

Scott Frost is the most obvious. I know the cupboard he inherited at UCF was in retrospect well stocked but 0-12 to 13-0 in two years is going to look good any way you slice it.

Luke technically started in 2017, but was "interim" the whole year.

Ok, Jonathan Smith at Oregon State was the ONE big success from that cycle. And Chip Kelly is still at UCLA.

Edited by AUwent

3 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I think it was a bad hire. After Winston, Jimbo essentially ran FSU into the ground. They are just now showing life again from the mess he caused down there.

By not a bad hire at the time, I am just speaking to the fact that Jimbo could have gotten pretty much any open job he wanted.  LSU chased him a couple of times.

8 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It was a horrible hire.  He has never had success except with great talent and recently, not even that.  He is a buffoon.  I hate that he ever coached at Auburn. 

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

@ScotsAU Here's the full list:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/regrading-the-2017-18-college-football-coaching-carousel-from-jimbo-fisher-and-scott-frost-to-dan-mullen/

Scott Frost is the most obvious. I know the cupboard he inherited at UCF was in retrospect well stocked but 0-12 to 13-0 in two years is going to look good any way you slice it.

Luke technically started in 2017, but was "interim" the whole year.

Ok, Jonathan Smith at Oregon State was the ONE big success from that cycle. And Chip Kelly is still at UCLA.

Chip is out too now

9 hours ago, Dwayne Pride said:

It was a horrible hire.  He has never had success except with great talent and recently, not even that.  He is a buffoon.  I hate that he ever coached at Auburn. 

Again, I am speaking of the hire as it was judged the day it was made.  Anyone can retroactively judge results.

IMO, not a bad hire, but a REALLY BAD bucket of money to start with, and then a REALLY BAD TRUCKLOAD.OF.MONEY as a follow-up.

But ya know, PTB do crazy S***T. Like for example extending Gus with a TRUCKLOAD.OF.MONEY!

On 11/14/2023 at 10:12 PM, drɘxɘl said:

Chip is out too now

Yep, I just read about that this afternoon. It took him a couple years to turn UCLA around but they've been ranked more than they haven't the last few seasons I thought. For UCLA football standards, I thought he has been doing pretty good.

On 11/14/2023 at 2:33 PM, ScotsAU said:

I've never seen FSU's facilities but I've read that Jimbo was promised better facilities time and time again but the school never came through. He felt it was hurting them in recruiting because their stuff just wasn't near what top level programs had at the time. So in frustration Jimbo ran the program into the ground and pretty much stopped recruiting. I'm sure he told Jimmy Sexton to get on the phone and find him a better program that would hire him and A&M was the spot. 

On 11/14/2023 at 1:54 PM, AU9377 said:

There was a reporter on ESPN yesterday and he told how that crazy extension for Jimbo happened.

Scott Woodward was the Texas A&M athletic director that hired Jimbo in Dec. 2017. Later on, Woodward left to become the LSU athletic director. Ross Bjork then became the A&M AD. During the 2021 football season, Scott Woodward fired Ed Orgeron and there was a ton of chatter going around that Woodward was hiring Jimbo to LSU since he was the guy that hired Jimbo at A&M. Jimbo had already coached at LSU years prior so it all kinda made sense.

Jimbo was supposedly considering the move to LSU. Jimbo had also just guided A&M to a 9-1 season in 2020, beating Alabama in the process and finishing 4th in the final rankings. So Ross Bjork panicked and gave Jimbo that crazy contract extension fearing that he may leave for LSU. Woodward then tried to hire Lincoln Riley to LSU but he chose the USC job instead and LSU ended up hiring Brian Kelly. 

• Like 1