NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

Here's something positive, for those saying it will be ugly next week. 

AU will look like a completely different team in the Iron Bowl. We will play well and it will be very close at the half. It will be exciting for a while. Bama will pull away in the second and win by two scores. 

• Like 3

Just now, sevenlee36 said:

Hugh is a very good (top heavy) recruiter, no pun intended. But I don’t think he is a very good coach . _ Unfortunately he’s probably the best that we can get.

Good recruiter and good play caller…not sure about the rest.

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I disagree. We start at least 10 players from same level that NM St roster has

Respectfully, not buying into the untalented team theory. Watched this same NMsST lose to Hawaii this season and they are pretty bad.  Basically it’s saying I can be bad at coaching and preparation but should beat u because I have a loaded team

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

AU will look like a completely different team in the Iron Bowl. We will play well and it will be very close at the half. It will be exciting for a while. Bama will pull away in the second and win by two scores. 

I hope you are right. This team looked awful tonight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

It's useless to say fire Freeze. We've invested and will ride this out good or bad. I don't think Freeze is it. I don't think his recruiting is going to be as good as expected. He was an underwhelming hire that no other SEC program wanted. We approach every coaching search like "who wants to come here?" and then we hire someone no one wants...and we always get the same results. 

Stop paying top money for average coaches. Stop thinking there's a secret neato offensive scheme that's going to tip the balance. We hired another Gus Malzahn. Why?

I've been saying this exact thing since the Hire heck even before... 

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Respectfully, not buying into the untalented team theory. Watched this same NMsST lose to Hawaii this season and they are pretty bad.  Basically it’s saying I can be bad at coaching and preparation but should beat u because I have a loaded team

Whatever happened early in the season, they corrected it.

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This may have been the best thing to ever happen to this dump of a program 

Please explain.

1 minute ago, AUApostle said:

Whatever happened early in the season, they corrected it.

There isn’t that much correction where they should beat an SEC team at home by three touchdowns 

8 minutes ago, OfficiatingExpert said:

I’m reminded of that Ole Miss team that had a couple of pro bowlers on it that went up to Memphis and lost. Hugh Freeze is basically s***ty Gus Malzahn and we’ve become a poverty program in football. Going to get blackout drunk. Buh bye

Lol dude. Don’t get blackout because of a bunch of kids playing a game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

Sounds like an L either way 

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Our people are no different from the majority of other SEC programs.

Really why don't  you go look at the list of canadiates that A&M is looking at as compared to our last 2 hires.

12 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Not to be rude, but I'm not a "misery loves company" guy. I don't care if FSU wins or loses.

I care that Auburn wins.

I get that.  I mainly put it here in case people didn’t know what was happening not for commiseration. 

• Like 1

Whole team and staff got cocky after Arkansas…if you rewatch that Arky game it was painfully obvious that they gave no effort…and we patted ourselves on the back for winning a game against a program that gave a weaker effort than we gave tonight.

Staff has to do a better job of grounding these players.  Where’s the veteran leadership?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

The fact remains.  We start a ton of non Power 5 transfers.  I agree, AU had no business losing, but this isn't a talented team. We have no WR talent AT ALL

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:Yeah, the refs were terrible.  Seemed like every time we made a play, laundry was on the field when we were on offense.  And that missed call on the fumble down 17-7 was a dagger.  But we just should not lose to New Mexico State even in a down or rebuilding year.  Period.  How this team gets back up to put up a fight next week vs Bama eludes my imagination.

Please quit even talking about the refs. We lost this game on bad coaching and horrible game play. The refs had zero to do with it. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, OfficiatingExpert said:

I’m reminded of that Ole Miss team that had a couple of pro bowlers on it that went up to Memphis and lost. Hugh Freeze is basically s***ty Gus Malzahn and we’ve become a poverty program in football. Going to get blackout drunk. Buh bye

No need to get blackout drunk but we antifreezers have been saying this.. 

Final post - The thing that bothers me most is all season long, I've seen offensive players either not bother to make perimeter blocks or completely whiff, linemen that don't know how to hold and when to release, and offensive gameplans that seriously suck (with a couple of exceptions). And though the defense played pretty well most of the year, today guys weren't taking good angles and some looked like they were loafing pretty bad.

And of all the idiot QB carousel we had most of the season, this was the one game where putting Robby in might have been strategic.

Edited by gman87
misspelled

3 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Really why don't  you go look at the list of canadiates that A&M is looking at as compared to our last 2 hires.

They are simply a far more attractive job than us at this point, for reasons out of our control. I do feel like we were way too hard on Gus--keeping a program smack in the middle of the two best programs in the country afloat is a bear of a task.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tony87 said:

That QB for NMSU have any eligibility left? If I were Freeze I'd shake that kids hand and tell him there's a spot for him. 

I don’t think now would have been a good time for that. Just saying…

1 minute ago, gman87 said:

Final post - The thing that bothers me most is all season long, I've seen offensive players either not bother to make perimeter blocks or completely whiff, linemen that don't know how to hold and when to release, and offensive gameplans that seriously suck (with a couple of exceptions). And though the defense played pretty well most of the year, today guys weren't taking good angles and some looked like they were loafing pretty bad.

And of all the idiot QB carousel we had most of the season, this was the one game where putting Robbie in might have been strategic.

Watched Wright get beat a couple of times when the blitz was on the other side of the line.

Someone posted this on the Rivals forum but it basically echoes my thoughts.

1.  Today's loss and the effort therein was inexcusable and ultimately that's on the coaching staff. 

2.  I still believe Freeze has us heading in the right direction.

Both of those things can be true and, I think, are.

9 minutes ago, cbo said:

Absolutely agree . It might even go down to the wire. If CHF win a bunch of games in time this bad performance will fade

3 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Please quit even talking about the refs. We lost this game on bad coaching and horrible game play. The refs had zero to do with it. 

You talk about what you want to talk about and I'll talk about what I want to talk about.  I didn't blame the refs.  I noted they were terrible but that's not the reason we lost.

• Like 1

As good as things looked last week this was the opposite end of the spectrum.  The O line looked like they didn’t know who to block.  The secondary couldn’t cover anybody.  The D line couldn’t get off blocks.  It’s a sad day when New Mexico State manhandles Auburn in the trenches but that’s what happened.  They dominated the line of scrimmage, dominated the times of possession and made all the right moves at the right time.  The fake punt was the end of the game.