NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

That aint even smart, that is just paying attention. We did not lose because of talent to NMSU. We lost on Coach Prep and Total Lack of Leadershipm on the field. Nothing more. Hell I think you agree with me if you cooled off for 5 minutes.

We are all hot and hurt. This is not AU Football. Truth, we havent had to many AU Days in the last 10 years.

I ain’t even mad, bro.  

56 minutes ago, metafour said:

It's the coaches responsibility to make sure their players are playing with the appropriate effort and intensity. Certain coaches keep their teams laser focused, others do not. These same players were plenty ready to take on #1 Georgia and go step for spte against them. If you actually look at Freeze's history, there is a repeated pattern which proves that he does not seem to possess the focus to keep his team ready week in and week out. This is becoming all too much a worrying pattern with him.

We’ve seen this same effort twice this season…LSU and NMSU.  We don’t want to admit Hugh has some chinks in his armour b/c we’re still In the honeymoon phase.  Gotta hope he recognizes the pattern and fixes it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUApostle said:

We’ve seen this same effort twice this season…LSU and NMSU.  We don’t want to admit Hugh has some chinks in his armour b/c we’re still In the honeymoon phase.  Gotta hope he recognizes the pattern and fixes it.

Always been like this unfortunately. I certainly believe he will rebuild us because that’s something he consistently has done but he has never proven to get over the hump. (Yes, I know he didn’t have the resources he has now.)

3 hours ago, Didba said:

Spin it baby!

I think Saban had the #1 recruiting class in the nation after his first season.

47 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

And they have only played together for 8 months. Most came in together after Freeze

4 months for our QB, the most important component of any football team. 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

It's the coaches responsibility to make sure their players are playing with the appropriate effort and intensity. Certain coaches keep their teams laser focused, others do not. These same players were plenty ready to take on #1 Georgia and go step for spte against them. If you actually look at Freeze's history, there is a repeated pattern which proves that he does not seem to possess the focus to keep his team ready week in and week out. This is becoming all too much a worrying pattern with him.

Players must own some responsibility for this loss. You say zero, I say 50%. Agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

All this talk about our talent level being so much better than NM st , consider this .. Over 75% of our starters on offense and defense are from G5 teams, JUCO, lower level P5 schools ( Vandy, Purdue etc).Our WR room is even worse. We got beat by  G5 team. WE, CURRENTLY ARE A G5 TEAM, ROSTER WISE. We all know why that's the case. Again, if this happens in yr 2 or 3 sound the alarm bells. For now, it's painful part of the rebuild.

So Gus' fault. got it.

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Instead of mentioning Bama/LA Monroe for the millionth time, can someone tell me a worse loss in the history of Auburn football? Has there been anything as bad as losing by 21 as 26 point favorites?

Probably not...I just remember losing to Vandy in 2012 and in 2008 before that...what happened to our coaches both times that happened?  There are some losses you just don't recover from.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Players must own some responsibility for this loss. You say zero, I say 50%. Agree to disagree.

Where did I say it was zero % on the players? Players still play with the attitude that the coaches instill in them. Name me one team that has a weak-willed HC who's players play like demons? It doesn't exist.

But let me take it further: did the coaches give off any sense of edge in their demeanor or game-calling yesterday? When Freeze left two timeouts hanging and let New Mexico run the clock out on their field goal before half which gave them the lead, did that instill a fighting spirit in his players or any sense of urgency? They barely had the ball offensively in the first half, so why didn't he try to play for one final possession after it became clear that New Mexico was going to settle for a field goal? 

You are asking the players to play with urgency and yet the staff seemed content to just let New Mexico hold the ball for what seemed like 3/4ths of the game. My man, it's a hard ask on players to do their part when the coaching staff seemed oblivious to what was happening in the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, metafour said:

Where did I say it was zero % on the players? Players still play with the attitude that the coaches instill in them. Name me one team that has a weak-willed HC who's players play like demons? It doesn't exist.

But let me take it further: did the coaches give off any sense of edge in their demeanor or game-calling yesterday? When Freeze left two timeouts hanging and let New Mexico run the clock out on their field goal before half which gave them the lead, did that instill a fighting spirit in his players or any sense of urgency? They barely had the ball offensively in the first half, so why didn't he try to play for one final possession after it became clear that New Mexico was going to settle for a field goal? 

You are asking the players to play with urgency and yet the staff seemed content to just let New Mexico hold the ball for what seemed like 3/4ths of the game. My man, it's a hard ask on players to do their part when the coaching staff seemed oblivious to what was happening in the game.

Well if you assign some responsibility to the players we only differ on percentages. I’m still at %50 though on each group (so definitely agree coaches own %50).

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I agree. My point is the number of them that we are relying on to make significant contributions is staggering.  

Agreed.  You can't build a competitive SEC team off the transfer portal.  If your recruiting sucks; and has sucked for 5 years, you suck.  The only way out is better recruiting.  Taking 40 second team and lower players from G5 and even P5 will not make you competitive.  Couple that with coaching malpractice and viola'....and what happened yesterday was coaching malpractice coupled with a less than quality SEC roster coupled with, apparently, apathy.

The portal can solve a problem or two; but it has to be players that were obviously outperforming their original HS ranking and they are better than advertised and are looking to upgrade.  But that will only plug a gap or two.  Taking guys who just can't start somewhere else isn't going to solve your problems....there were ~3,000 players in the portal. 

1 hour ago, AUApostle said:

I just hope he's not distracted....

2 hours ago, AUApostle said:

He hasn’t at any of his other coaching stops.

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

and second season.

3 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Portal and NIL have changed the landscape a great deal since then. 

Speaking of talent on the Offensive side of the ball... According to Ol Jhead tonite, we have exactly ONE guy starting on offense that was  4* coming out of high school.  Javarius Johnson.  Of course, I don't have data. Just going off what JHead stated. He stated his source. 

1 minute ago, aucat said:

TAM  should hire this Jerry Kill , this man is the James Franklin type

He is perfect for NMSU.  His health concerns would make it difficult at Texas A&M with the added stress.

2 hours ago, aucat said:

TAM  should hire this Jerry Kill , this man is the James Franklin type

I was thinking Miss St. I think TAM is going to want someone more polished.

16 hours ago, AUApostle said:

Totally agree.

BOTH of these beatdowns came after Auburn was on a high.

LSU - came right after Auburn "almost" beat uga, and there was all this hype about it 

NMSU - came right after a 3-game win streak, and there was all this hype about our trajectory .... but the reality of that situation is that they beat the 3 doormats of the SEC (Vandy, MSU, Arkansas .... 3 teams with a combined 2 conference wins, and 11 wins total)

Are the players reading all of the good press and thinking they can just show up? Were they looking past NMSU to bama? (I'm sure there was at least some of that)

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

He is perfect for NMSU.  His health concerns would make it difficult at Texas A&M with the added stress.

T A & M has interviewed the UTSA coach.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Portal and NIL have changed the landscape a great deal since then. 

Indeed it has. Like a revolving  door now with the rosters.

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

Totally agree.

BOTH of these beatdowns came after Auburn was on a high.

LSU - came right after Auburn "almost" beat uga, and there was all this hype about it 

NMSU - came right after a 3-game win streak, and there was all this hype about our trajectory .... but the reality of that situation is that they beat the 3 doormats of the SEC (Vandy, MSU, Arkansas .... 3 teams with a combined 2 conference wins, and 11 wins total)

Are the players reading all of the good press and thinking they can just show up? Were they looking past NMSU to bama? (I'm sure there was at least some of that)

I’ve seen one team on our schedule give a worse effort than AU on Saturday and that was Arkansas the week before…out of position, getting blown off the ball, half-a$$ hand tackling…

We were probably walking around all week like we’d arrived.

Edited by AUApostle
  • Like 1