Bama Postgame

bishoptf

IMG_5068.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Carnell said:

First of all it wasn't a Hail Mary because the receivers were spread apart throughout the endzone.  Hail Mary receivers are in a bunch.  I will tell you I have not heard of any exceptions to this rule.  But again my question is how long do you expect our dbs to cover those 4&5 star receiver bama probably have.

On a hail Mary where you have 8 defenders in the endzone indefinitely would be the correct answer.

It sucks, but I think this is the bottom. I think even Alabama fans realize this. Saban is done soon and Auburn  will soon have talent that Auburn should have.  The closest Iron Bowl I can compare this to is 1997, when 3-8 Alabama played lights out in Jordan-Hare and should have won, but found a way to lose (stupidly called pass and fumble). This year, we were the bad team, and as bad teams often do - found a way to lose. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was at both the Georgia and Alabama games. Bama fans are much worse. What a bunch of classless rednecks. Was super proud of our crowd last night. Gave it their all( as usual) and strangely heard no bitching about the outcome while filing out of the stadium or on the walk to the car

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Stolen from @bigbird on the Nest:

”We're what we thought we'd be-- a very thin, talent deprived team that has a very low football IQ. However, I saw those boys go toe to toe and not lose heart or faith in each other or their coaches. In fact, it seems to be having a galvanizing effect; from coaches to recruits. 

What I found, for myself anyway, is that last night's loss hurt so much because I was so invested in the game. 

Guys, do y'all realize how long it's been since we've been invested in games like these. For the better part of a decade we just shrugged off loss after loss to our biggest rivals because we were so apathetic to the doldrums we were stuck in. It hurts because I finally felt some of that old AU spirit throughout the game and stadium and I let myself begin to believe again. Last night, I think we started to wake up as a program and fan base.”

Amazing how the “galvanizing effect” literally turned on a dime in the span of 7 days.  Lol

Last week’s game was a display of lackadaisical and lazy play on-the-field, poor coaching from the sidelines and it appeared no one GAS.  Seven days later, a very thin and talent deprived team stood toe to toe with one of the nations better teams and played with a lot of heart.  Played UGA with a ton of heart too and pissed around vs a G5 opponent.  What a roller coaster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Hail Mary is defended completely different. Really no excuse. Just keep your fundamentals and execute.

My question is was it a Hail Mary though. To me a Hail Mary is what PT did before the half just launch a  pass in a crowded area. This was about 30 yards and one on one. Just my thinking. Thoughts 

43 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

On a hail Mary where you have 8 defenders in the endzone indefinitely would be the correct answer.

Obviously you are incorrect.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

It should be indefinitely but it doesn’t work like that. The pros get open all the time although it might be from the 20. Throwing from the 30 still gives u a shot to do an accurate pass. 

8 minutes ago, e808 said:

My question is was it a Hail Mary though. To me a Hail Mary is what PT did before the half just launch a  pass in a crowded area. This was about 30 yards and one on one. Just my thinking. Thoughts 

He threw the ball from the 36, 9 yards deep into the end zone. 45 yard pass. And yes we played a hail Mary defense with 8 men in the end zone. We simply didn't execute.

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

He threw the ball from the 36, 9 yards deep into the end zone. 45 yard pass. And yes we played a hail Mary defense with 8 men in the end zone. We simply didn't execute.

Any other time throughout a game u throw a ball like that and it’s one on one is it Hail Mary  or 50/50. 

50 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

LOL.

The longer a play is allowed to develop, the more thinking enters the mind of any DB trying to play coverage. The more thinking that takes place, the higher the probability of a blunder. These guys are normally playing on instincts 95% of the time because the QB has such limited time on most pass attempts that take place in a game.

The reason why these gimmick defensive calls which "on paper" should work are in fact stupid decisions is because you are asking a bunch of guys to all of a sudden play a certain way which you otherwise never call in a game. It introduces too much volatility.

It was a stupid defensive call, and the player in coverage made a mistake. They actually had 3 defenders doing literally nothing (two DL who weren't even trying to pressure the QB and a spy literally just standing pointlessly). If you are hell bent on applying zero pressure, why waste those 3 men on the field at all? Why not just put in 11 DB's? 

They actually rushed 0; which was stupid because you are playing a QB with otherwise shoddy decision making. Why make his job easy? If you bring SOME pressure and force him to move left or right out of the pocket, it effectively cuts the field in half because a throw across the field to the opposite side of the endzone is absurdly difficult. If you effectively cut the endzone in half, it forces the receivers to bunch together which is what creates those unlikely jump-ball plays. When you leave the entire endzone open from sideline to sideline,  you are just inviting space for a WR to do something.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

Any other time throughout a game u throw a ball like that and it’s one on one is it Hail Mary  or 50/50. 

Not positive, but I think you are describing a 50/50. Apples/oranges.

6 minutes ago, metafour said:

LOL.

The longer a play is allowed to develop, the more thinking enters the mind of any DB trying to play coverage. The more thinking that takes place, the higher the probability of a blunder. These guys are normally playing on instincts 95% of the time because the QB has such limited time on most pass attempts that take place in a game.

The reason why these gimmick defensive calls which "on paper" should work are in fact stupid decisions is because you are asking a bunch of guys to all of a sudden play a certain way which you otherwise never call in a game. It introduces too much volatility.

It was a stupid defensive call, and the player in coverage made a mistake. They actually had 3 defenders doing literally nothing (two DL who weren't even trying to pressure the QB and a spy literally just standing pointlessly). If you are hell bent on applying zero pressure, why waste those 3 men on the field at all? Why not just put in 11 DB's? 

They actually rushed 0; which was stupid because you are playing a QB with otherwise shoddy decision making. Why make his job easy? If you bring SOME pressure and force him to move left or right out of the pocket, it effectively cuts the field in half because a throw across the field to the opposite side of the endzone is absurdly difficult. If you effectively cut the endzone in half, it forces the receivers to bunch together which is what creates those unlikely jump-ball plays. When you leave the entire endzone open from sideline to sideline,  you are just inviting space for a WR to do something.

I stated previously we should have rushed 3. The spy was a bust and obviously the coverage was a bust. You simply do not under any circumstance allow a receiver behind you in that situation. And you are correct, the player(s) in coverage made a mistake.

40 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Looked sorta like a “backyard football” defense to me. Give him all day to find someone and make a perfect throw. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Looked sorta like a “backyard football” defense to me. Give him all day to find someone and make a perfect throw. 

That’s my point he didn’t just launch a pass into a crowd. He actually had the chance to survey the field , throw the ball in which his receiver had a real chance to catch it.

It's like they were supposed to be zoning but they were also playing man??? They should have their fastest guy roving in the middle and that distance he should be able to get to either side he needed to while the ball is in the air. You don't let anybody get behind you and you make it where when you come down you are both out of bounds

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not crazy about how we executed it for sure.

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Hurts to think about it.

indeed

I saw a stat that in the past 2 years in games where a team has a 3rd or 4th down of 30 yards to gain or more those teams were combined 0-90 into last night. Now it’s 1-91. We had essentially a 99% chance to win the game and blew it. 

It's super easy for us all to second guess all of these decisions. It's absolutely hilarious to me seeing people saying "fire so and so" and all that mess , too. This one hurts. Terribly. The fact is though, we were severely out talented and we had the game in the bag.

The call on 4th and 31 would probably work 9 out of 10 times, but Milroe just made an absolute perfect throw.  If we had rushed 3 or 4 and he didn't get home and Milroe beat us that way we would all be saying "why even rush the QB why not drop 8-9 in coverage?"  The point is....it's easy to second guess everything as fans. 

The biggest thing to me was that we shouldn't have even been in that situation. A handful of plays get made and the game is sealed long before. If Valdo doesn't drop a wide open pass right before the half. If Var doesn't drop a TD. And the biggest...if we don't blunder the punt. My thing is....why even attempt to field the punt. Why take the risk. Even if they pinned us inside the 10...we have the momentum and our run game was working them down. Again....second guessing.

I am extremely proud of our team for fighting like they did after the performance last week. They didn't back down frm big bad Bama at all and they punched them in the Fricking mouth. Just couldn't close it out. I am proud of our staff as well. They gave our players a chance with a solid gameplan. 

All in all, the future for AU Football is bright. I truly believe it for the first time in many years. 

• Like 1

Would have been nice if they had told 2 of the DB's to man the corners of the end zone. Oh well no muffed punt and its over. don't put anybody back to receive or tell him to get away from it. It wouldn't have been worse than the 20 to 25 probably.