Bye Bye CBS

AUApostle

3 minutes ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

For me most of the ESPN announcers are more annoying than CBS. Most of the time I would have the game on the TV but mute the sound. Then have the Auburn Radio broadcast on. 

I never can get timing to work out when I try this!!

On 12/2/2023 at 6:21 AM, bigbird said:

What kills me is just how many last minute, long game winning passes we've given up

On 12/2/2023 at 7:02 AM, augolf1716 said:

Always thought the same just unreal and this doesn't include the ones on ESPN

If it's any consolation, there were 5 lead changes in the IB, but only one in the SEC Championship and the scores were the exact same, 27-24.  Time to fire Kirby.

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2023 at 11:12 PM, AUApostle said:

Really good montage from CBS Sports of the last 30+ years.  It’s OK to shed a tear…a lot of great Auburn memories in there.

I like how there is music all through the video, except for the Kick Six.  Rightly so, that one play which is the greatest in the history of college football, can stand on its own!

Edited by miscram6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, miscram6 said:

I like how there is music all through the video, except for the Kick Six.  Rightly so, that one play which is the greatest in the history of college football, can stand on its own!

That’s the one time Verne and Gary did a fantastic job in not talking.

from Al.com

“On the way ...,” Lundquist said as the high arcing kick sailed through the air.

“No … returned by Chris Davis …”

Up the sideline and into history he ran.

“Chris Davis!” Lundquist said as he crossed the goal line. “No flags! Touchdown, Auburn! An answered prayer!”

Internally, he was instantly worried.

“I thought dear God, don’t let there be any flags,” Lundquist said. “I look back and of course, there weren’t.

To his side, Danielson was again working the producers off-air for all the replays.

“I have an isolation monitor so I was looking to see if people were dogging it,” Danielson said. “I was also looking to see if he stepped out of bounds and then, to tell you the truth, I was looking to see if he dropped the ball as he crossed the goal line. And everything was perfect.”

At that point, the two broadcasting veterans went silent.

“I literally put my hand over my mouth and tried to not say anything,” Danielson said.

• Like 1

I only ever had 2 things against CBS games. The 2:30 kickoff was able to kill potentially insane atmospheres if they kicked at 7 instead, and the announcing. A 7pm kick with different announcers and CBS's actual coverage would be prime.

I guess I'm different but I actually liked Vern and Gary and then later Brad Nessler. I really miss Nessler and Todd Blackledge on ESPN as well. I guess these guys and SEC on CBS have been a big part of my life so long that they just grew on me. 

I ALWAYS laughed when Cody Parkey would come on for a FG or extra point and damn near everytime Vern would say "On to kick for Auburn is Cody Parker...ParKEY." Vern would catch himself everytime then immediately say ParKEY. He struggled with that for Parkey's entire time at Auburn.

I will admit though, I got absolutely sick of Vern and Gary creaming their pants over Tebow every week. They would work Tebow into every dang game they called, whether Florida was playing or not. Gary still brings up Tebow's jump pass. 

But I am gonna miss them, not gonna lie.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The back to back calls of the Prayer at Jordan Hare and Kick Six in 2013 by Verne and Gary are likely the most memorable of their careers and mine as a listener. Along with the Auburn radio broadcasts of the same, these are classics. They will likely never be replicated, at least for me. Great memories!

12 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Gary was so against Alabama. Glad he has moved on.....................

That's why I always liked Gary. I figured if both sides are convinced he pulls for their rival, he must be doing something right. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I guess I'm different but I actually liked Vern and Gary and then later Brad Nessler. I really miss Nessler and Todd Blackledge on ESPN as well. I guess these guys and SEC on CBS have been a big part of my life so long that they just grew on me. 

I ALWAYS laughed when Cody Parkey would come on for a FG or extra point and damn near everytime Vern would say "On to kick for Auburn is Cody Parker...ParKEY." Vern would catch himself everytime then immediately say ParKEY. He struggled with that for Parkey's entire time at Auburn.

I will admit though, I got absolutely sick of Vern and Gary creaming their pants over Tebow every week. They would work Tebow into every dang game they called, whether Florida was playing or not. Gary still brings up Tebow's jump pass. 

But I am gonna miss them, not gonna lie.

I liked all 4 of them too. Blackledge the best.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 6:31 AM, JuscAUse! said:

That's why I always liked Gary. I figured if both sides are convinced he pulls for their rival, he must be doing something right. 

The best broadcast moment after Kick-6 was Danielson saying that Auburn was able to run it back because they had athletes on the field while "Alabama only had fat guys."  LOL -- nearly fell out of my chair hearing that(!)  

• Like 1

Looks like the video was taken down from the original post/tweet, anyone have another link to it? Surely it wasn't because of a copyright violation, since it was the CBS Sports account and all...

On 12/2/2023 at 6:25 PM, nthemix said:

well Bama is going to win the NC … we could’ve put them out of everybody misery last week but stepped on our dic* 

I rank that loss with the 85 Iron Bowl when Van Tiffen kicked that 52 Yarder to win at the buzzer. :bawling: