AUMB Finalist!

ScotsAU

100% shame on me.  I didn't appreciate AUMB until we went to Cali.  When you have only seen the best of the best for 38 years, you take it for granted.   Now, after Cali, I will never again leave my seat when they are performing.

• Like 1

Yes!! Please….GO VOTE!  Fan voting is still open but I think the band actually will pick the winner. 

If you watch the other entries, there is honestly no contest.  Auburn blew that one out of the water, it’s an amazing show.  The light effects put it over the top.  

The grand prize is $75k for the band program so let’s do our part to help them out!  Those kids work hard to be the absolute best! 

Edited by AEAugirl

4 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Yes!! Please….GO VOTE!  Fan voting is still open but I think the band actually will pick the winner. 

If you watch the other entries, there is honestly no contest.  Auburn blew that one out of the water, it’s an amazing show.  The light effects put it over the top.  

The grand prize is $75k for the band program so let’s do our part to help them out!  Those kids work hard to be the absolute best! 

It depends on how the band chooses to evaluate the shows. We had hands down the most entertaining show visually. Texas had the cleanest show (sounded a little more “together” than ours). Of the other 3 schools, one had a fake Metallica run out onto the field after a cut away video on their Jumbotron. One played more interesting Metallica songs. The last one, which was one of the Iowa schools, was relatively boring in comparison to the others. But, depending on what the band focuses on, it’s a bit of a crapshoot.  As a former band kid though, stepping back and trying to view this through an objective lens, I still think AUMB had the best show overall even if Texas played a tad more together.

• 4 weeks later...

Auburn was the D1 band winner and the fan-favorite winner! War Eagle! I'm a very proud alumnus. 

• Like 1

For convenience, here is a direct link to the Auburn MB performance.
https://youtu.be/36yFOtgxGlk

Yes, a fine performance by the Auburn MB. WDE!

And an example of just how vapid and droll the music of Metallica really is. So, additional kudos to our MB for creating a performance that overcame the crappy music to impress!

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 5:49 PM, ScotsAU said:

No idea if this belongs here or in the other Auburn sports section. The AUMB did a halftime show a few weeks ago with a Metallica theme. The performance was part of a contest put on by Metallica to use their music in a marching show. The AUMB has officially been announced as a finalist and will be one of five college marching bands to be reviewed by the band for the grand prize. 

There’s more info here, including all of the other contenders’ submissions:

https://www.metallicamarchingband.com

Nice!

10 hours ago, AURex said:

For convenience, here is a direct link to the Auburn MB performance.
https://youtu.be/36yFOtgxGlk

Yes, a fine performance by the Auburn MB. WDE!

And an example of just how vapid and droll the music of Metallica really is. So, additional kudos to our MB for creating a performance that overcame the crappy music to impress!

vapid/droll. Using some mighty highbrow words Rex :lol: Though I've forgot they were a band for the past 25-30 years.

They did pick the winners themselves and chose Auburn as the best college participant and my kids HS as the winner of best HS participant.

So I'll say their judgement is spot on. ;) 

Talking with the people at the HS what is kinda weird is the prize. $200,000 in band equipment. But when they inquired what kind of equipment they couldn't get an answer. Director joked that next year they might have a huge electric guitar section. 

• Haha 2