Freeze dismisses OC Philip Montgomery

Just now, Elephant Tipper said:

AU is an elite program.  I stand by that.

Ok. 

Are you also a fan that when I mention us losing back to back years to Penn State you say "That was because we had a bad coach so that doesn't count." Ol' cherry picking type fan?

1 minute ago, TeamZero77 said:

So if those 3 schools not trading schedules with us makes us elite? 

AGAIN, do you think LSU, UA, or UGA would prefer AU's schedule ?  The answer, again, is NO !

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

When I think of elite, I think of teams who have won 10+ games in back to back seasons more than one time like we have done.

When I think of elite, I think of teams that don't lose 4 or more games 21 of the past 26 years like we have. Or lost 5 or more games 16 of the past 26 years like we have.

When I think of elite, I think of teams that don't go 5-7, 8-5, 14-0, 8-5, 3-9 like we did from 2008 to 2012. 

Elite teams can win in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa more than once every 15 or 20 years. 

Elite teams don't lose to Minnesota, Northwestern, Maryland, UCF, Wisconsin when their AD coached the damn bowl game and beat us, Penn State back to back years and so on. 

Besides the 1980's, Auburn has always been a program that goes 8-5 most years and has a great year once a decade. There's a reason why numerous articles have been written through the years stating that the Auburn football program is the most inconsistent of the programs that has success. We brag about our 2017 season which garnered 10 wins but also 4 losses. Some brag about 2019 and it was a 9-4 season. Thats what our program has been reduced to since 2020 is bragging and calling a 9-4 or 10-4 season great. 

Maybe you view elite differently than me but I don't think our football program is elite and the ONLY time I would even consider it is 1983-1988 or 2004-2006. That's it. We are good most years with 1 great year per decade. We are WILDLY inconsistent as well.

Just my opinion.

Both 17 and 19 were better than the record though. They just had absolute killer schedules. Tipper said basically everything I’ve been arguing for the last few years.

Just now, Elephant Tipper said:

AGAIN, do you think LSU, UA, or UGA would prefer AU's schedule ?  The answer, again, is NO !

I answered your question a few texts ago. I said Georgia and Bama wouldn't give a damn what schedule they play. I also said LSU faces Florida which over time can be argued is harder than us facing Georgia. 

There's your answer. I think those 3 would trade schedules because I think those 3 aren't programs that are scared to play anybody.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Both 17 and 19 were better than the record though. They just had absolute killer schedules. Tipper said basically everything I’ve been arguing for the last few years.

Record books will always say 10-4 and 9-4 though. If we are breaking down every little detail, then every program could say "yeah but we lost our QB that week and this WR had the flu." At the end of it all, you are what your record says.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I will say this though, Bo was a true freshman that year and we beat the Pac 12 champions Oregon and we beat Alabama. We lost 23-20 in Baton Rouge to Joe Burrow's LSU team that went 15-0. Us and Alabama were the only 2 teams that LSU didn't beat by double digits. We lost to Georgia, lost in the Swamp to a really good Florida team then looked bad in our bowl game against Minnesota. So I agree with what you said but nobody outside of our fanbase will ever look at that season other than the 9-4 record. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

I answered you so we can agree to disagree. No biggie. We still want what's best for Auburn. I'll stop because the thread title is about Philip Montgomery being fired and we've totally went off course of what this thread is. 

Have a good rest of your evening sir!

1 minute ago, TeamZero77 said:

I answered you so we can agree to disagree. No biggie. We still want what's best for Auburn. I'll stop because the thread title is about Philip Montgomery being fired and we've totally went off course of what this thread is. 

Have a good rest of your evening sir!

Thank you for challenging me with your questions.  It's important to do so.

Here is what others say about AU's football program:

Ranking college football's top 25 programs of the past 10 years | Sporting News

Associated Press ranks the top 100 college football programs of all time (saturdaydownsouth.com)  (AP 2017)

CFN: Top 25 college football programs of all-time using the AP Poll (usatoday.com) (AP 2022....they still believe AU is an elite program)

The 50 best college football programs over 150 years - ESPN

College football's top 25 programs over 20-year average, ranked (247sports.com)

With all its travails, AU is an elite program. 

WDE !!!

Back to the title of the thread as you rightly point out

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I will say this though, Bo was a true freshman that year and we beat the Pac 12 champions Oregon and we beat Alabama. We lost 23-20 in Baton Rouge to Joe Burrow's LSU team that went 15-0. Us and Alabama were the only 2 teams that LSU didn't beat by double digits. We lost to Georgia, lost in the Swamp to a really good Florida team then looked bad in our bowl game against Minnesota. So I agree with what you said but nobody outside of our fanbase will ever look at that season other than the 9-4 record. 

Hence why I’ve been yelling and screaming the last few years about scheduling fairness. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

You say Georgia, Alabama and LSU only plays 1 national title team a year but Auburn plays 3 which are LSU, Bama and Georgia. 

You also say Auburn is elite and your list of the last 25 years of national champs includes several SEC teams.

So you say LSU only plays 1 national title team a year but LSU also plays Auburn and Florida every year so, by your own admission of us being elite, as well as your list of past champions that means LSU plays Alabama, Auburn and Florida each year which are 3 national champions.

Georgia plays Auburn and Florida every year so that's 2 champions they play and if we go off your list, Tennessee would also be put on that list of champions so Georgia plays 3 per year as well. 

Alabama plays LSU, Auburn and Tennessee each year and that's 3 champions as well.

You are reaching.  

Edited by NCAubs

20 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Thank you for challenging me with your questions.  It's important to do so.

Here is what others say about AU's football program:

Ranking college football's top 25 programs of the past 10 years | Sporting News

Associated Press ranks the top 100 college football programs of all time (saturdaydownsouth.com)  (AP 2017)

CFN: Top 25 college football programs of all-time using the AP Poll (usatoday.com) (AP 2022....they still believe AU is an elite program)

The 50 best college football programs over 150 years - ESPN

College football's top 25 programs over 20-year average, ranked (247sports.com)

With all its travails, AU is an elite program. 

WDE !!!

Back to the title of the thread as you rightly point out

I am keeping my eye on you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Florida won in 2006 and 2008 dude. Urban Meyer, Tebow???????

Actually, I did credit UF previously with their 2 NCs, for what it's worth.  lol  Page 4, my first post.  For some reason I'm not able to link it.  This chart displays instead.

Edited by Elephant Tipper

On 1/7/2024 at 6:47 PM, TeamZero77 said:

Pretty good for having a True Freshman QB.

On 1/7/2024 at 5:40 PM, TeamZero77 said:

I answered your question a few texts ago. I said Georgia and Bama wouldn't give a damn what schedule they play. I also said LSU faces Florida which over time can be argued is harder than us facing Georgia. 

There's your answer. I think those 3 would trade schedules because I think those 3 aren't programs that are scared to play anybody.

How in the world can playing Florida be considered tougher than playing Georgia.  That makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

How in the world can playing Florida be considered tougher than playing Georgia.  That makes no sense.

Overall since the 80’s when Galen Hall figured out how to buy players, it arguable.   Now, there is no comparison over the past 5 years. 

On 1/9/2024 at 4:32 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

I said Florida, over time, can be tougher than playing Georgia. Since 1990, Florida has like 10 SEC titles and 3 Natty's. Georgia doesn't have nothing close to that many SEC titles and only 2 titles during that time. Spurrier and Urban Meyer, collectively, had an 18 year run at Florida. Add in double digit win seasons by Muschamp, 2 by McElwain and a few by Mullen and Florida has had arguably a better run over time than Georgia has. Georgia has only been a real juggernaut since 2017. Richt had 15 good years but only 2 SEC titles and no Natty's. 

With Kirby's run not looking like it will slow down anytime soon, Georgia will probably pass Florida in those departments.

On 1/9/2024 at 4:36 PM, NCAubs said:

Overall since the 80’s when Galen Hall figured out how to buy players, it arguable.   Now, there is no comparison over the past 5 years. 

I agree. 1983 Charley Pell had a good year where they finished top 5 or 6 and then Galen Hall had two years where they finished 3rd and 5th right after Pell left. 

Mainly, I was thinking about 1990 and forward, when Spurrier arrived and won 7 SEC titles in his 12 years there and 1 Natty. Then Urban Meyer won 2 Natty's after Ron Zook was fired. 

You probably remember that Florida wasn't real attractive until Spurrier arrived in 1990. They were a team that would have a really good year then 6 or 8 mediocre years. LSU was the exact same way before Saban arrived around 2000. They too would have a really good year and then 8 average or bad years. Spurrier and Saban are the 2 that really put Florida and LSU on the right path to being serious contenders year after year. Florida has fallen off quiet a bit just like we have here at Auburn. LSU has seemed to keep their run going no matter what coach they have. I would love to be where LSU has been for 20+ years now. 

This conversation about elite programs or not elite need to be defined by certain criteria.   Are we going back 25, 50 or 100 years?   Are we going back to segregation? 

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Not to take away from the scheduling conversation but when are we to expect movement in the Auburn OC job?

Probably won’t be rushed since freeze is taking over playcalling. Seems Nix is the recurrent name.

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I said Florida, over time, can be tougher than playing Georgia. Since 1990, Florida has like 10 SEC titles and 3 Natty's. Georgia doesn't have nothing close to that many SEC titles and only 2 titles during that time. Spurrier and Urban Meyer, collectively, had an 18 year run at Florida. Add in double digit win seasons by Muschamp, 2 by McElwain and a few by Mullen and Florida has had arguably a better run over time than Georgia has. Georgia has only been a real juggernaut since 2017. Richt had 15 good years but only 2 SEC titles and no Natty's. 

With Kirby's run not looking like it will slow down anytime soon, Georgia will probably pass Florida in those departments.

It’s obvious to me that who is tougher is directly related to who is coaching. If you go back to Spurrier days (tough), if you are in Smart days (tough).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

It’s obvious to me that who is tougher is directly related to who is coaching. If you go back to Spurrier days (tough), if you are in Smart days (tough).

Exactly