Freeze dismisses OC Philip Montgomery

51 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Firing a coordinator after year 1.  Priceless.....

While it’s probably a good move, if you want to get rich come to Auburn. You don’t have to produce any results just fake it till you make it, (millions and get fired) .

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Firing a coordinator after year 1.  Priceless.....

Happens a lot 

9 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Please hire Gus!!! (Kidding, kidding)

Gus was a great OC. Above average HC.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

I would prefer that Freeze call his own plays.

If you're doing someone else's job you aren't doing your own.  

Why even hire an “OC?” DHF needs to ride or die as the playcaller. Bring on an up and coming QB psychologist/ whisperer coach if you want, but I don’t get this idea of laying the framework for philosophical offensive differences by bringing in a dedicated OC when that’s the HC’s bread and butter.

Edited by tigeraddikt

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Not bird but off the top of my head…$$$$$, fame, glory…

also not having to work with Kiffin (ask our OL coach) 

also also, when i first heard this, i thought we were talking about Pat Nix. #thatwouldbeweird

In Feb 1997 I was a 16 yr old sophomore at Gadsden High School. A buddy of mine and I decided to “go out for football” for spring practice as linebackers. I’d never played a snap of actual football in my life. During a scrimmage, the DC/asst coach Charles Nails was lighting into us for the defense’s arm tackling attempts, yelling “You think you’re gonna tackle Derrick Nix at Etowah with that sh**!”

Gadsden High and Etowah High (the alma mater of Cadillac, Pat Nix, Freddy Kitchens, Derrick Nix, et al) were local 5A rivals. 

Now Freddy is a former NFL HC (honk if you saw that coming), Carnell is the Caddy-lack, Pat Nix is Bo’s Diddy and a HS coaching legend in the making, and AU is courting Derrick Nix as OC. Good times.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

In Feb 1997 I was a 16 yr old sophomore at Gadsden High School. A buddy of mine and I decided to “go out for football” for spring practice as linebackers. I’d never played a snap of actual football in my life. During a scrimmage, the DC/asst coach Charles Nails was lighting into us for the defense’s arm tackling attempts, yelling “You think you’re gonna tackle Derrick Nix at Etowah with that sh**!”

Gadsden High and Etowah High (the alma mater of Cadillac, Pat Nix, Freddy Kitchens, Derrick Nix, et al) were local 5A rivals. 

Now Freddy is a former NFL HC (honk if you saw that coming), Carnell is the Caddy-lack, Pat Nox is Bo’s Diddy and a HS coaching legend in the making, and AU is courting Derrick Nix as OC. Good times.

Pat Nix taught me for a quarter at Opelika high when he was going through his internship for teaching…world history. He taught me about NAFTA. Now that’s some trivia… 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, japantiger said:

If you're doing someone else's job you aren't doing your own.  

CHF got hired because of the product he has put on the field. He went away from doing what he's done that ultimately got him here (call plays). Then, for the first time ever, he hires someone else to call the plays and what do you know..., all the sudden, the product he put on the field does not look reminiscent of any CHF product I can remember. His job is to win football games. He can do that by continuing to do what he's always done which includes calling plays. 

• Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Pat Nix taught me for a quarter at Opelika high when he was going through his internship for teaching…world history. He taught me about NAFTA. Now that’s some trivia… 

That’s awesome. IIRC NAFTA was a Clinton era thing, along with Dont ask don’t tell and getting blown by Monica.

55 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Now Freddy is a former NFL HC (honk if you saw that coming), Carnell is the Caddy-lack, Pat Nox is Bo’s Diddy and a HS coaching legend in the making, and AU is courting Derrick Nix as OC. Good times.

We played Etowah my senior year. Patrick Nix was the quarterback, Toderick Malone was a receiver, and the running back/linebacker was Tyrone Nix. We took the ball to start the game and scored on the opening drive. It was all downhill from there. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

IMG_6907.jpeg
top 14 offenses in 2023

So a high school coach has a top 10 offense🤔?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

We played Etowah my senior year. Patrick Nix was the quarterback, Toderick Malone was a receiver, and the running back/linebacker was Tyrone Nix. We took the ball to start the game and scored on the opening drive. It was all downhill from there. 😂

Yeah those 90s Etowah teams were stacked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigerOne said:

While it’s probably a good move, if you want to get rich come to Auburn. You don’t have to produce any results just fake it till you make it, (millions and get fired) .

So damn true. Goes for most of our recent HC’s as well. Such a mismanaged program. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

Why even hire an “OC?” DHF needs to ride or die as the playcaller. Bring on an up and coming QB psychologist/ whisperer coach if you want, but I don’t get this idea of laying the framework for philosophical offensive differences by bringing in a dedicated OC when that’s the HC’s bread and butter.

Was Gus’s too and he crapped out quickly, but got plenty of raises and extensions. Ive never seen how HF is any different. GM had great recruiting classes his first 4 years or so, but was unable to develop some of the main players. At least he tended to accept responsibility, which is what HF has done very little of. I’m not trashing him,  but I also have very little faith in him outside of getting a top recruit in here for one year before they bolt. I hope he shows a lot more next season and proves me wrong. 

6 hours ago, cctiger said:

Bird, why would Nix leave Oxford and come to the Plains?

Maybe if Freeze agrees to let him call the plays. He’s not doing that at Oxford.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

If he's just going to promote Kent Austin, would he have done it today?

I was thinking of this. I do think a quick hire after a fire doesn’t look good. I think even if they know who it’ll be already they probably will wait atleast a day or so until they announce the new hire. 

33 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Do you think Freeze calls boosters first or the administration concerning coach dismissals? 

I think boosters called Freeze and told him to get his con job together and fast.

Edited by TigerOne
  • Like 2