Auburn executes major coup, nabs Will Redmond from LSU

RunInRed

Hugh Freeze is making big-boy moves heading into Year 2 at Auburn.

And Freeze's gain is yet another loss for Brian Kelly and LSU.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Freeze and the Auburn Tigers are plucking away Will Redmond from LSU to become Auburn's brand-new general manager of football.

The reigning FootballScoop Director of Player Personnel of the Year, Redmond has in short order become one of the top personnel executives in all of college football..

He's the off-the-field architect of LSU's roster overhaul under Kelly and was the lead scout on Jayden Daniels when the Tigers recruited the former Arizona State quarterback out of the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Moreover, it was the work of Redmond -- and a top-notch staff he helped hire -- that accelerated LSU's rebound under Kelly.

The Bayou Bengals had fewer than 40 scholarship players when Kelly arrived in late 2021 after he had established the mark as Notre Dame's all-time winningest coach; work in the Portal and on the traditional recruiting trail helped LSU turn in consecutive 10-win seasons in Kelly's first two years and also saw the Tigers appear in the 2022 SEC Championship game.

Redmond's move to Auburn, however, could be viewed as quite literally generations in the making.

A Franklin, Tennessee, native, who climbed from sports information student-assistant at the University of Tennessee to deeply experienced personnel professional, Redmond's grandparents first met at Auburn -- even before the school was known as Auburn University.

Moreover, Redmond has a cousin who is a former NCAA Champion with a star denoting the stellar career on the Auburn campus.

In addition to Redmond's undergraduate work on Rocky Top, he also logged time at MTSU and Kansas before Austin Thomas plucked him away from the Jayhawks to help run LSU's personnel efforts.

LSU in the past two years signed 247Sports Composite top-7 classes, and as Redmond prepared for his exit from one of the SEC's three sets of Tigers to another one, LSU already garnered commitments from the top-ranked quarterback, running back and wideout, per some industry rankings, in the 2025 class.

Redmond and his wife, Jessica, have two children.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-auburn-executes-major-coup-nabs-top-executive-will-redmond-from-lsu

• Like 7
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Could this be an indicator that Harbaugh is moving to the NFL and Michigan intends to hire Kelly?

I think Kelly bit off more than he can chew at LSU, he can't do a cajun accent, and word is he is getting really tired of eating steamed snake for dinner every night.  I think he would bolt Louisiana for the yankees in Michigan.  They are more his type.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Its more confirmation of what freeze is emphasizing: That if we want to compete with the big boys we have to recruit like the big boys. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I think Kelly bit off more than he can chew at LSU, he can't do a cajun accent, and word is he is getting really tired of eating steamed snake for dinner every night.  I think he would bolt Louisiana for the yankees in Michigan.  They are more his type.

The good thing though about eating steamed snake every night is that you don’t know what part you’re eating.  Cause snakes don’t really have, . . . parts. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Barkchevious said:

The good thing though about eating steamed snake every night is that you don’t know what part you’re eating.  Cause snakes don’t really have, . . . parts. 

fbc9e21d-8d0d-45ae-8e68-0ce12c43f327_text.gif

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Its more confirmation of what freeze is emphasizing: That if we want to compete with the big boys we have to recruit like the big boys. 

We also have to coach and develop those players  

19 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

Y'all just want everything all at once!! Ha

• Haha 1

Corn dog soufflé doesnt appeal to everybody. Or basically, anyone that didnt grow up in LaLa land.

2 hours ago, AU120289 said:

Sure. And doesn't he have a record of doing both?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Sure. And doesn't he have a record of doing both?

Based on what I wrote, he has had some success. I stand corrected. What I left out was winning at a high level and competing for championships, which he hasn’t in the P5 world. Up till this point, CHF is a career 8-4 coach that woefully underperformed this year (except recruiting). Could he hit his stride and take off, I sure hope so that is why they banked on him. He needs way more on the field success this year or year three will be a very hot seat. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

Based on what I wrote, he has had some success. I stand corrected. What I left out was winning at a high level and competing for championships, which he hasn’t in the P5 world. Up till this point, CHF is a career 8-4 coach that woefully underperformed this year (except recruiting). Could he hit his stride and take off, I sure hope so that is why they banked on him. He needs way more on the field success this year or year three will be a very hot seat. 

People keep saying he’s a career 8-4 coach without the context of that being at schools that weren’t close to averaging 8-4 before he got there. 
He has made every program better by a pretty significant margin. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Could this be an indicator that Harbaugh is moving to the NFL and Michigan intends to hire Kelly?

Well, the first domino just fell. Harbaugh has accepted the Chargers job. So Michigan HC job is open now.

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Well, the first domino just fell. Harbaugh has accepted the Chargers job. So Michigan HC job is open now.

It's evil bama's plan: spy a michigan coach. When he fails in the NFL after a year, they'll know he is worthy - sort of a similar scenario.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WillMunny said:

fbc9e21d-8d0d-45ae-8e68-0ce12c43f327_text.gif

But if I had to call it anything, I would say it’s his knee

Probably the most underrated line in the whole movie. So dang funny. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I think Sherrone Moore gets the job. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

That’s the name I’ve seen most frequently as well. I read somewhere that apparently the state of Michigan has some law where a school can’t name a new head coach for 7 days; so if that’s true, expect 6 more days of talking heads throwing names around until a new coach is formally announced. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodford said:

That has been the pretty steady plan for a while now. They aren’t hiring from outside. 

5 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Hire a "GM" and yet, still can't hire a DC

Amazing leadership.

SMH

Agree with second line but not the other two. Lol

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I do too, but huge risk on their part. Probably keeps offensive side on board though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I do too, but huge risk on their part. Probably keeps offensive side on board though.

Yes they probably saw what happened to Alabama’s roster and are worried. Agreed on the risk. I don’t think UM is a coordinator hire job. I would go after DeBoer, Kelly, or Fickell.