Anyone see Hugh’s greatest accomplishment?

keesler

Along the same lines, saw this article earlier today...

Auburn Named Transfer Portal Winner by The Athletic

January 28, 2024
  • Auburn’s coaching staff has successfully acquired key players from the transfer portal, including a skilled wide receiver, a reliable offensive lineman, and solid defensive players, expected to boost the team’s performance in the upcoming 2024 season.
  • Under the leadership of Hugh Freeze, Auburn’s recruiting efforts have improved, with the 2024 class ranked 8th after the early signing period and notable additions from the transfer portal.
  • The notable transfer additions outweigh the losses of starting quarterback Robby Ashford, linebacker Cam Riley, and safety Donovan Kaufman, who have yet to find new landing spots. Auburn’s transfer additions have been rated as four-star transfers by 247Sports.

Auburn’s coaching staff has been successful in acquiring key players from the transfer portal, strengthening the team in crucial areas. The additions of a skilled wide receiver, a reliable offensive lineman, and several solid defensive players are expected to boost Auburn’s performance in the upcoming 2024 season. These acquisitions have caught the attention of outlets like The Athletic, with Manny Navarro highlighting Auburn as one of the “winners” among SEC teams in the transfer portal.

Under the leadership of Hugh Freeze, Auburn’s recruiting efforts have been on the rise. The 2024 class is currently ranked 8th after the early signing period, and the team has also secured talent from the transfer portal. Notable additions include Robert Lewis, a standout receiver from Georgia State who had 70 catches and 877 yards in 2023, Percy Lewis, a left tackle from Mississippi State with seven starts in 2023, Trill Carter, a defensive tackle with 31 career starts from Texas and Minnesota, Dorian Mausi, a linebacker with 27 starts from Duke, and Jerrin Thompson, a safety with 31 starts from Texas.

These new additions outweigh the losses of starting quarterback Robby Ashford, who transferred to South Carolina, as well as linebacker Cam Riley and safety Donovan Kaufman, both of whom ranked among the top 11 in tackles for the team last season and have yet to find new landing spots.

Auburn’s notable transfer additions so far, including Antonio Kite from Alabama, Jerrin Thompson from Texas, Percy Lewis from Mississippi State, and Rico Walker from Maryland, have all been rated as four-star transfers according to 247Sports.

Other SEC teams that have been recognized as “winners” in the transfer portal by Navarro include Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Missouri. Teams like Arkansas and Florida are seen as having “broken even,” while Alabama, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt are viewed as the “losers” in this category.

It’s a stretch but you can’t let your social media accounts go silent even if it’s January. Everything is about recruiting  

• Like 1

He also won the “Best Opposing Coach” award by the New Mexico State University Athletic Department.  🤪  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

What bugs me is that it isn’t even accurate if Im understanding it correctly. Kirby Smart’s first class was ranked 3rd. Ryan Day’s was 5th. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 2

Is this even true? What am I missing?

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/longformarticle/georgia-football-kirby-smart-first-recruiting-class-coming-of-age-132808947/#:~:text=The 2017 recruiting class was,success on paper%2C ranking No.

"The 2017 recruiting class was Kirby Smart's first full cycle as the head coach at Georgia. It was his first as a head coach in general.

It was a tremendous success on paper, ranking No. 3 in the nation per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite team rankings"

3 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

What bugs me is that it isn’t even accurate if Im understanding it correctly. Kirby Smart’s first class was ranked 3rd. Ryan Day’s was 5th. 

Beat me to it. Ryan Day is not SEC. But Kirby is a strange oversight. 

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Beat me to it. Ryan Day is not SEC. But Kirby is a strange oversight. 

Oops. Missed the SEC in the graphic. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

It seems to indicate 'first year'. Is this CHF's first recruiting class/cycle? So, it's the best class for a first year coach in the SEC, that is currently coaching. My gosh, just typing that out was ridiculous. 🙄

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Stop letting facts get in the way! 

15 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Shhhhh……

Don’t bring the freezer burn.

2 hours ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

It seems to indicate 'first year'. Is this CHF's first recruiting class/cycle? So, it's the best class for a first year coach in the SEC, that is currently coaching. My gosh, just typing that out was ridiculous. 🙄

That’s what I’m saying though. It isn’t. Kirby is still coaching. His first recruiting cycle (equivalent to Freeze’s this year) was ranked third. If that’s where they were going with the post, that’s a huge fail to not double check that before putting it out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

That’s what I’m saying though. It isn’t. Kirby is still coaching. His first recruiting cycle (equivalent to Freeze’s this year) was ranked third. If that’s where they were going with the post, that’s a huge fail to not double check that before putting it out.

Facts are in the eye of the beholder. 🤣

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Oh, gotcha. It was such a convoluted title, I couldn't even figure out where it went wrong. 

3 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Exactly!! They also forgot Brian Kelly's first class at LSU was 5th. They used the On3 Industry rankings so I went there and it had the 2023 class for LSU 5th. 247 had the same LSU class 5th overall as well. 

So our Auburn football social media team missed Kirby with a 3rd place class overall and Brian Kelly with a 5th place class overall. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Exactly!! They also forgot Brian Kelly's first class at LSU was 5th. They used the On3 Industry rankings so I went there and it had the 2023 class for LSU 5th. 247 had the same LSU class 5th overall as well. 

So our Auburn football social media team missed Kirby with a 3rd place class overall and Brian Kelly with a 5th place class overall. 

Damn, you're right. 

Also, Sarkisian's first full class at TX was #3. And Venables at OK was #5. Maybe they don't count as SEC coaches until the season starts?

This is a very bad graphic. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Maybe they mean it’s the highest among first year active coaches in the sec…could that be true?

lol…the mental gymnastics…

You mean the highest among coaches that are currently at the end of their first year? If so, Freeze is the only coach. The only other hire last year was Arnett, and … he’s gone. That’s like me saying my wife is the best wife I have. Doesn’t mean she’s not great. But there’s also literally no other competition. First place out of 1 team. Yay!

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes I dont understand this forum of Auburn fans. This is not a joke accomplishment and belittling it is bizarre. SI and ESPN would be all over this (and rightly so) if it were Neutered Dame, Bama, Texas or USC. Far from an irrelevant accomplishment by Hugh & staff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Sometimes I dont understand this forum of Auburn fans. This is not a joke accomplishment and belittling it is bizarre. SI and ESPN would be all over this (and rightly so) if it were Neutered Dame, Bama, Texas or USC. Far from an irrelevant accomplishment by Hugh & staff.

Ahh yes the media hates auburn guy

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7q2v87xeu2j95tn9r0v

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

So this is how you guys like the forum now??? 

It certainly has lost its character. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAG said:

It certainly has lost its character. 

Well luckily the internet's a big place.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1