Men vs Florida Game Thread

We play like world beaters at home but just get dominated on the road. It's truly pathetic and Bruce needs to figure that out because as a coach you cannot let that happen consistently. This game 12% 3 pt and 15 turnovers. FT is terrible too. Had so many chances to get back in it and guards throw it away or foul them on the other end

Edited by Randman5000
  • Thanks 1

SEC Road teams are 26-37 on the road in conference. Auburn is 3-3.  I get it's frustrating to acknowledge it as anything but an excuse, especially when AU is getting boat-raced, but it is what it is.  

It's not like we're watching a highly-touted team fail to meet lofty offseason expectations.  We appear to be what many thought we were, an upper middle place team in the conference.  "Sky is falling" if you will, but just hope the guards get lukewarm in March, get a good matchup in the NCAA tourney as a 6-seed to make a Sweet-16 and keep momentum with the program. 

• Like 1

Trends don't mean anything, but at least we have produced some great teams that have lost in Gainesville. I really wouldn't let this game be the end all be all for how someone evaluates the season. The Miss St loss would stick in my head more than this one tbh. I will mention, I'm also of the type of person that believes curses exist in college sports, unfortunately. 

I think when it comes down to it, Auburn is just an average team. We had an easy front loaded schedule and we got most of our wins early. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Trends don't mean anything, but at least we have produced some great teams that have lost in Gainesville. I really wouldn't let this game be the end all be all for how someone evaluates the season. The Miss St loss would stick in my head more than this one tbh. I will mention, I'm also of the type of person that believes curses exist in college sports, unfortunately. 

I don't think it's the loss that have people pissed off, it's blowing out Alabama one game and not even show up on the road. I mean it's not even worth watching a team like that who is just an automatic L on the road. At least be competitive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Tennessee lost by 17 to a worse SCar team on the road, UConn lost by 15 to Seton Hall (who's also worse than Florida), Arizona lost by 18 to Stanford (a worse team than Florida) on the road

Good teams have definitely lost in comprehensively ugly road losses this season, but you don't want to have too many of them. This is our first thankfully 

Ole Miss is our Road Mecca. This isn't a compliment.

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Curses usually at least have cool stories.  Can we trace the curse at the O-Dome back to anything cool?  Did Wes Byrum's Gator chomp anger the basketball gods lol?

• Haha 1

Hallelujah, we’ve cut the lead to 20! 
It’s on now!

• Haha 2

My only gripe the team still doesn’t understand less is more when it comes to shooting threes. Some points are better than no points

• Like 1

I’m sorry to bring up BP and timeouts but down 20 with 2 minutes to go you call timeout. But don’t call timeout to settle the early. Baffling 

I took the under at least.  I can move the profits over to the Super Bowl National Anthem over.

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

I don't think it's the loss that have people pissed off, it's blowing out Alabama one game and not even show up on the road. I mean it's not even worth watching a team like that who is just an automatic L on the road. At least be competitive.

Well yeah, but if they came to that conclusion, they'd be ignoring Auburn in all the other ranked losses and only basing that on this one. They've literally been competitive in every single road loss except this one lol. I think all three came to one possession in under a minute. 

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Ole Miss is our Road Mecca. This isn't a compliment.

A quad 1 win is a quad 1 win lol. I don't know what's the point of being blunt on the losses and attempting to qualify the win. We need to be better on the road, no one is ignoring that, but it's just an objective fact that we aren't the only highly ranked NET/metrics/AP/whatever team with a bad road loss. We have a better bad road loss in this game than those teams did, as well. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Curses usually at least have cool stories.  Can we trace the curse at the O-Dome back to anything cool?  Did Wes Byrum's Gator chomp anger the basketball gods lol?

That's a good question, I dunno the answer there. I do know Kentucky and Florida are THE SEC basketball programs and we've lost like a combined 60 straight games in both arenas, so it may just be the haves and the have nots...

• Sad 1

We have an oscilating fan base. After a road win against Ole Miss then a dominant home win against bama. We had turned the corner and were really good. Now a Florida team that was well rested and having a whole week to plan for Auburn and Auburn didn't have the energy to compete so now we are a bad team.

We are a very good team but not an elite team. This year that can be said about most of the top teams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After getting killed on the road by us Wednesday, Alabama scored 109 points at LSU today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We have an oscilating fan base. After a road win against Ole Miss then a dominant home win against bama. We had turned the corner and were really good. Now a Florida team that was well rested and having a whole week to plan for Auburn and Auburn didn't have the energy to compete so now we are a bad team.

We are a very good team but not an elite team. This year that can be said about most of the top teams.

It's mind blowing really. And the same people are going to get ready to fly off the handle any time they see anything as small as a 5 point deficit in future games and lavish praise if they get any type of lead. We need to look to the future to the next coach when we lose to Bama-Miss St in one week, and should be ready to start booking trips for the SEC tourney when we beat Vandy and Alabama in the next. I just don't get it 

17 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I think when it comes down to it, Auburn is just an average team. We had an easy front loaded schedule and we got most of our wins early. 

We can forget about winning the SEC regular season title, that's for sure. Unfortunately, Oats and bama will probably win that.

lol weeeeelp boys that looked like how almost all of our games in the O dome that house of horrors for us!!!! @Tiger warned us that this kind of game was most likely coming!!! 30 fuggin years since we have won there!!! 2 years ago was our best chance to break that streak….. and we BLEW IT!!!!! 😭😭

Edited by GwillMac6

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That's a good question, I dunno the answer there. I do know Kentucky and Florida are THE SEC basketball programs and we've lost like a combined 60 straight games in both arenas, so it may just be the haves and the have nots...

Florida has not been a HAVE in bball since Billy D was their coach to be fair. They haven’t fallen off and been awful but they have just been mid most years since. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NES said:

I’m sorry to bring up BP and timeouts but down 20 with 2 minutes to go you call timeout. But don’t call timeout to settle the early. Baffling 

That was to allow the Florida crowd to appreciate our starters..

Edited by Swamp Eagle

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Florida has not been a HAVE in bball since Billy D was their coach to be fair. They haven’t fallen off and been awful but they have just been mid most years since. 

They are just a mid team this year too. Which makes our performance even worse.

5 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

We can forget about winning the SEC regular season title, that's for sure. Unfortunately, Oats and bama will probably win that.

Why? Bama got blown out at Tennessee and In Neville. It happens. You could see this game and what would happen coming from a mile away. They got a week to prepare. A team fighting for their ncaa tourney lives and we were coming off our biggest and most emotional win of the season against a rival. It was a scheduled loss tbh. We may not win the sec but this wasn’t a surprising loss at all. Road games even against solid teams in college bball are hard to come by. We needed a “easy” opponent at home after bama. Alas we don’t live in a perfect world.