Would CBP leave Auburn?

AURex

9 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Whatever. That's not an answer and I'm more than good with it. I don't miss the days I could get a ticket for a a Wednesday night game for 5 bucks and sit wherever I wanted. Have a good night. 

You never did answer my question.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

If Indiana wants BP, who does AU go get? And will we have to throw the bank at them? 

Dusty May

Bucky McMillan

Sleeper name- Dustin Kearns at App State

I've always heard as an AD, you should always have a few names in mind if your guy ever bolts. Those would be a few off the top of my head I would look at. 

13 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Anyone you say. It couldn't possibly be that hard. 

LOL. my question for u was how much money should AU give BP to stay at AU?

• Like 1

JMO - but CBP only leaves if he does not get the apparel company he wants and a men’s BB facility. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

JMO - but CBP only leaves if he does not get the apparel company he wants and a men’s BB facility. 

Agreed, it’s not a $$ thing. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Will Wade

Todd Golden

Will Wade makes too much sense for Auburn if Pearl leaves. Classic choice right there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

BP has elevated the BB program.  No doubt.  But, it had no where to go but up. I can argue that overall Malzahn had as much end result success  as BP.   BP has only got past the 2nd round of NCAA tourney 1 time,  if memory serves.. So, yes he elevated BB more than Gus had to elevate FB, because we had already had more success in FB than BB. But when u compare results during their tenures they are very comparable.  

Barbee proved you could take an awful program and make it worse 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, aucat said:

we should start a  voting here to show your support to CBP, 

Auburn is paying him generational money. He has all the fan love and support that anybody could want. Auburn is a great place to live, work and see children/grandchildren grow. Should he decide to leave in spite of these things, "Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out".

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

You never did answer my question.  

Oh. My bad. I gotcha now. I would start with the fact that unless Indiana or whoever empties the vault , and I mean that to be a historically huge amount of money, it will probably be cheaper to keep him. IF he wants to stay here. AU is probably past the 'dead end for basketball coaches' reputation, thanks to BP, but let's face it, it's not Duke, UConn, UNC, or Indiana. So if BP leaves,  AU would have to throw huge amounts of money for a comparable coach, assuming you could find one that would leave his current job. Paying his buyout from his current school and paying for a new staff would not be cheap, if the coach is worth his salt. So I'd offer BP more than Indiana if I could , as you're gonna pay the money either way.

That's my opinion anyway.

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Auburn is paying him generational money. He has all the fan love and support that anybody could want. Auburn is a great place to live, work and see children/grandchildren grow. Should he decide to leave in spite of these things, "Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out".

ALL of this, and some people say he needs more.

The apparel deal of his choosing, a BB only facility and AU to ink a succession plan placing Steven in the HC position when he does decide to leave. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Oh. My bad. I gotcha now. I would start with the fact that unless Indiana or whoever empties the vault , and I mean that to be a historically huge amount of money, it will probably be cheaper to keep him. IF he wants to stay here. AU is probably past the 'dead end for basketball coaches' reputation, thanks to BP, but let's face it, it's not Duke, UConn, UNC, or Indiana. So if BP leaves,  AU would have to throw huge amounts of money for a comparable coach, assuming you could find one that would leave his current job. Paying his buyout from his current school and paying for a new staff would not be cheap, if the coach is worth his salt. So I'd offer BP more than Indiana if I could , as you're gonna pay the money either way.

I would give u Duke , UConn and UNC. Indiana hasn’t been relevant in years. On top of that Auburn just thrashed them this year. I get it if that his dream job and do what u have to do. I am pretty sure u could get a good coach around CBP salary. Probably could even poach a few from within the SEC.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

49 minutes ago, e808 said:

I would give u Duke , UConn and UNC. Indiana hasn’t been relevant in years. On top of that Auburn just thrashed them this year. I get it if that his dream job and do what u have to do. I am pretty sure u could get a good coach around CBP salary. Probably could even poach a few from within the SEC.

I think all of this “noise” isn’t about him leaving to go anywhere imo. He wants to be at AU. He just wants everything in place so AU can have the best chance to be a championship contender every season. 

It is not feasibly anyways at least imo for Bruce to Indiana to work out. I was reading articles on Indiana’s current coach Mike Woodson contract and his buyout alone will still be 12 million after April first. Then you have Bruce’s buyout. It was at 17 million last year. I’m sure it has gone down some but not to much. Then you would have to pay an enormous salary to get him. That is why if Indiana decided to make a change the best bet is for them to get Dusty May the FAU coach who is an Indiana alum and who has a low buyout number. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

BP has elevated the BB program.  No doubt.  But, it had no where to go but up. I can argue that overall Malzahn had as much end result success  as BP.   BP has only got past the 2nd round of NCAA tourney 1 time,  if memory serves.. So, yes he elevated BB more than Gus had to elevate FB, because we had already had more success in FB than BB. But when u compare results during their tenures they are very comparable.  

I'm not a Malzahn hater but come on. Malzahn had 1 conference title in 8 years. Pearl has 2 reg season titles and a tourney title in 10 years. That alone is a huge difference, not even taking into account the differences between football and basketball historically at AU. 

17 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Getting to the tourney is nice. Would also be nice to make some noise once we get there.  68 teams make the tourney. 

Pearl has taken us to the NCAA tourney four times (would be five if covid didn't cancel the 2020 tourney with what might have been his best team at AU) and will take us there again this season! He has 7 NCAA tourney wins of our 19 in program history (37%). Malzahn made 7 bowl games and had 2 wins of our 24 wins in program history (8%). 

The discussion about how much any coach is worth is a worthy one, but stop acting like Pearl and Malzhan are remotely similar on success or anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I will just enjoy the success of bball. It’s hard to argue ball vs football. In conference u get two cracks at most teams in bball and the sec has been top heavy in football. Nonetheless, let’s get these dubs this week

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I get your point. But the toughest job in sports is to take a school that is a complete non-contender and make them relevant.   How many other coaches can you name besides Pearl that have accomplished that? Damn few.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I'm not a Malzahn hater but come on. Malzahn had 1 conference title in 8 years. Pearl has 2 reg season titles and a tourney title in 10 years. That alone is a huge difference, not even taking into account the differences between football and basketball historically at AU. 

Pearl has taken us to the NCAA tourney four times (would be five if covid didn't cancel the 2020 tourney with what might have been his best team at AU) and will take us there again this season! He has 7 NCAA tourney wins of our 19 in program history (37%). Malzahn made 7 bowl games and had 2 wins of our 24 wins in program history (8%). 

The discussion about how much any coach is worth is a worthy one, but stop acting like Pearl and Malzhan are remotely similar on success or anything else. 

The depth of which bball came out of is significant.  I'm by no means a gus Homer. But, he got us to a Natty game. Won an SEC title, plated for another. 

BP did have a big hole to climb out of. But end result is 1 final 4.... and that was the only time we have got past the 2nd round on his tenure. If u measure success by only making the ncaa tourney that's a different conversation.  My whole point is don't back the Brinks truck up. New BB facility,  cool... Nike , cool. BP is paid highly enuf IMO.

56 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I get your point. But the toughest job in sports is to take a school that is a complete non-contender and make them relevant.   How many other coaches can you name besides Pearl that have accomplished that? Damn few.

So how much is that worth to keep him?

18 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The depth of which bball came out of is significant.  I'm by no means a gus Homer. But, he got us to a Natty game. Won an SEC title, plated for another. 

BP did have a big hole to climb out of. But end result is 1 final 4.... and that was the only time we have got past the 2nd round on his tenure. If u measure success by only making the ncaa tourney that's a different conversation.  My whole point is don't back the Brinks truck up. New BB facility,  cool... Nike , cool. BP is paid highly enuf IMO.

I hear you, and I'm not sure we really disagree on the coaching salary issue. But Malzhan did things that had all been done before. Pearl has done things that have never been done at Auburn or even the entire State of Alabama. Yes a national championship is the ultimate goal, but to dismiss a final four just seems short sighted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I hear you, and I'm not sure we really disagree on the coaching salary issue. But Malzhan did things that had all been done before. Pearl has done things that have never been done at Auburn or even the entire State of Alabama. Yes a national championship is the ultimate goal, but to dismiss a final four just seems short sighted. 

Not dismissing it at all. If u want to compare the holes that had to be dug out of. BP wins easily. I don't know how else to say it. I hope BP stays. But I wouldn't pay him more than what he makes right now to do it. 50 million contract is pretty sweet.

Dusty May got FAU to the Final 4 last year. They are not a blue blood. He makes 1.5 mil a yr.