Would CBP leave Auburn?

AURex

8 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

UA shoes are trash.  That is probably the most important piece of gear for most sports.  

The rest of their gear has been good but at this point is no better than anyone else’s.  

Nike doesn’t need us.  That is true.  However, like most companies of their size, they desire a monopoly.  Unless UnderArmor offers the biggest deal they have ever given a school, I prefer we go with the company that gives us a better competitive edge.  Not edge as in over other Nike schools but over what UnderArmor gives us.  

I get what you are saying about a USA bias but that doesn’t make it more attractive to athletes.  

Good points! You have to think about what recruits like and want. And Nike is what the "cool kids" want and wear. It's like this older coach I know that coaches at a private school. He is always complaining about other schools getting all the talent. I was talking to him one day, and he said he hates all the bright colored shoes that players wear nowadays, and prefers his whole team to wear plain, uniform colors. He said, "I would never allow all that gaudy crap". I was thinking to myself, "well, that's your right, but you're not going to get players until you get with the times".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Bruce came out with a strong statement on IVF and Alabama law makers. I wonder if he would want out. 

He did that because it directly affects his son and daughter in law. How do I know? He said so in that press conference.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

UA shoes are trash.  That is probably the most important piece of gear for most sports.  

Curry has to get all the props in the world for getting kids to buy shoes from that line. I've seen guys from our team hoop at the rec and even they don't hoop in UAs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The apparel deal is certainly important to the coaches and the players, not just in FB and BB, but other sports as well. But the issue with administrators is more about money. Auburn ain't Oregon, so Nike is not dumping historic totals on our Tigers. UA is fighting for their lives, losing client schools.

I know a lot of players are caught up in the social wonder of Nike. And that affects recruiting for some recruits. But is the issue great enough to encourage CBP to leave?

Edited by AURex

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

• Like 1

I would be lying to say I didn’t religiously watch Indiana’s last 2 games…  I bet I wasn’t the only AU fan to do so! Both games were Indiana wins. So we did it y’all we contributed and helped facilitate this!! 😁🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

But... But... 

• Haha 1

This is the old situation where you be the legend at one place or be at most second best at another. I've got no reservation about Pearl possibly loving Indiana. To say that Auburn is a bad situation is rather short sighted. Pearl will likely go down as the best coach in Auburn history. He is deserving of the accolades for building the Auburn program. He will likely have his name on Auburn basketball buildings in the future. He will get almost anything he wants. From reports, he wants Steven Pearl to be the head coach in waiting and a more basketball oriented apparel deal. Auburn is poised to sign with Nike. I see no reason Auburn wouldn't give Steven Pearl the HCIW tag. But then again Auburn did run off a historically great swim coach. So what do I know?

Edited by Chaotic_zx
Didn't proofread. Fixed typo.
  • Like 4

I can’t lie to y’all. Reading Indiana’s message boards the last 2 weeks has been like looking in the mirror tbh 😁🤭…. How they act about their basketball program is how we are about our football program. Their administration just seems in complete disarray and always in turmoil and always drama going on behind the scenes just reading what their fans say.  Their fans are so quick to want to fire coaches. Almost immediately after a coach gets there. Their current coach has been to back to back NCAA Tourney’s his first 2 years there after they hadn’t been in all of their previous coach 4 seasons. Yes he’s having a bad season this year but sheesh!!!! 😂😂

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I can’t lie to y’all. Reading Indiana’s message boards the last 2 weeks has been like looking in the mirror tbh 😁🤭…. How they act about their basketball program is how we are about our football program. Their administration just seems in complete disarray and always in turmoil and always drama going on behind the scenes just reading what their fans say.  Their fans are so quick to want to fire coaches. Almost immediately after a coach gets there. Their current coach has been to back to back NCAA Tourney’s his first 2 years there after they hadn’t been in all of their previous coaches 4 seasons. Yes he’s having a bad season this year but sheesh!!!! 😂😂

I do not disagree with fans having unrealistic expectations. Being that as it is, there is crazy amounts of money being thrown around in college sports. The athletes and coaches have no room to complain about criticism. The fans are what allows them the privileged life they lead. There has to be accountability and a payoff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

This is the old situation where you be the legend at one place or be at most second best at another. I've got no reservation about Pearl possibly loving Indiana. To say that Auburn is a bad situation is rather short sighted. Pearl will likely go down as the best coach in Auburn history. He is deserving of the accolades for building the Auburn program. He will likely have his name on Auburn basketball buildings in the future. He will get almost anything he wants. From reports, he wants Steven Pearl to be the head coach in waiting and a more basketball oriented apparel deal. Auburn is poised to sign with Nike. I see no reason Auburn wouldn't give Steven Pearl the HCIW tag. But then again Auburn did run off a historically great swim coach. So what do I know?

Some people have said we are leaning Nike - is this like insiders beating the drum on this narrative? I don't like listening to insiders, but if it gives me hope I'll be able to wear Auburn themed Nike gear, I'll listen to something that fits my agenda! 

• Haha 1

Twitter is telling me that the Dybantsa recruit is signed to a Nike deal, but it expires before he would end up at a college. That being said, I would think they'd want to re-up with the guy. Probably doesn't have a real effect on whether or not we would sign with Nike, but I think it would help if we did end up going that direction. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Some people have said we are leaning Nike - is this like insiders beating the drum on this narrative? I don't like listening to insiders, but if it gives me hope I'll be able to wear Auburn themed Nike gear, I'll listen to something that fits my agenda! 

Jay G Tate came out and said it in a Drain video then realized what he was saying and walked it back to (paraphrasing) it is the most logical and what he thinks is going to happen. Whether or not you take him at his word or not is up to you.  I have no way to verify one way or another. It just seems to be the most logical choice to me.

JLee also alluded to it but didn't commit to it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Jay G Tate came out and said it in a Drain video then realized what he was saying and walked it back to (paraphrasing) it is the most logical and what he thinks is going to happen. Whether or not you take him at his word or not is up to you.  I have no way to verify one way or another. It just seems to be the most logical choice to me.

JLee also alluded to it but didn't commit to it.

I appreciate it, I just wanted an idea if you heard it from the talking heads or if it was something you heard yourself. Ty!

• Like 1

Friendly reminder. Political posts and tweets go in the Political Forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You really can’t compare Gus and Bruce. Gus going to the NC game his first seasons is like a guy taking out a girl on a first date- he brings the flowers, opens the doors for her, pulls out her seat for her and walks her to the door for a really impressive first date. Then every date after that pretty much went downhill because he stopped doing the little things that made the first impression. Bruce on the other hand keeps doing those things year after year and not only has he won over the team, he’s won over the entire family. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, gr82be said:

You really can’t compare Gus and Bruce. Gus going to the NC game his first seasons is like a guy taking out a girl on a first date- he brings the flowers, opens the doors for her, pulls out her seat for her and walks her to the door for a really impressive first date. Then every date after that pretty much went downhill because he stopped doing the little things that made the first impression. Bruce on the other hand keeps doing those things year after year and not only has he won over the team, he’s won over the entire family. 

IMG_6824.gif

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Friendly reminder. Political posts and tweets go in the Political Forum.

Just be consistent, if GT’s post was not political; is mine showing the legislature solving the problem political?

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Just be consistent, if GT’s post was not political; is mine showing the legislature solving the problem political?

@I_M4_AU It is but his post didn't put the politics on full blast in the form of posting a tweet like yours was. I didn't see his because I don't comb threads looking for politics. Couldn't miss your if I tried.

I have not been able to read all the posts here so sorry if I am repeating here.   My understanding is BP is asking for SP to be named head coach in waiting.  IMO SP does not have near enough experience to be a HC at AU.  I suspect AD Cohen feels the same...  

Just now, LPTiger said:

I have not been able to read all the posts here so sorry if I am repeating here.   My understanding is BP is asking for SP to be named head coach in waiting.  IMO SP does not have near enough experience to be a HC at AU.  I suspect AD Cohen feels the same...  

Duke gave scheyer the keys with even less assistant coaching experience than Steven has now. And he ONLY took over for the GOAT.  I’m not worried about life after BP tbh. 97% chance it won’t be close to as good. Especially the immediate successor. We have a great coach not a great program (yet). Do whatever it takes to keep BP happy and keep him here for the long haul. Worry about the “consequences “ later. Steven as next head coach is like a lottery ticket. Who knows? Maybe we will get lucky. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Duke gave scheyer the keys with even less assistant coaching experience than Steven has now. And he ONLY took over for the GOAT.  I’m not worried about life after BP tbh. 97% chance it won’t be close to as good. Especially the immediate successor. We have a great coach not a great program (yet). Do whatever it takes to keep BP happy and keep him here for the long haul. Worry about the “consequences “ later. Steven as next head coach is like a lottery ticket. Who knows? Maybe we will get lucky. 

If the program is still humming when Bruce decides to call it quits, I would be in favor of letting Steven take over. But I am a bit wary of making the commitment too early. What you wouldn't want to happen is have it in writing that Steven will be the successor, then Bruce's tenure end on a sour note (like a 2021 type season or two). Then we might be bound by contract, but would probably want to go in a different direction.

Edited by arktiger1975

34 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

If the program is still humming when Bruce decides to call it quits, I would be in favor of letting Steven take over. But I am a bit wary of making the commitment too early. What you wouldn't want to happen is have it in writing that Steven will be the successor, then Bruce's tenure end on a sour note (like a 2021 type season or two). Then we might be bound by contract, but would probably want to go in a different direction.

If it’s good enough for Houston and Kelvin Sampson to have this type of agreement it should be good enough for AU like @Dual-Threat Rigby says. The Pearl Dynasty at AU needs to be a thing!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1