Would CBP leave Auburn?

AURex

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Sound financial answer

I do feel like Auburn would be willing to make him the highest paid NCAA coach for the sole fact of what he has done and how much he “fits” here. At least to a major extent . 

30 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So how much is that worth to keep him?

Probably pretty much what you said with regards to BB facility and Nike.  Give him what he needs to succeed, but I wouldn't make any major changes to his contract.  NIL money as needed.  Hope that's not a sticking point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I do feel like Auburn would be willing to make him the highest paid NCAA coach for the sole fact of what he has done and how much he “fits” here. At least to a major extent . 

Cal at KY makes 8.5 million yr

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Not dismissing it at all. If u want to compare the holes that had to be dug out of. BP wins easily. I don't know how else to say it. I hope BP stays. But I wouldn't pay him more than what he makes right now to do it. 50 million contract is pretty sweet.

Dusty May got FAU to the Final 4 last year. They are not a blue blood. He makes 1.5 mil a yr.

I get what u are saying in football u only can afford maybe only one loss and only two team played for the championship at the time. In bball u can be decent and make the field of 68. U could also luck up and win the tournament to get in. All we can do is see how it shakes out. There are some young eager coaches out there and Auburn isn’t the same in bball any more

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Cal at KY makes 8.5 million yr

And Kentucky fans seem ready to rid of him. That accountability sure does go up with higher pay. It won’t be enough to just be content anymore.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

And Kentucky fans seem ready to rid of him. That accountability sure does go up with higher pay. It won’t be enough to just be content anymore.

They are definitely ready to get rid of him.

• Like 1

If Bruce decides he wants to leave then let him. 
He won’t but throwing more money at him is not the answer .

I like to think Bruce is above the come to Auburn get rich and leave , fired crowd. The spotlights on you Freeze.

• Like 1

I just looked up the highest paid coaches in men's college basketball and the top 5 highest paid as of 2024 are: 

1.) Bill Self $10.6 million per year

2.) John Calipari $8.5 million per year

3.) Tom Izzo $5.7 million per year

4. A) Rick Barnes $5.45 million per year

4. B.) Bruce Pearl $5.45 million per year

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

He’s not going anywhere…..

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I just looked up the highest paid coaches in men's college basketball and the top 5 highest paid as of 2024 are: 

1.) Bill Self $10.6 million per year

2.) John Calipari $8.5 million per year

3.) Tom Izzo $5.7 million per year

4. A) Rick Barnes $5.45 million per year

4. B.) Bruce Pearl $5.45 million per year

Impressive group considering the number of nationals championships and appearances with Self, Calipari, Izzo, and Barnes. 

9 hours ago, autigeremt said:

He’s not going anywhere…..

Agree.  When (and maybe before) he retires Auburn will name (in some form or fashion) the basketball facility after him.  Maybe the Pearl Palace at Neville Arena?  He will get recognized for what he has done for AU basketball.  Steven will be the next coach.  Auburn will sign a deal with Nike.  And we will get a basketball only practice facility.  All of this is in the works as the powers that be at AU know what is needed and necessary for us to take the next steps in making AU a true powerhouse in basketball.

Auburn has been too good to Bruce and his family for him to head to IU or anywhere else at this stage of his life.  And of course Bruce has been great for AU too.  Of all the coaches I have witnessed in my 65 years of following college sports Bruce Pearl is the most appreciative I have ever seen.  He's got it good at AU and he knows it.  I'm not the least bit worried.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 10:33 AM, tinman1 said:

Agree.  When (and maybe before) he retires Auburn will name (in some form or fashion) the basketball facility after him.  Maybe the Pearl Palace at Neville Arena?  He will get recognized for what he has done for AU basketball.  Steven will be the next coach.  Auburn will sign a deal with Nike.  And we will get a basketball only practice facility.  All of this is in the works as the powers that be at AU know what is needed and necessary for us to take the next steps in making AU a true powerhouse in basketball.

Auburn has been too good to Bruce and his family for him to head to IU or anywhere else at this stage of his life.  And of course Bruce has been great for AU too.  Of all the coaches I have witnessed in my 65 years of following college sports Bruce Pearl is the most appreciative I have ever seen.  He's got it good at AU and he knows it.  I'm not the least bit worried.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is essentially exactly what I said to my FIL (a die-hard UConn fan, but also roots for Auburn for me) when he sent me a CBS Sports article saying that CBP was the top target of various HC openings (I think Ohio State, Louisville, and Indiana but I don't quote me on that). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CT Tiger said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is essentially exactly what I said to my FIL (a die-hard UConn fan, but also roots for Auburn for me) when he sent me a CBS Sports article saying that CBP was the top target of various HC openings (I think Ohio State, Louisville, and Indiana but I don't quote me on that). 

You're right!! Ohio State, Louisville and West Virginia (when they fired Bob Huggins) have all been rumored to have contacted Bruce's agent to see if he would be interested. I think most of the Indiana talk was mostly from IU fans who wanted Bruce to come there because they knew it was his dream job. He was also familiar with coaching in Indiana because he coached Southern Indiana for 9 years, got them to back to back National title games in 94 and 95 and won the D2 Natty in 95.

Who would have ever dreamed that the Auburn basketball coach would be pursued by Ohio State, Louisville, West Va. and Indiana? Just further proves how far Bruce has brought this program in his 10 years here.

• Like 2

I prefer we stay with UA. They have had some hard times financially, but have been good partners. It speaks highly of UA innovation to see how they pushed giant Nike to up their game several years back. Think about that given all the years Nike has been in biz.  UA has cut their quality specs for some retail clothing, but not what the athletes get. UA leadership is pro USA which I personally appreciate. Nike obviously has many good products but their relationship with China and taking political stances like Disney has grown more than old. Stick to sports and support your own country first. 

The one thing that would change my mind is obviously the deal amount. Notre Dame has a much sweeter deal than us last time.  ND has not been world beaters in years so the delta between their last deal and ours was too much in my mind. Given all the SEC teams Nike has and the fact we have been a midtier SEC for 10 years (thanks Gus/Harsin) they don’t need us. I just don’t see a lot of motivation for Nike to give us a stellar deal. Stay clear of Adidas  

War Eagle 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCTiger1982 said:

I prefer we stay with UA. They have had some hard times financially, but have been good partners. It speaks highly of UA innovation to see how they pushed giant Nike to up their game several years back. Think about that given all the years Nike has been in biz.  UA has cut their quality specs for some retail clothing, but not what the athletes get. UA leadership is pro USA which I personally appreciate. Nike obviously has many good products but their relationship with China and taking political stances like Disney has grown more than old. Stick to sports and support your own country first. 

The one thing that would change my mind is obviously the deal amount. Notre Dame has a much sweeter deal than us last time.  ND has not been world beaters in years so the delta between their last deal and ours was too much in my mind. Given all the SEC teams Nike has and the fact we have been a midtier SEC for 10 years (thanks Gus/Harsin) they don’t need us. I just don’t see a lot of motivation for Nike to give us a stellar deal. Stay clear of Adidas  

War Eagle 

IMG_7179.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCTiger1982 said:

War Eagle 

Chuck and Bo would like a word with you.

• Like 1

First, Bruce isn't going anywhere.  He is as connected as anyone with the decision making process concerning the apparel deal. My understanding is that Bruce initially favors Adidas due to their NIL program structure.  However, Bruce will do what is best for Auburn.  If Nike will pay, then we will likely go that direction, but that is a big IF. 

2 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

War Eagle 

Nike, in general, doesn't give stellar deals to anyone.  Our UA deal has paid us more than Nike has paid bama for years.

If BP leaves, I'll be devastated.  AU basketball was a laughing stock for decades before he came and built a program from ashes and feces.

He freaking took AU to a Final 4, and if not for a missed doubling dribbling call, he would have led us to a National Championship.

Who does that?  BP, that's who.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

War Eagle 

UA shoes are trash.  That is probably the most important piece of gear for most sports.  

The rest of their gear has been good but at this point is no better than anyone else’s.  

Nike doesn’t need us.  That is true.  However, like most companies of their size, they desire a monopoly.  Unless UnderArmor offers the biggest deal they have ever given a school, I prefer we go with the company that gives us a better competitive edge.  Not edge as in over other Nike schools but over what UnderArmor gives us.  

I get what you are saying about a USA bias but that doesn’t make it more attractive to athletes.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Bruce came out with a strong statement on IVF and Alabama law makers. I wonder if he would want out. 

That will get resolved sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1